Jeep not starting after clutch and transfer case replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep not starting after clutch and transfer case replacement

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
_Chippy_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep not starting after clutch and transfer case replacement

I was hoping you guys could help me out. I've got a 1994 YJ. Not too long ago, the rear wheel draft shaft came apart at the U joint while I was driving. Needless to say, the transfer case didn't survive the incident. The tranny was having issues anyway, so I had a friend of mine replace both the tranny and transfer case. Anyway, after all said and done, the Jeep will not start. It doesn't even try to turn over. You turn the key and dash goes out and comes back on when you release it. No clicking, or any noise really, from under the hood. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Disclaimer: First off, the friend in question is no longer available. He travels for work and is currently out of the state, on night shift. We've been playing phone tag with no luck. Secondly, I'm an industrial mechanic by trade. I know a little about auto mechanics, and understand some of the lingo, but I am in no way, shape, or form an auto mechanic. I have no issues doing the actual work, but if I ask a stupid question, please bear with me.

_Chippy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What transmission? Fill out your profile please.

Silly question but did you hook up the starter wires when you put the tranny back in and the starter back on?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
SamzJeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Neutral safety switch?
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
_Chippy_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

AX5 tranny I'm pretty sure. I thought about the Neutral Safety Switch, but looking online, I'm inclined to believe it doesn't have one. I've never tried to start it without pressing the clutch in before all of this to be honest.
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No neutral safety switch....

Does everything but the starter come on?? (lights, cel, fuel pump prime)

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

make sure the engine ground stap is hooked up. its easy to forget about it
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the lights go out when you hit the key and come back on when you let off. I would beleive eithier your battery is dead or the start is bound up. So make sure your battery is charged first.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the battery is fully charged. As previously mentioned check the grounds especially the engine ground strap. Check BOTH battery cables to make sure they are clean and tight. Give the starter a couple of hard taps with a hammer, since it may be bound up.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You dont have a Nuestral Saftey switch but you have the wiring. I bet your reverse lights are not working either. There is wiring and a connector going down the pass side of the engine compartment near the middle. (I think its a 6 pin connector, not 6 wires but 6 pin)You either didnt connect it or the wiring at the tcase/trans.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
_Chippy_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Reverse lights come on. I'm getting ready to crawl under it and play with the starter. I'll give you guys and update when I know more. And thanks for all of the replies!
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
_Chippy_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quick question. I didn't take part in the starter being removed when we did the tranny. Is there a way to make sure it was wired back correctly. I know, under normal circumstances, you label the wires before removing it. What if the wires were attached to the wrong posts?
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jumper the starter relay in the PDC from pin 30 to 87. It put power to the brown wire on the starter and should crank it over unless the NSS is messed up. You should also try using the jumper cables and put power from the battery strait to the starter.
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
_Chippy_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Jumper the starter relay in the PDC from pin 30 to 87. It put power to the brown wire on the starter and should crank it over unless the NSS is messed up. You should also try using the jumper cables and put power from the battery strait to the starter.
Alright, put that in slightly stupid terms for me.
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
_Chippy_
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I tried jumping the battery, no avail. I do get what sounds like an electrical motor going when I crank the key. I assume its the fuel pump?
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Take a 3" piece of wire and pull the starter relay in the pdc. Look at the side of the relay it has a pic of the numbers on the side of the relay. In the relay socket the relay plugs into, connect the wire from 30 to 87 and see if the starter turns over. If it doesnt use a jumper cable and connect from battery positive to the hot terminal on the starter and see if it starts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.