Jeep Newbie - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Newbie

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 10-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike6901 View Post

If I were you (and will be in a few months), I would start off by going through the entire Jeep and performing a full tune up and maintenance first before throwing mods at it. That way, you know what you have, how to work on the Jeep a little and bypass some of those annoying issues that can crop up.

-Change the oil, diff grease, xfer case, tranny, engine oil and coolant (flush). Inspect fluids for anything out of the ordinary.
-Check your coolant hoses, thermostat and radiator. Replace as needed and pick up some spare hose and clamps.
-Change the fuel filter and check all of your fuel lines for rust and/or cracks.
-Pull a spark plug or better yet, change them 'cause they are cheap.
-Inspect the cap, rotor and plug wires, or better yet, just replace them 'cause they are cheap too.
-Check your vacuum hoses and wiring for anything cracked, broken or rigged. Fix splices and secure anything that is hanging loose. Nothing sucks worse than electrical and vacuum gremlins that ruin your day.
-Check your u-joints in the drive shafts and verify they are in good shape (I would replace them anyway before installing a lift with greasable type)

At this point, you would have spent some money but have gotten dirty and know the ins and outs of your Jeep. You never know what the previous owners have messed with or not done like they should.

I performed this on my old Land Cruiser and you would NOT believe the crap that I found that was hidden from view. I ended up having to re-wire most of the back half of the truck because of how many splices and rigs there were. I also found a u-joint that self distructed in my hands, an oil seal that would have gone any day, and enough other things that made be feel real good about taking that time.

Now you are ready to throw mods at it.
I second this heavily.
U neglected to do this on my last YJ and regretted it constantly as problems seemed to arise daily that could have been found and resolved had I just took the time and spent the money to look and fix them preemptively.

With my lastest YJ this has been my plan. I have already done full fluid changes (oil, trans, tcase, different, coolant), cap, rotor, wires, plugs, checked all the ujoints, replaced the battery, and am cleaning up the poor stereo splices. I have an exhaust gasket, fuel filter, and fuse block to still put in. After that I'm confident 99% of future gremlins have been avoided and my YJ will be the reliable DD I need it to be.

Last bit of advice I have is to wheel that thing stock for a while. You'll be blown away at what it can do and have a better idea of what mods you want to do.

Cheers

Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
JeremiahYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I will be leaving it stock at least until next spring/summer. For it being an 88 it runs fantastic! Although I only got it for 2200 with 106k miles and some rust. I thought the price was right. Right now I'm about to change the air filter and some other things. I will be starting school soon so the repairs are going to come a bit slow but they will get done.
JeremiahYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahYJ
Yeah I will be leaving it stock at least until next spring/summer. For it being an 88 it runs fantastic! Although I only got it for 2200 with 106k miles and some rust. I thought the price was right. Right now I'm about to change the air filter and some other things. I will be starting school soon so the repairs are going to come a bit slow but they will get done.
Just do a complete tune up , replace all the fluids with a quality synthetic. My 89 is stock with a 30" metric tire. Research your modifications and buy the individual components vs a kit. It will save you a ton of money. TJ flares will really open up your wheel wells. So you can fit 31's stock. I am going to install a prothane 1" BL and a set of 1/2" or 1" boomerang shackles on my YJ in the next few months to get it up in the air a little I will also be doing a MML lift when I buy my lift springs and shocks. So when I install a Sye I can fab up a flat belly pan.

Thus planning out your build will save you money and knowing what parts you can build off of.
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
JeremiahYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Just do a complete tune up , replace all the fluids with a quality synthetic. My 89 is stock with a 30" metric tire. Research your modifications and buy the individual components vs a kit. It will save you a ton of money. TJ flares will really open up your wheel wells. So you can fit 31's stock. I am going to install a prothane 1" BL and a set of 1/2" or 1" boomerang shackles on my YJ in the next few months to get it up in the air a little I will also be doing a MML lift when I buy my lift springs and shocks. So when I install a Sye I can fab up a flat belly pan.

Thus planning out your build will save you money and knowing what parts you can build off of.
I will try to shoot and get that tune up done by this weekend as with the fluids. I will definitely start planning my build I never really thought of buying individual parts versus buying a kit. I
JeremiahYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.