Jeep Newbie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Newbie

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
JeremiahYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Newbie

Hello fellow jeep owners, I just recently got my Jeep Wrangler 88 last Saturday and was wondering if you guys can help me out a bit? with mods and how things work.

JeremiahYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome.

Specific questions will yield better results.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
JeremiahYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Which mod would have less down the road problems; suspension or body lift?
Unread 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
JeremiahYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also how would I go about dealing with rust? I live near Chicago so the winters get pretty intense is there any spray I can use to stop the form of rust?
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahYJ View Post
Which mod would have less down the road problems; suspension or body lift?
You don't really want to go above 1" with a body lift. Larger body lifts put a ton of strain on the body mount locations. There have been instances where cabs have detached from the frame due to the long body lifts.

Suspension lift is of course more money. Leaf springs are a pretty simple technology so they arn't very pricy. You would first need to decide if you want to go spring over or remain spring under. As each option will yield much different needs with regards to what suspension leaf springs to get... Among other things.

Quote:
Also how would I go about dealing with rust? I live near Chicago so the winters get pretty intense is there any spray I can use to stop the form of rust?
Clean the underside of your jeep often. Especially in winter. Salted roads will absolutly DESTORY a YJ. I have heard of some people completely cleaning and then painting the underside of their jeeps and frame with udnercoating or POR15. This is a good way to go.

For a temporary solution, clean underneath it and spray it in WD40 or coat it lightly in motor oil... Sure will make a mess of things, but it will protect... Again, the "right way" is to chase out all of the existing rust, and apply some sort of heavy undercoating.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

start with things you dont have to redo later. like 1" body lift and TJ flares.
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was from Idaho and rust free when I bought it 4 or so years ago.

Every fall and every spring I clean the underneath really well at the car wash (the first time I did it I used orange grease cutter and then wiped everything down with acetone). Then spray everything that is rusty with Rustoleum Rust reformer. Probably not as good as Por 15 or the stuff from eastwood, but if you keep it at, it seems to be doing the job.

I take to to the car wash and wash the rust off every chance I get during the winter.

I also did the Eastwood inside the frame treatment (one can on each side).
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
JeremiahYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys for the info! As you can tell I'm fairly new to Jeeps and the community. I will post some pictures of my jeep sometime this week. Back to the lifts, will a 1inch body lift clear 31"? Also, if you guys can post pictures of your jeeps?
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you guys for the info! As you can tell I'm fairly new to Jeeps and the community. I will post some pictures of my jeep sometime this week. Back to the lifts, will a 1inch body lift clear 31"? Also, if you guys can post pictures of your jeeps?
Welcome to the cool kids table!

A 1" BL will help clear 31s. I'd say you need at least 1.5" to really "clear." So look into a 1/2" shackle lift. The YJ I just picked up has 31s on stock springs and I have destroyed the flares the last couple trips out.

And since you wanted pics....

My last '93

My current '95 (Look at that back tire just eating up that flare!)

Aaaaand my brother's new '94

Again, welcome to the forums. Figure out how to use the search function. It will save you a TON of headaches! Read, read, read, and read some more on here. There in more information on JF then you can imagine.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Welcome to the cool kids table!

A 1" BL will help clear 31s. I'd say you need at least 1.5" to really "clear." So look into a 1/2" shackle lift. The YJ I just picked up has 31s on stock springs and I have destroyed the flares the last couple trips out.

And since you wanted pics....

My last '93

My current '95 (Look at that back tire just eating up that flare!)

Aaaaand my brother's new '94

Again, welcome to the forums. Figure out how to use the search function. It will save you a TON of headaches! Read, read, read, and read some more on here. There in more information on JF then you can imagine.

Cheers
The pics....Lucky Peak??

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Spike6901

Quote:
Hello fellow jeep owners, I just recently got my Jeep Wrangler 88 last Saturday and was wondering if you guys can help me out a bit? with mods and how things work.
If I were you (and will be in a few months), I would start off by going through the entire Jeep and performing a full tune up and maintenance first before throwing mods at it. That way, you know what you have, how to work on the Jeep a little and bypass some of those annoying issues that can crop up.

-Change the oil, diff grease, xfer case, tranny, engine oil and coolant (flush). Inspect fluids for anything out of the ordinary.
-Check your coolant hoses, thermostat and radiator. Replace as needed and pick up some spare hose and clamps.
-Change the fuel filter and check all of your fuel lines for rust and/or cracks.
-Pull a spark plug or better yet, change them 'cause they are cheap.
-Inspect the cap, rotor and plug wires, or better yet, just replace them 'cause they are cheap too.
-Check your vacuum hoses and wiring for anything cracked, broken or rigged. Fix splices and secure anything that is hanging loose. Nothing sucks worse than electrical and vacuum gremlins that ruin your day.
-Check your u-joints in the drive shafts and verify they are in good shape (I would replace them anyway before installing a lift with greasable type)

At this point, you would have spent some money but have gotten dirty and know the ins and outs of your Jeep. You never know what the previous owners have messed with or not done like they should.

I performed this on my old Land Cruiser and you would NOT believe the crap that I found that was hidden from view. I ended up having to re-wire most of the back half of the truck because of how many splices and rigs there were. I also found a u-joint that self distructed in my hands, an oil seal that would have gone any day, and enough other things that made be feel real good about taking that time.

Now you are ready to throw mods at it.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
seatown7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

image-981603152.jpg

Here is a pic of my 2001 TJ with a 1 inch body lift and 31s. Welcome from another noob.
seatown7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome!

As Sparrows said I'd look into some boom shackles and go from there. You can find them for around $80 on up. Dont go over board with them just 5/8 to 1/2 should do it. Theres a guy on the forum that makes them, somebody around here can help ya out.

Heres my 87.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
JeremiahYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Should of probably said this earlier but my jeep will be a daily driver as this is my first car (I know a jeep isn't a car) I just want to add a little 'muscle' to my jeep my next jeep though, I will want to do some off roading. but thank you Spike6901 as well as the rest of you. I definitely will read, read, and read even more through the forums, half of the time I don't even know what to look for but I will get there. I will have pictures of my baby up later on today!
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thats how we all started... lol welcome to the F12.

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.