Jeep made a lot of extra oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep made a lot of extra oil?

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep made a lot of extra oil?

Wheeled pretty hard Friday night, parked it around 2 a.m. (or so... I think) Saturday morning and it sat parked by the camp fire at deer camp til Sunday afternoon. I broke camp and packed my gear and started heading back home. After driving for 10 minutes or I noticed a miss... then a lack of power, down shifting on hills I typically don't need to and then struggling to get back up to speed, then I realize the temp's creeping up and accept the fact that I now have a new project on my hands.

The return line from the top of the valve cover that runs back to the air intake had come off and completely drained the radiator. I topped off the radiator, reconnected the line and let it cool off. I checked the oil level and it was high. Way high. It wasn't milky, just really thin. Starting was noticeably more difficult and sounded odd. Very rough idle then slightly smooths out. I limped it home from there, temp stayed right at 160.

Did I blow a head gasket? What's the extra oil from?

**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't run that engine; too much oil always means you have coolant in the crankcase; not good for bearings.
EABiker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Rino1425
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would say change your oil and see how it looks. Did it have a different smell to it? If it was gas, it would be thin and have a gas smell. How hot did it get?
Rino1425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino1425 View Post
I would say change your oil and see how it looks. Did it have a different smell to it? If it was gas, it would be thin and have a gas smell. How hot did it get?
Yeah, has a real gasoline/fuel odor.

As far as temp. goes, it got hot enough to empty the radiator.

This may be the perfect excuse for a swap...
**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
Yeah, has a real gasoline/fuel odor.

As far as temp. goes, it got hot enough to empty the radiator.

This may be the perfect excuse for a swap...
Bummer. With it making extra, I was hoping your Jeep was the solution to our dependance on foreign oil.
Unread 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a bad injector dumped a lot of fuel into the motor. easy fix if you didn't do more damage running it hot.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.