Jeep made a BANG... BANG... sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep made a BANG... BANG... sound

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep made a BANG... BANG... sound

loud enough the jeep rolling down the highway behind me heard it

Edit: Driveline origin, not a basic backfire

90 YJ, i6, 5sp Man (AX15???), NP231, manual lockouts, ARB's front & rear, 35" tires

It's working fine but I'm curious as to what might have made the noise.

I was offroad in 4-high (neither ARB engaged) and came onto a highway and parked alongside the clear/dry asphalt roadway to disengage the lockouts. Another Jeep and I decided to visit another local trail up the road about three miles so I re-engaged the front lockouts and pulled onto the highway.

Rolling a mile to the first stop sign I noticed more wheel vibration than typical and remembered I was in 4-high. I pulled to the roadside, came to a complete stop, and selected 2-high. Back onto the highway, up to perhaps 30-40MPH, clear-dry asphalt, I heard a LOUD "BANG... BANG" and pulled over right quick.

No fluids on the ground. No parts hanging or laying on the ground. All looks as it should be. I disengaged the front lockouts and continued on my/our way. All else worked as normal for the rest of the day (trail, 4-low, dual ARB's engaged with four wheels spinning in deep snow, 4-high, all's good). Back on the road, disengage lockouts, 2-high, highway home. No issues.

What could have caused the noise? 2wd/4wd engage/disengage connection popping out (finally disengaging after I started moving) - but why two bangs vs. just one? xFer case chain hopping a tooth (or two)? Other? Impending doom or just "one of those quite rare day things"?

I didn't notice the gearshifts bouncing when it happened, fwiw.

JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do you still have the vacuum disco system?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
mbates96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like one of those things....my guess it was just then moving back into 2
mbates96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Do you still have the vacuum disco system?
PO converted to manual lockouts. Vac disco has no vac line. I haven't opened it up to see how it was converted to full-time connection.
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update: I kept thinking it was the xfer case chain popping a tooth, but no. The front diff... ARB, ring gear and likely pinion gear went to lunch on themselves.
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilliamson View Post
Update: I kept thinking it was the xfer case chain popping a tooth, but no. The front diff... ARB, ring gear and likely pinion gear went to lunch on themselves.
Would be my guess. Few things will make that loud of a pop without massive destruction. If it was 1 pop, I would say t-case slipping into 2 hi, but more than one coupled with driveline vibration.... Check the front pinion bearing, bet its a little worn and you slipped a tooth or two. Accelerating or decelerating?
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The first time - at road speed - but I forgot to disengage 4-hi while on asphalt - my mistake and it's set firmly in mind.

Carnage pix...

Unread 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
flea1987
2001 TJ Wrangler 

front or rear axle?
flea1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ouch! Expensive learning curve

Could have been worse.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Front axle / diff.

Yes, expensive lesson - though I suspect the bolts were likely loose or mostly out when I purchased the Jeep a year earlier. When I purchased it, I knew the rear locker was toast (an expense known of right out of the box).

The PO said all fluids were just changed by a mechanic - so I figured no need to open the front diff to change fluid or inspect. Had I opened and inspected I suspect I might have found loose bolts holding the ARB together (and I might have been able to tighten and not be in this situation).

I'm not sure being in 4-hi on asphalt (re - drivetrain loading due to differences between front and rear wheel rotations) was the cause but I suspect having the front diff "spinning" faster than normal (trail speed is sub 15MPH) may have resulted in one of the "floating around" bolts being caught up in the flow of thick diff fluid (winter snow run) moving at a faster than typical speed (I have lockouts on the front hubs so the front diff doesn't typically rotate at all when I'm on road). I suspect one of the bolts was slung up and caught either between the pinion and ARB case (note the bolt threads impressed into the case near "pin 4") or between pinion and ring gear. That is likely when "the big bang(s)" first came about. From then it went downhill. I kept using it as it would only happen occasionally and I kept thinking xfer case chain, which I'd open/repair/replace over the winter.

Live-n-learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.