Jeep Life Struggles - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
skippy102595
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Jeep Life Struggles

I've had my YJ freshly repainted to look like a Jurassic Park Jeep for less than 2 months now and a trash truck tried to pull a hit and run on me. I caught them thanks to 2 witness's it looks like they will be paying for the damages. The damage is quite extensive, the drivers side panel has a massive dent in it and the rear panel the fuel cap is at is completely crushed. On top of that the gas tank is leaking fuel everywhere and my brand new (less than 4 months old) Bestop Supertop got torn up. My guess is that the under ride guard where the trash man would stand on the back of the truck went under the jeep and smashed into the gas tank. So this just proves that no matter what you do, you never can just enjoy your Jeep lol I know the pictures don't look like much but that top will now keep tearing so replacing that plus the gas tank together are worth over $800 and thats not even touching the dents or paint! Dash camera is definitely getting installed next.

Attached Thumbnails
17634481_1736455146381602_1310643481582413325_n.jpg   jeepdamage2.jpg   jeepjurassic.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lol. Hit and run by a city truck? Sounds like the city insurance is going to pay for whatever you want.

Any city worker who runs from a collision must have a ton of priors. Because you don't just do that. It's not your money, not your problem. He should have no issue stopping and giving you the insurance card. He must already be on thin ice with his job.

Of course, it eventually gets billed to the tax payer
post #3 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
maximus924

Garage
That SUCKS! Great looking YJ, hopefully you get it back to tip-top shape soon.

Also, not sure how St Louis works, but in northern Cali we have private owned businesses contract with the local cities for trash pickup, so it may not be a city worker who hit him. Either way, he is in a company rig so yea, its crap that he tried to hit and run unless he somehow DIDNT feel the big bang that was your YJ...

Good Luck, sounds like your on the right path, good thing he was stopped.

1995 YJ 2.5L AX5 White on Tan w/ 245/75R16 & 3/4" Shackle lift

post #4 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
skippy102595
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm pretty sure its a private company with a city contract? I haven't been dealing with the city at all just a the company directly and this is the first time i've ever had anything like this so I dont know much lol
post #5 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Be careful, the insurance company going to look at the Bluebook value and try and total it on you. You need to decide if you want it professionally fixed or if you want a check and then fix it yourself.

One way to go is get 2 estimates from the 2 fanciest looking body shops in Clayton or West County that you can find. The insurance company will total it. Get your check for the bluebook value, buy it back from the insurance company for $50, and then learn to like the dents, fix the rest of it yourself and put the left over money in your pocket.
post #6 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

+1 to Dancytron.

But I wouldn't try to battle a private company by myself when it comes to a crash. Let your insurance company handle everything. Get the estimates because the insurance company will try to tell you it is not a lot of damage. If you have different insurance companies, your insurance will probably just get them to pay. If you happen to have the same company, they will conflict of interest the **** out of you.

Also, if blue book value isn't realistic. Depending on the state rules, you may be able to go on craigslist and get real estimates on what your jeep sells for, and they are sometimes bound to that value.
post #7 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Any time a commercial vehicle hits you with damages, let alone hit & run, get a good lawyer asap. I've had too many friends go through this in various states with bikes and cars/trucks.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post
Be careful, the insurance company going to look at the Bluebook value and try and total it on you. You need to decide if you want it professionally fixed or if you want a check and then fix it yourself.

One way to go is get 2 estimates from the 2 fanciest looking body shops in Clayton or West County that you can find. The insurance company will total it. Get your check for the bluebook value, buy it back from the insurance company for $50, and then learn to like the dents, fix the rest of it yourself and put the left over money in your pocket.
Depends on the state. Can't always do that, and if you do, you've got a salvage title.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You might be screwed by governmental immunity.
Not all states have it, Missouri does.
Regardless, they're going to drag their feet.
Anyway, gather your recent receipts, often those can be added to base value.
Get ready to file a small claim. A lawyer will cost more than the claim.
No one will help you, start doing your research.
Better get moving. In many municipalities there is a short window to file a claim. Much shorter than if it was just a neighbor.

If it's a private company, you do not have to accept the insurance offer.
You have no contract with them.
You can directly sue the owner for the value plus any recent improvements. (paint, top, tires ect)
Either way, start researching small claims and be ready to file.
Once they are served, a check will usually appear.

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built."
Henry Ford
post #10 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
skippy102595
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well geez guys now you got me all worried. My insurance is going after them, I have 2 police verified statements about the accident, and a police report. I guess I should tell my insurance that the Jeep was just recently 'restored' as far as body goes and that I have a brand new $800 top on it. I sure hope they don't total it but I have a feeling they might. The KBB price for the Jeep is $3300~ and I don't think there is that much damage to it but you never know with today's prices. My option are thin for quotes because the Jeep is leaking gas so I can't take it far on it's own. But how do you quote body work for a jeep so old? I have a feeling i'll have a hard time finding a place to fix it professionally simply because of that and because I did the paint job myself (along with everything else on it). My issue is that if I have to do it myself I don't know how to weld and i'd want to have new panels put in because there is prior 'damage' to the rocker panel on the same panel from a rust patch when I painted it. I put new metal in using rivets but the bondo I used to fill the seams isnt looking to good anyway so whats the point in fixing a panel like that. I'd want to replace it. Thoughts?
post #11 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
skippy102595
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancytron View Post

not a bad idea but lets be honest here my Jeep lives in my pocket so any extra money goes right back to it haha and after fixing it up so nice i wouldn't want to leave the dents.
post #12 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Those corners (the part from the door-wrap around to the tailgate) is spot welded together. Can you use a drill?
Then you can remove the entire quarter.
They are spot welded on.
You can remove the damaged parts, order a new quarter, then rent or buy a spot welder.
Spot welders are easy to use.

If you have collision, your insurance needs to pay and they will then subrogate your claim and return your deductible when they collect. If they collect.
If you have simple liability, they won't help you.
The entire Jeep body is spot welded together and the parts are available.

I think the whole quarter ia about 150 bucks.

Henry Ford
post #13 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
skippy102595
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Those corners (the part from the door-wrap around to the tailgate) is spot welded together. Can you use a drill?
Then you can remove the entire quarter.
They are spot welded on.
You can remove the damaged parts, order a new quarter, then rent or buy a spot welder.
Spot welders are easy to use.

If you have collision, your insurance needs to pay and they will then subrogate your claim and return your deductible when they collect. If they collect.
If you have simple liability, they won't help you.
The entire Jeep body is spot welded together and the parts are available.

I think the whole quarter ia about 150 bucks.
Well my insurance is actually helping me even though its liability. Probably because I carry full coverage on another vehicle. They are fighting the company with me. The same day i reported it they made a call to them and have been working with me since. I'm not sure about that welding though- I have absolutely zero experience with welding lol
post #14 of 41 Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy102595 View Post
The KBB price for the Jeep is $3300~ and I don't think there is that much damage to it but you never know with today's prices. My option are thin for quotes because the Jeep is leaking gas so I can't take it far on it's own. But how do you quote body work for a jeep so old? I have a feeling i'll have a hard time finding a place to fix it professionally simply because of that and because I did the paint job myself (along with everything else on it). M
you'll be surprised at how expensive body work is. It is BECAUSE of the insurance companies... They know they can bill them whatever they want. They'll definitely give you a quote though, so go get it quoted.

You should be OK. THEIR liability insurance will be paying for your repairs, you shouldn't need comprehensive because there were witnesses (comprehensive pays if there is no 'enemy' insurance). They will likely have more than minimum liability if it is a large business, because they have more to lose. If your insurance comes back with an unsatisfactory answer, then you get a lawyer. A lawyer will typically aim for (and be awarded) the damages or insured amount (whichever is lower). It takes a special kind of lawyer *** whooping to get the maximum of the two values. You can aim for more than their liability coverage, but judges usually won't award more than the coverage amount unless their was very clear negligence and somebody died.

Good luck in your battle!!
post #15 of 41 Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
you'll be surprised at how expensive body work is. It is BECAUSE of the insurance companies... They know they can bill them whatever they want. They'll definitely give you a quote though, so go get it quoted.

You should be OK. THEIR liability insurance will be paying for your repairs, you shouldn't need comprehensive because there were witnesses (comprehensive pays if there is no 'enemy' insurance). They will likely have more than minimum liability if it is a large business, because they have more to lose. If your insurance comes back with an unsatisfactory answer, then you get a lawyer. A lawyer will typically aim for (and be awarded) the damages or insured amount (whichever is lower). It takes a special kind of lawyer *** whooping to get the maximum of the two values. You can aim for more than their liability coverage, but judges usually won't award more than the coverage amount unless their was very clear negligence and somebody died.

Good luck in your battle!!
A lawyer?
$2500 just for a retainer?
There aren't enough damages.
Small claim.

Henry Ford

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.