jeep know all's....gotta question...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep know all's....gotta question......

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-23-2001, 10:54 PM   #1
4-low

jeep know all's....gotta question......

kay, if someone were to take a stock YJ and TJ <both 4 cyl> and put 31's on them <suspensions made to handle the tires>
which would handle the tires better??? or would it be equal?
<'cause the yj's got 4:10 or 4:11 and the tj has 3:73>

4-low is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2001, 11:18 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey 4lo,

Long time no see, eh?

To best answer your question, I would have to ask if you are talking power or flex. The TJ can fit the 31" tires without any modification, but would loose out a bit in the flex department due to the larger tire hitting the fenders sooner. The YJ would require either fender trimming, body lift, or a 2.5" suspension kit to fit the 31" tires.

As far as power goes, the engines are very similar in power, so the mashing of the gas peddle would be approx. the same. All 4cyl Jeeps use the 4.10 or 4.11 gears in the axles. The TJ with 4cyl engine should not have 3.73 gears .. from what I remember, it was only an option for the 6cyl models.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2001, 08:55 AM   #3
whatarush

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not consider myself a mechanic, but I believe my rear main seal is leaking. I went under my jeep and I can see the fly wheel spinning. I have a chilton manual and I noticed two things it may be. On an 89 4.2 6cyl there is a gasket for the oil pan and then there is the rear main seal. I believe it must be the rear main seal. Getting back to my first point. I am not a mechanic, but I do have access to a shop and all the tools I need. I am willing to try but I don't want to f*#! up my jeep. For the rear main seal, Chilton says I must remove the transmission. Some of the responces I saw to my inquiry in the YJ forum said I will not have too.
Any in put would be appreciated.
rbdunn1@yahoo.comnull
whatarush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2001, 09:55 AM   #4
4-low

I'm almost 100% sure that you'd have to pull the tranny to do your main seal........unless it's some weird 2 peice seal set-up.....
and you saw your flywheel??? I would think that that means your flywheel cover is missing.....better look into that....
Unread 10-25-2001, 09:58 AM   #5
4-low

hey naekid.....

no see 'cause my jeeps parked......tranny is makin' a rattle, and I'm scared as all hell to dig into it, but I think I'm gonna start this weekend......never ripped a tranny apart before.......should be fun....
Unread 10-25-2001, 03:07 PM   #6
OhYeah

Quote:
Originally posted by whatarush:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not consider myself a mechanic, but I believe my rear main seal is leaking. I went under my jeep and I can see the fly wheel spinning. I have a chilton manual and I noticed two things it may be. On an 89 4.2 6cyl there is a gasket for the oil pan and then there is the rear main seal. I believe it must be the rear main seal. Getting back to my first point. I am not a mechanic, but I do have access to a shop and all the tools I need. I am willing to try but I don't want to f*#! up my jeep. For the rear main seal, Chilton says I must remove the transmission. Some of the responces I saw to my inquiry in the YJ forum said I will not have too.
Any in put would be appreciated.
rbdunn1@yahoo.comnull
How the heck did this thread get on the subject of your rear seal. Some things I guess I am not supposed to understand.

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2001, 04:02 PM   #7
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Whatarush,

First check the back of your valve cover by the fire wall. Get a small dental mirror if you can or stick your hand back there to feel for fresh oil. If your valve cover is leaking it will run all the way down to the lowest bolt right under the fly wheel. "It will look just like the rear main seal is leaking". A lot of my friends have paid $200 to have there rear main/oil pan gasket done. It didn't fix their problem. It was only the valve cover gasket.

Try that first! Valve cover is a cheap easy job compared to rear main.

~Rick

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.