JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   jeep know all's....gotta question...... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/jeep-know-alls-gotta-question-7267/)

4-low 10-23-2001 10:54 PM

jeep know all's....gotta question......

kay, if someone were to take a stock YJ and TJ <both 4 cyl> and put 31's on them <suspensions made to handle the tires>
which would handle the tires better??? or would it be equal?
<'cause the yj's got 4:10 or 4:11 and the tj has 3:73> :confused:

NaeKid 10-23-2001 11:18 PM

Hey 4lo,

Long time no see, eh?

To best answer your question, I would have to ask if you are talking power or flex. The TJ can fit the 31" tires without any modification, but would loose out a bit in the flex department due to the larger tire hitting the fenders sooner. The YJ would require either fender trimming, body lift, or a 2.5" suspension kit to fit the 31" tires.

As far as power goes, the engines are very similar in power, so the mashing of the gas peddle would be approx. the same. All 4cyl Jeeps use the 4.10 or 4.11 gears in the axles. The TJ with 4cyl engine should not have 3.73 gears .. from what I remember, it was only an option for the 6cyl models.

whatarush 10-24-2001 08:55 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not consider myself a mechanic, but I believe my rear main seal is leaking. I went under my jeep and I can see the fly wheel spinning. I have a chilton manual and I noticed two things it may be. On an 89 4.2 6cyl there is a gasket for the oil pan and then there is the rear main seal. I believe it must be the rear main seal. Getting back to my first point. I am not a mechanic, but I do have access to a shop and all the tools I need. I am willing to try but I don't want to f*#! up my jeep. For the rear main seal, Chilton says I must remove the transmission. Some of the responces I saw to my inquiry in the YJ forum said I will not have too.
Any in put would be appreciated.
rbdunn1@yahoo.comnull

4-low 10-25-2001 09:55 AM

I'm almost 100% sure that you'd have to pull the tranny to do your main seal........unless it's some weird 2 peice seal set-up.....
and you saw your flywheel??? I would think that that means your flywheel cover is missing.....better look into that....

4-low 10-25-2001 09:58 AM

hey naekid.....

no see 'cause my jeeps parked......tranny is makin' a rattle, and I'm scared as all hell to dig into it, but I think I'm gonna start this weekend......never ripped a tranny apart before.......should be fun.... :rolleyes:

OhYeah 10-25-2001 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by whatarush:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not consider myself a mechanic, but I believe my rear main seal is leaking. I went under my jeep and I can see the fly wheel spinning. I have a chilton manual and I noticed two things it may be. On an 89 4.2 6cyl there is a gasket for the oil pan and then there is the rear main seal. I believe it must be the rear main seal. Getting back to my first point. I am not a mechanic, but I do have access to a shop and all the tools I need. I am willing to try but I don't want to f*#! up my jeep. For the rear main seal, Chilton says I must remove the transmission. Some of the responces I saw to my inquiry in the YJ forum said I will not have too.
Any in put would be appreciated.
rbdunn1@yahoo.comnull

How the heck did this thread get on the subject of your rear seal. Some things I guess I am not supposed to understand.

Big92Jeep 10-25-2001 04:02 PM

Whatarush,

First check the back of your valve cover by the fire wall. Get a small dental mirror if you can or stick your hand back there to feel for fresh oil. If your valve cover is leaking it will run all the way down to the lowest bolt right under the fly wheel. "It will look just like the rear main seal is leaking". A lot of my friends have paid $200 to have there rear main/oil pan gasket done. It didn't fix their problem. It was only the valve cover gasket.

Try that first! Valve cover is a cheap easy job compared to rear main.

:D

~Rick

The time now is 07:27 PM.