jeep keeps popping radios - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep keeps popping radios

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
YJSheep1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

jeep keeps popping radios

So my 87 wrangler has had 3 radios go through it. Its getting very expensive and aggravating, So here's what happens. I get a radio use it for awhile and one day it just stops working. I have a full blown sound system with subs and a kenwood 450 amp. Just trying to see what everyone thinks. Thanks

YJSheep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

do you have a bare wire under the dash that could rub the case? this happened to a couple radios in a camaro i had took me 4 or 5 to figure it out.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
YJSheep1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No, it's all fresh wires. I did just find the remote to the amp wasn't hooked up. i'm thinkin thats it, but i already complained to pioneer and what they don't know won't cost me...
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJSheep1 View Post
No, it's all fresh wires. I did just find the remote to the amp wasn't hooked up. i'm thinkin thats it, but i already complained to pioneer and what they don't know won't cost me...
Did you wire it yourself or did a shop wire it up for you? If you've gone threw that many stereo's you have a wiring issue or bad ground somewhere. Seeing that your system remote isnt hooked up I'm going to assume you installed it yourself. What I would like to know is how in the hell is a 450watt amp powering Subs and 20 speakers ? Your sound quality must be **** ! . Do yourself a favor next time you get a new head unit goto a good car audio shop not Best Buy an actual car audio shop! Have them go threw your "system" and install the headunit for you. Be prepaired to pay a few hundred dollars and be laughed at but they will know what they are doing and install it properly making sure you wont have a Car-B-Que

I never had any issues with any of the systems I've installed quite a few and never had 1 single issue. All I use are Pioneer head units . I would always use the constant power, switched power and ground from the factory harness and I wouldn't use the other wires . I would use system remote and RCA's to the amps then the amp power kits to a capacitor then the amps I used an mono amp for the sub, and a 4ch for front/rear speakers. I would always run the Positive and negative/ground cables on opposite sides of the vehicle.

Last edited by Tom95YJ; 08-23-2011 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: 450watt amp powering a 20 speaker system :eek:
Tom95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Did you wire it yourself or did a shop wire it up for you? If you've gone threw that many stereo's you have a wiring issue or bad ground somewhere. Seeing that your system remote isnt hooked up I'm going to assume you installed it yourself. What I would like to know is how in the hell is a 450watt amp powering Subs and 20 speakers ? Your sound quality must be **** ! . Do yourself a favor next time you get a new head unit goto a good car audio shop not Best Buy an actual car audio shop! Have them go threw your "system" and install the headunit for you. Be prepaired to pay a few hundred dollars and be laughed at but they will know what they are doing and install it properly making sure you wont have a Car-B-Que

I never had any issues with any of the systems I've installed quite a few and never had 1 single issue. All I use are Pioneer head units . I would always use the constant power, switched power and ground from the factory harness and I wouldn't use the other wires . I would use system remote and RCA's to the amps then the amp power kits to a capacitor then the amps I used an mono amp for the sub, and a 4ch for front/rear speakers. I would always run the Positive and negative/ground cables on opposite sides of the vehicle.
^what he said, also run your positive and RCA cables opposite each other
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The easiest way I can think of to destroy a good stereo or any electronic in the car is load dumping it. Basically taking a car thats running and disconnecting and connecting the battery while a bunch of different things are running like lights, blower, radio etc.
The alternator is putting out a lot of current and the battery disconnects the current is going to go somewhere. Make sure you have the battery terminals connected solid and the ground cable is tightly connected to the chasis.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

And... since it is a Jeep, that means that water will drip on the radio every time it rains, plus, small pieces of rust will drop into it every time it hits a bump since it leaked every time it rained!

A plastic shield over the radio does wonders for those problems.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
And... since it is a Jeep, that means that water will drip on the radio every time it rains, plus, small pieces of rust will drop into it every time it hits a bump since it leaked every time it rained!

^^^^^Maybe a bad cowl seal letting water pour right into the radio? A plastic shield is a good idea EABiker!

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post

both posts are a WIN.
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
YJSheep1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I chased all the wires, no bare spots, good grounds, the remote wasn't hooked up because the subs were out and the tape fell off...oops... and the amp only powers the 2 subs. I tested the volts at the head and when the rpms hit the shift points the volts spike to 16 so I'm gonna say its a bad voltage regulator. who knows where it is on an 87?
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

16 volts is a little high you should see 14.5 Vdc when running. I would double check the meter though before I did the next step. The voltage regulator for the pre OBDI(pre1991) is internally regulated(Inside the alternator). If you feel that the voltage readings are correct there is a very very cheap popular mod to upgrade the alternator to a GM CS-144. It has about 40% more capacity and you can get one from the scrap yard for $30 or $40 dollars.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/delco-cs144-1187379/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...rnator-839918/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...stion-1017658/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.