Jeep help? lockers and gears. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep help? lockers and gears.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
frenziedYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep help? lockers and gears.

im new to the jeep community (and automotive) im not sure what gear ratio i have now but im finding out tomorrow. i have a 4" suspension lift, 3" body, and raised shackles. all thats sitting on 35" all terrains. i use this as my DD its an inline 6, with a webber 36/36 DGEC carb, 5 speed manual. any suggestions on regearing? and what about lockers while im at it? would i need them? do they help that much?
Thanks, Devan

Last edited by frenziedYJ; 09-14-2011 at 11:55 AM..
frenziedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea I you need them, but they seem to help those who just cant make it through with open differentials. Tell us about how you use your jeep, preferably in picture form.
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
frenziedYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

only picture i have of it off road

but i drive off road through muddier deeper things, this is just were i got to. but i wont go too deep noting too extream. i dont think i will need/want lockers but can u help with the gearing?
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd go with 4.56 gears for what you're describing and would maybe do an Aussie locker up front if you feel you need it. The Aussie is cheap and easy to install.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
frenziedYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, do you know a good brand/place to buy?
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenziedYJ View Post
Okay, do you know a good brand/place to buy?
For gears or lockers? Unless you know what you're doing I would highly suggest letting a gear shop set the gears up. I had my local shop do mine and he ordered everything he needed. If you're going to buy gears, eh I don't know, I'm cheap but I don't like buying cheap crap so I tend to do a bunch of research and go with the best I can afford. I know that's not a lot of help.

If you're still looking into the lockers I think Northridge 4X4 has the best deal on the Aussie. They also sell gear sets.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
frenziedYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i do my reaserch and everything on my own because i like the learning experience, thats why im on this site, same goes for mechanic work. my father is and extraordinary mechanic and i doubt he cant handle it but before i consult him about things i like to figure out what i need to do next and everything on my own. thank you for your help and advice. ill look around for gears. im just not sure exactly what to search. "4.56 jeep wrangler gears"? or is there a better way of wording it. thanks again for your help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.