Jeep gas tank modification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep gas tank modification

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
bearhunter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep gas tank modification

This spring I replaced the sending unit in my 15 gallon gas tank with one I got from Ebay. It worked fine but when full would not read full. This was OK with me as long as I knew when my tank was empty. Recently I read on on this forum that the only difference in the 15 gallon tank and 20 gallon tank was a 10 " tube that went into the vent tube of the tank and that if this tube was shortened to 2.5" then I would have a 20 gallon tank. So I decided to try it and see what happened. It was an easy modification. I was able to get to the tube by just removing the tire and the plastic cover. Remove the small hose that connects to the gas tank and push it out of the way. Look close and you will see a smaller diameter tube inside the tank The hardest part was removing this 10 inch tube. It was tight but I was able to get a hold of it with needle nose vise grips after using a screwdriver to wedge between the inner and outer tube. Using another larger pair of vice grips on the smaller needle nose vise grips, I was able to pry the 10 " inner hose out. I then cut this hose down to 2.5 " and reinserted this short piece back into the tank, using a plastic hammer to pound it back in. Then replace the small hose and tighten the clamp. Replace the plastic cover and tire. And your done. I then drove down to the gas station and filled up. Now my gas gage reads full and I have a 20 gallon capacity tank.

bearhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds like a great mod, are there any dangers in doing it? Has anyone had associated problems "in the long run"?
I ask because the tank is being dropped tonight for an unrelated fix and the timing couldn't be better if I were going to do the 15 to 20 mod.
1988 YJ, 2.5 4cyl TBI, 5 Speed, 4WD, 31's. Repaired ECU, Herculined. Wrenchin', scrapin', learnin', paintin', enjoy'n! - The "Work in Progress" …continues into '11! (althought she's been on the road since '08! Enjoy it Dad!)
AtzMaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No real problems in the long run, the only thing is your guage will read over full for the extra gas then when it gets to 15 it will read the same.
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
AtzMaBoy
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Now if we can only get a mod to allows us to pump 20 and only get charged for 15. (I think the used market on 15 gal poly tanks would skyrocket!)
1988 YJ, 2.5 4cyl TBI, 5 Speed, 4WD, 31's. Repaired ECU, Herculined. Wrenchin', scrapin', learnin', paintin', enjoy'n! - The "Work in Progress" …continues into '11! (althought she's been on the road since '08! Enjoy it Dad!)
AtzMaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
bearhunter
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtzMaBoy View Post
This sounds like a great mod, are there any dangers in doing it? Has anyone had associated problems "in the long run"?
I ask because the tank is being dropped tonight for an unrelated fix and the timing couldn't be better if I were going to do the 15 to 20 mod.
No, dangers at all. This is what the factory did if you bought a Jeep with the 20 gallon tank. The only problem is since you have a fuel sender for a 15 gallon tank your fuel gage will read full for a longer time until the extra gas is used up. Since I must have put in a 20 gallon sending unit when I replaced mine, it reads correct for me now. Since you are removing you tank, this should be even easier to do.
bearhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Bondo007
1995 YJ Wrangler 

real easy mod. Did it in about 35 min. this weekend. This way has to be easier than removing the plate and filler cover on the back. Thx for the post
Bondo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
mtn_wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtzMaBoy View Post
Thanks! Now if we can only get a mod to allows us to pump 20 and only get charged for 15. (I think the used market on 15 gal poly tanks would skyrocket!)
i believe the tank mod is only able to be done on the 90 or 91 and up yj's. i was thinking about doing this a while ago but that is what i was told
mtn_wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Correct, the '91 and newer models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
mudbugII
2006 LJ Wrangler 

it is just as ez as he said.

I too did the mod this weekend. No problems at all, my vent tube actually came out really really easy. As an added bonus, for whatever reason, I can now pump fuel alot faster and keep it "latched" instead of holding the thing at weird angles in order to get gas in it.
mudbugII is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.