jeep drives in reverse but doesnt drive in drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep drives in reverse but doesnt drive in drive

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #1
sifuentesjeeps
1995 YJ Wrangler 

jeep drives in reverse but doesnt drive in drive

The weather has gotten cold since then the Jeep isn't running (when i put it in drive it wont go) the oil Gage says zero but the oil is fine. I let it warm up and it still doesn't drive but the other day I punched it and it drove. I just had the catalyst converter changed and the o 2 sensor but the engine sounds like a lawn mower. Any suggestions

Unread 12-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifuentesjeeps View Post
...I punched it and it drove.
Is it an automatic? If so, it could be a few things and in my experience with automatic transmissions, not a cheap fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifuentesjeeps View Post
..the oil Gage says zero but the oil is fine. I let it warm up and it still doesn't drive but the other day I punched it and it drove. I just had the catalyst converter changed and the o 2 sensor but the engine sounds like a lawn mower. Any suggestions
Sounds like you have the worst combination ever... problems with your transmission AND your engine. The engine "sounds like a lawn mower" and "jeep drives in reverse but doesn't in drive" are two separate problems. Also (I am assuming), the oil gage you are referring to is your oil PRESSURE gage, not an oil level gage. So, if your oil pressure is truly zero then you have BIG problems. I would suggest not running the engine until it's fixed or you will do major damage to the engine (may already have).

Without some more information, it will be hard to get an idea what the problems/solutions are.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sifu, Please fill out your profile to help us help you. If your oil pressure state zero it is important to find out why. I would look at the oil sending unit first. Make sure that you are pumping oil. Very important!

The fact that you say it sounds like a lawn mower leads me to believe that you may have a oil problem and that you may have toasted you motor. Johnboy is right on the money.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.