Jeep dies when it warms up?!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep dies when it warms up?!?!?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
RabiDaWise

Jeep dies when it warms up?!?!?

Ok, I've got the weirdest thing goin on. I've got an '88 with the 4.2. My Jeep is dying after it gets warmed up. Its not sputtering, its dying like you turned the key off. I've already replaced the coil and the distributor module and traced all the wires from them both. There's no breaks in any of the wires. If I let it sit for a while I can crank it back up and it'll run fine for a few minutes. My dad and I think that it may be that the ECU is bad and its getting hot from the current running to it. Anyone have any idea????

Redneck Jeep Club Member #18
CSA Jeepers Association

'88 Wrangler Laredo, I6, Auto, 3" Body Lift, 33"x12.50" Destination MTs, Nutter'd w/ HEI, 32/36 Weber, LOTS more to come

"Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum and we wound up drinkin' all nite" Jimmy Buffet
RabiDaWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
CosmicCreeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had a car that did that, no mechanic could figure it out, sold the POS and bought a jeep, lol
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CosmicCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

let it die again and then immediately start tracing the spark path back. see if you can find a bad component somewhere. also, check the fusible links. i doubt a wire warming up would be the problem, but the links might and it could be cutting power to the ignition. if you make it back to the computer and the links check out, maybe you can try the nutter bypass to eliminate the computer and see if it will run like that. better than throwing parts at it before testing. HTH

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had this problem with my 87'. It would run fine while it was warming up and it would run great when you are at normal driving speeds. But when you stop and try to let it idle after it warms up it would die.

I had my mechanic look at it and the diagnosis was just a worn out carburetor. I have talked with others that have told me that the real problem is that there are several seals and areas in the throttle that just wear out and cause air leaks. The result is that you cannot obtain a normal idle anymore.

I decided to get rid of the massive piece of crap carburetor and install the Mopar MPI kit.

Good Luck to you!
Unread 02-14-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 1990 does what you are describing but not when it is warmed up but instead after it has been sitting for a while. It runs great when it is warmed up.. weird huh. I'm thinking its the carb though

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
abrupt11

I've always had idle problems on my 90' YJ 4.2L. I rebuilt my stock carb too many times and upgraded to a weber thinking this would solve my problem NOPE. I replaced all the vacum hoses, spark plugs & wires, distributor cap & rotor. I took it to mechanic and they can't figure it out. I notice the choke gets stuck sometimes so I think that could be a problem. It's pain I had to live with but, Now I'm ready to do an engine swap (Fuel Injected baby).

The 4.2L are known for : Vacum Leaks (too many hoses), Carb Problems, Valve Cover Leaks, and No High End Power.

If your willing to put up with it the 4.2L. The engine can run forever.

My options were:

Mopar MPI Kit (around $1500). To me to much to put into engine that has to many miles on it.

Engine swap! Find a wrecked s-10 pickup or blazer (4.3L F.I) for about the same price.
90' YJ, 6.5" Sping over, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT, Rancho 9000, Stock axles w/ 4.56's, Cheap EZ Locker in rear (does the job), H.D. Rubicon Express SYE, 6" TJ Flares, Stock 4.2L w/ Webber Carb, Stock AX15 Tranny, Stock T-Case NP231, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Sam's H.D. anti-wrap trac-bar, Sprayed liner.
----------------------------------------------------------------------[/COLOR]
~Rene
abrupt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
lostboy

Have your ignition module checked. It's the one under the washer fluid reservoir. Autozone or Pepboys will usually test em. Make sure they let it reach operating temp first.
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My dad had a old ford truck that he had to replace the ignition module a few times and he said the way my jeep acts he thinks that might be it. I guess I'll check it out.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
RabiDaWise

Turns out it was the ignition module. I took a coil, a distributor module, and alot of time tracing wires to figure it out, but that's what it was. I went ahead and did the Nutter Bypass while I was in there. It all seems to be workin fine now. Thanks for the help.
Redneck Jeep Club Member #18
CSA Jeepers Association

'88 Wrangler Laredo, I6, Auto, 3" Body Lift, 33"x12.50" Destination MTs, Nutter'd w/ HEI, 32/36 Weber, LOTS more to come

"Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum and we wound up drinkin' all nite" Jimmy Buffet
RabiDaWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #10
bluegrass

Yup ...I agree with lostboy check the Ignition Control Mod!
bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.