Jeep Dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep Dies

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
88mudder

Jeep Dies

I am having trouble with my Jeep dieing. It will just die from time to time when going down the road. Usually two or three times every 200 miles or so. So it's not that often but it's not good when it dies in traffic. It will fire back up if you wait about 10 or 15 seconds before trying to start it again. I know it's not a fuel problem cause it will flood if I leave it in gear after it dies. I have replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributer cap, and coil. I have a direct wire going from the coil to the battery with a switch on the dash so I know the coil is not losing fire. The ground on the block is tight and clean. What have I missed? Any suggestions?
88 Wrangler 4.2L Motorcraft carb.

Thanks!!!!

88mudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
ovrlnd

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
88mudder

Fuel filter is clean. I really think it has to be an electric problem. When it dies it doesn't stutter or give any warning. It's just like you turned the key off.
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
88mudder

I am thinking it may be the ignition module. I have the motorcraft carb so it has no electrical controls and since I have a kill switch in line on my wire from the coil to the battery is there not some way I could bypass the ignition module?
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
the dit
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No way to "bypass" the module, you have to replace it with something. Either another type of distrubutor or another module.
Those duraspark modules are know to go bad all the time on Mustangs, but I haven't seen much discussion of them here.
There is a way in the mustang world to use a GM module, but I thinkyou might as well replace the one you have. Ot get the HEI distrubutor upgrade evryone here recommends.
the dit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
SECorBust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It definitely sounds like an electrical short in the ignition components, however it sounds like you covered almost everything.

My 95 2.5 wrangle behaved similarly. I put on a new ECM, coil, dist.vcap, wires, plugs, etc and it turned out to be a weak point on the power wire to the coil. The wire right at the connector was visibly fine, however once it warmed up it would short out. The coil was mounted right beside the engine block and the small guage wire was subjected to intense heat. I bought some connector pins at Autozone to fit a jeep and cut out a short piece of wire at the end and reused the plastic connector. It worked great after that. I think the wiring on jeeps may be only second to transmissions as a weakness for the brand.

If you spliced direct power to the coil wire (and not directly to the coil), you should check/replace the old connector pins
SECorBust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.