Jeep died, no codes. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep died, no codes.

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep died, no codes. [Fixed]

Looks like I have two problems that happened at the same time, both not helping the Jeep to start...

Starter:
  • There is 1 click when I turn the key to Start.This click is the solenoid hitting the Flywheel. Verified by looking at the flywheel. I've shimmed the starter .060" and it still hits the flywheel. The starter is a Bosch. It is new and was tested 3 times at the store.
  • Jumped the starter, by passing the red battery cable. Hits the flywheel (IDK why it wouldn't, just letting you know)

Jeep won't push start:
*Push starting the Jeep should bypass any faults with the starter or its connections.*
  • I've taken the spark plugs out, Serp. belt off, put the T-Case & Tranny in Neutral, and was able to move the crankshaft pulley by hand. I tried it again with a wrench (a lot easier with a wrench lol). It seemed a little stiff in one area but it turned over and over again.
  • Made sure pistons moved up and down, all do just fine.
  • Checked the Ignition Coil wires, 1 wire was around 12v, the other .2 or so my uncle said.
  • Checked the Ignition Coil, ohms were in spec of both kinds of ICs.
  • New spark plugs & wires
  • Cleaned cap & rotor
  • Checked all fuses, under the steering wheel & in front of battery
  • Battery is ~12.5v, under load is ~11.5
  • Tried jumping, twice, to make sure the battery is not the problem
  • Check Engine Light, Shifter Light & Brake Light come on when key is turned to "ON". They go away like normal.
  • Check Engine Light gives no codes, except normal 12, 33 & 55.
  • Engine has Oil
  • Water is full
  • --- Under the Dash: ---
  • Removed a "Smart Lock" that was not connected to anything. It's green & brown wire were cut from the "Smart Lock", twined and taped together. If these two are not connected then there is NO power to the starter because it won't even click (click is the starter hitting the flywheel)
  • There is a dangling wire. There are copper strands around the outside of a plastic hollow tube which is insulated by black insulation. (Was never connected to anything before)
  • There is a yellow and black wire going into a connector that is spliced into the wiring that goes to the back of the jeep inside the tub along the driver side. (Was never connected to anything before)
  • There is a small round connector above the cigarette lighter, Orange and Black I think? (Never seen it before)
  • A wide connector, 2x6 or 8 or so behind the cigarette lighter. (Never seen this before)
  • What looks like a ground, screwed into the bottom of the dash under the speedometer-ish area. No wire connected to it, may have been cut or pulled out. (never seen before)

Last edited by ZzarkZul; 10-01-2012 at 07:50 PM..
ZzarkZul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well first off, do you have power at all? What's the battery voltage?

Secondly, your brake issue is normal. Without vacuum coming from the engine, the power brake booster doesn't work so your brakes will be very stiff.

Sent from a Jeep.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah good voltage, power works, no fuses blown. Just a single click. Already bought a starter, installed it and the small post was stripped cleaner than a <insert clean thing here>.... So just waiting on Oreillys to bring me a new one, it should be here now... I'll let you know if it was just the starter soon...
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, installed the new starter. Click..... Try again: click.... Lol. Well a friend is coming over with jumper cables to double check that my battery is good, but even if it wasn't it should do more than one click, right?
Unread 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tried jumping the Jeep. No help, just a single click like usual...
Unread 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

clean all the battery terminals

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
clean all the battery terminals
Agreed.
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If thhe starter just clicks does the engine rotate at all?? If so the new starter and a fresh charge on the battery should be it unless while wheeling something is jammed in the rotating parts under the bell housing. Just a few thoughts.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Going to take the new starter out and have it tested at Autozone t eliminate that it is another bad starter.
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Sounds like you have a bad connection to the battery and/or starter. This includes bad cables as well.

Have seen it more times than I can count. The connections may be mechanically tight, but not electrically bonded. On a 20 year old piece of machinery subjected to offroading, this is a common problem.

edit to add, Check grounds, grounds, and then check and clean the grounds.
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked for corrosion under the jacket of the battery cables?

Connect a meter to the starter positive cable connection with the red lead and black lead to ground connection at frame/motor. Have friend turn key to crank and see what the voltage reading does. If it drops to near zero then test the voltage at the battery the same way(with leads touching battery post, not cables) while turning key to crank. If both drop off considerably then the battery is faulty.
I believe you have a faulty connection from battery to starter or ground to engine. The jolt he gave it further damaged an already bad connection.

Apparently I was longer winded and changed my writing that equals what old4x stated.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
2Mileshigh

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tired to pop start it?
2Mileshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just tried poppin the clutch in 1sr, 2nd and reverse. Absolutely nothin'.
Unread 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
ZzarkZul
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Checked all grounds, the 2 on the tub passenger side battery level, and the 3 on the engine next to / on the oil dipstick. Sanded all of them reconnected it and nothing.
Unread 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

When you turn the key, what exactly clicks?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.