Jeep cough? Im lost.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep cough? Im lost..

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep cough? Im lost..

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, Ill do the best I can to explain it.

Sometimes my jeep will have a hard time keeping speed, a very hard time. This has only happened to me 2 or 3 times. Ill be driving and all of a sudden it can't keep rpms up. I have to ease off on the gas or else it will stall. Its done this after wheeling or after mid-long drives. witch means it might have to be something about tempeture, but I'm not over heating or anywhere near that. sometimes its around 2.5k rpms but other times it will be around 1.5k rpms. Generally speaking it never dose this but when it dose I can barley keep speed while driving. its almost like I have water in my engine, but I don't. There is a jeep mechanic shop i could go to but like i said, it only dose this every so often. I couldn't show him what its doing.

Could this be a vacuume leak of some sort?
do my gears need to be re oiled?
is it something electronic?

Thanks JF!

Unread 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For starters, check for any stored codes. The check engine light may not have lit up yet because the problem hasn't occurred enough times.

One thing that comes to mind though is that the bogging could be a busted up catalytic converter. A chunk could be rattling around and randomly plugging/unplugging the exhaust.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, thanks.

I dont have any emmions laws (that im aware of), so if I wanted I could just get rid of my cat right? It dosent do anything other than control emmissions correct?
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

have you changed your fuel filter recently? if not you may want to do it.

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post
Alright, thanks.

I dont have any emmions laws (that im aware of), so if I wanted I could just get rid of my cat right? It dosent do anything other than control emmissions correct?
If you plan on driving it on the road as a street registered vehicle, Federal emissions laws require a cat. In general, having the cat will give you extra backpressure which will give you better low end torque, as well as cleaner air. It's better IMO to just get a cheap replacement (that is, don't get one from a dealership) if you find that the cat is busted up inside.

FYI - Talk of skirting Federal emissions laws regarding catalytic converters is not much tolerated here on JeepForum.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
FYI - Talk of skirting Federal emissions laws regarding catalytic converters is not much tolerated here on JeepForum.
Well I asked the local YJ junkies in my club and they suggested it has to be something in the ignition or fuel related. I replaced my spark plugs and wires, next is the fuel filter..

Im sure that if i were to mess with the cat conv i would just purchase a new one. i know flomaster makes an aftermarket one. like i said i was just asking.. I don't want JF to hate me

Tags
confused , jeep , problem , stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.