Jeep came back from the shop. Should I return iut for a 4wd light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep came back from the shop. Should I return iut for a 4wd light

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

Jeep came back from the shop. Should I return iut for a 4wd light

Hey guys. I just got my betsy back home.They replaced the 4wd vacuum actuator and got the thing running well. Well now I have no 4wd indicating light. SO i do not know if I am in 4 high or not. I know guys have told me that you feel a difference but right now with oversized tires rubbing on the inside I cannot differentiate that from 4 wheel drive kick.

Where should I test to see if its just a blown light or fuse before losing my jeep for another 3 days at the shop.

Muaymendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
moonpie312
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did the light work before they worked on it? Depending on the year, if its the later one with the switch on the housing, the plug may not be contacting well enough, or if its the old style where it uses vacuum to activate a switch to tell the light to come on, there may be a vacuum leak. If all that is fine, then best that I recall it isnt very hard to take the dash off, then the assembly with the lights will come forward enough after you remove a few screws and you should be able to get the bulb out and look at it.
moonpie312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go look at the shifter motor housing and see if they forgot to plug it back up somewhere. Mine got knocked off on a rock years ago. I just filled it with JB Weld. I wouldn't mind seeing that little light but they don't sell the switch anymore. At least 4wd.com doesn't.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
stilllearning6
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The 4WD dash light on my 1988 YJ Wrangler receives its turn "on" juice from a little unit which is bolted onto the firewall from the engine bay side.
The switch is located to the right side of my battery tray area and is identified by 2 black electric wires , one black vacuum hose supplying vacuum / no vacuum signal , and a pale blue plastic housing.

It is my understanding that when you switch to 4WD , the black vacuum line should apply vacuum to the blue plastic switch .
That signal would turn on the switch to allow 12v to flow from :12v black wire supply juice -->thru the switch --> out the second black wire --> to your dash light "ON".
Lack of vacuum signal to the firewall switch ( vacuum comes from your new vacuum actuator motor ) could be caused by lack of poor hose connections or leaky vacuum hose.
My vacuum motor had 3 vacuum hose nipples.
The nipple which is outermost / closest to the tire is the disconnect signal My vacuum hose is green . It forces 2WD.

The middle nipple is the "turn on 4WD " via vacuum signal when you thrust the shift lever into 4WD. It is the nipple receiving vacuum via yellow vacuum hose / rubber boot.

The 3rd nipple is closest to the drive shaft / middle of vehicle. It sends vacuum signal to the firewall blue plastic switch after the vacuum actuator motor has received vacuum signal from yellow hose to move the inner fork lever.

If you apply a handheld vacuum gauge to the 3rd nipple when you put vehicle into 4WD , it should have vacuum signal if the yellow hose feeds vacuum to the motor and your new diaphragm is intact.

I would start at 3rd nipple to be certain that vacuum is sent to the pale blue plastic switch from the vacuum actuator motor.
I could reach the 3rd vacuum nipple w/o removing wheel nor jacking vehicle.

Green hose sends vacuum to outer 1st nipple to make it 2WD.
Yellow hose sends vacuum to middle 2nd nipple to make it 4WD.
Then , Black hose relays vacuum via most inner 3rd nipple to pale blue switch .
Then pale blue switch sends 12v to tell dashboard to say '4WD".
Hope this helps.
stilllearning6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Muaymendez
1993 ZJ 

I get home late from work but will take all that info with me to the jeep . Early sat morning. Weatehr permitting.
Thanks
Muaymendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It would really help knowing what year Jeep you have. 87 -90 used a vacuum operated switch on the firewall for the light and 91-95 used a switch mounted to the vacuum disconnect.
BTW I have a vacuum switch for the firewall for sale if someone needs one....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.