Jeep 'almost' stalls when driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep 'almost' stalls when driving

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 03-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep 'almost' stalls when driving

my YJ has had problems in the month or so i have had it.

i replaced the carburetor and had a few problems with that - had to bring it in three different times to be set to prevent stalls when cold.

when i got it back most recently it ran great. Now, maybe 2 weeks later it has started to seem like it wants to stall, without fully stalling.

what it does is the engine seems to stop for a split-second while i am driving. it will recover but I lose all power until it does.

sometimes the stall lasts less than a half second, others maybe a full second. then the engine recovers and i drive on.

It happens more frequently when the car is cold (though it still happens when it is warm - maybe once every 30 minutes or so)

Could it be water in the tank? Fuel pump? something else? Am i doing damage driving it like this?

anyone have any ideas?

fjmd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmd3 View Post
my YJ has had problems in the month or so i have had it.

i replaced the carburetor and had a few problems with that - had to bring it in three different times to be set to prevent stalls when cold.

when i got it back most recently it ran great. Now, maybe 2 weeks later it has started to seem like it wants to stall, without fully stalling.

what it does is the engine seems to stop for a split-second while i am driving. it will recover but I lose all power until it does.

sometimes the stall lasts less than a half second, others maybe a full second. then the engine recovers and i drive on.

It happens more frequently when the car is cold (though it still happens when it is warm - maybe once every 30 minutes or so)

Could it be water in the tank? Fuel pump? something else? Am i doing damage driving it like this?

anyone have any ideas?

you replaced it with another OEM carb?

is it doing that when you step on the brakes? or just driving along?
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
glimmerman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a number of things:
1) Open vacuum
2) fuel filter/line
3) Ignition timing
4) Bad tank o' gas
this list can go on...

You never truly know a woman, until you meet her in court!
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did a thread last wee on the same problem: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-6cly-intermittent-cuts-out-728872/

I replace my CPS and have not had a problem so far.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thats a great place to start. when was your jeep stalling?

i actually just noticed it is more likely to do it when it is turning left than when driving straight. f'ing weird.
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

where does the CPS go? i had the valve cover gasket replaced... would that affect the CPS?
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yes the carb is OEM - never when i am stepping on the gas, only when i try to accelerate and turn at the same time.
Unread 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yes the carb is OEM - never when i am stepping on the gas, only when i try to accelerate and turn at the same time.
you dont have a cps bud.. the cps is for the EFI..

your problems are most likely carb related and from the sounds of it, probably a float problem, somehow, your either, not getting enough fuel and starving it, or too much fuel and bogging it when turning on the gas

when it does that attempted "stall"?...

does it just cut out and when it recovers, recover with full power? sorta like it wants to throw you back into the seat?

or spin down till it almost dies? and then slowly get its rpm back?
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
Unread 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

man... i wish my jeep threw me into the back of my seat! it doesnt surge, just kind of skips a beat and then carries on again. if i take my foot off of the gas it will stall totally, and if i am able to floor it just as it starts it will not last too long.

also - the cabin noticeably smells like oil at all times. I bought a tree thing and got rid of the carpets but it does not cover it once i drive for a few minutes.... may be unrelated but what he hell.
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
man... i wish my jeep threw me into the back of my seat! it doesnt surge, just kind of skips a beat and then carries on again. if i take my foot off of the gas it will stall totally, and if i am able to floor it just as it starts it will not last too long.

also - the cabin noticeably smells like oil at all times. I bought a tree thing and got rid of the carpets but it does not cover it once i drive for a few minutes.... may be unrelated but what he hell.

if very difficult to diagnose if its dumping fuel, or starving itself at that specific time without hearing and feeling the actual dead spot

have you noticed if it wants to stall when you stop suddenly?

you probably dont know these answers.. but

when they changed the carb? did they change the little filter up by the fuel line that goes into the carb?

did they open the carb at all to adjust the float?

how were the carb needles adjusted? with the engine cold? warm? did they drive it?
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

ok you said that you replaced the vale covers now how about the PCV VALVE now that you sealed up the oil leak around the vale covers if the PCV VALVE is bad the you mite have a blow by that could be the oil smell

what about the gasket at the intake and curb was it replace and the curb tork down
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the pcv valve is new. i dont know the answers to the above except that the carb was set after sitting overnight (each time)

i am taking it in tomorrow... i give up trying to guess what the problem is.

i took off the air filter cover and the filter is filled with rust colored water...is that normal? also after i start it first thing and am letting it sit warming up, a puddle of rust colored water the size of my fist forms on the ground.
Unread 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

could a bad thermostat cause it to stall? the temp gauge does not seem to ever work in the car... always at or near the bottom of the scale
Unread 03-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the carb with an OEM replacement and within two months the venturi tubes were clogged and causing similar problems. I used THIS KIT and didn't have another problem, eventually went with a Howell Injection kit. It seems that with the Carter and stalling, especially at slow speed, the venturi's are frequently the culprit.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
fjmd3
1990 YJ Wrangler 

with no problems with the kit - what advantage did the howell kit give? how much did that conversion cost?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.