Jeep all over the road after 4" lift install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep all over the road after 4" lift install

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
CTJeepin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep all over the road after 4" lift install

Hey guys...I installed my RC 4" lift last month. Everything went smooth but I notice that now, every time I go over 40mph, I have to do everything possible to control the Jeep. It's not a wobble, but more of a serious left-to-right sway. I find myself having to constantly overcorrect the steering wheel just to stay in my lane.

I did a thorough search of the forum before posting this and the only thing that I could find were posts about making the tie rod and drag link more parallel to one another by doing the tie rod flip. After installing my drop pitman arm, the drag link doesn't seem to be at an extreme enough angle to cause this degree of swaying, but I could be wrong. Also, there is no play in the steering box. I've posted some pics of my front end. Sorry, but I haven't mastered the click-free feature yet.

If this helps at all, I haven't gotten the front end aligned yet, and the steering stabilizer is stock from 1987 so it likely isn't doing its job properly. Maybe this could be adding to the problem but I'd like your thoughts. Thanks!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...a/frontend.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../pitmanarm.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...a/passside.jpg

CTJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a steering dampener in there?
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Straycur
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Krikees! you better get the clamp back over the pax side TRE before it falls out. That thing is is probably flexing more than the Governator! A couple other things to check are your tire pressure and toe in.
Straycur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
CTJeepin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
Do you have a steering dampener in there?
I have the stock stabilizer in there but I'm not sure how good of a job it's doing because of its age.
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

As stated above move that clamp (In your 3rd pic) back where it belongs,Are the shackles part of the lift? From your description of the way it handles it sounds like there is not enough Caster have your alignment checked on a machine & post the readings.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
CTJeepin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller0737 View Post
As stated above move that clamp (In your 3rd pic) back where it belongs,Are the shackles part of the lift? From your description of the way it handles it sounds like there is not enough Caster have your alignment checked on a machine & post the readings.
Will do; good catch guys. I loosened it to back out the tie rod end a few turns because the steering wheel wasn't centered and completely forgot to put it back and tighten it. The shackles are stock.
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you moved your steering wheel by moving the TRE?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

I might be wrong, but it's the drag link that gets adjusted from what I remember. By moving the TRE, you are either pointing your tires more IN or more OUT....causing severe drift and your TRE being loose is most likely going in and out of whack while driving.

I recommend getting a new steer damper (they be el cheapo) and taking it to get aligned PDQ.

And Mark05059 being from Queechee just made me think of an old friend from there that used to scream QUEECHEE with me when we were drunk...ah..the memories...I loved the 89/91 area.
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
CTJeepin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
you moved your steering wheel by moving the TRE?
I meant to say drag link end.
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

A steering damper is a complete waste, I have never ran one. A properly set up front end with no worn parts doesn't need one at all. I haev ran upto 37's on the road with out them for years.
I would say that your geometry is screwed up. Either measure it yourself or take it to an alignment shop that handles 4x4's. Too little caster will do what you are describing.
Set the toe @ 1/8" toe in.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

In your 2nd pic, what is that hose / cable looking thing hanging down by the front spring?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Blackfish
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do a little self alignment, jack the front up and measure the rear center to center of the tires then moved to the front you are looking for an 1/8 of an inch toe in, while you have it up check for side to side play, also the steering stabilizer may leak a little if its bad, the tierod ends may be loose or joints bad..
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
CTJeepin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
In your 2nd pic, what is that hose / cable looking thing hanging down by the front spring?

I think it's the axle breather hose.
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeepin View Post
I think it's the axle breather hose.
Hmm thats what it looks like. Not part of your current issue, but it should be up a little higher.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.