jeep 258 rebuild and carb swap emissions testing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > jeep 258 rebuild and carb swap emissions testing

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
hurricane99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

jeep 258 rebuild and carb swap emissions testing

Hey guys ive searched around but cannot find a good answer. I am about to rebuild my 4.2 and want either a Weber 32/36 or mc2100 carb but I have to take an emissions test its only a tailpipe and gas cap check so pretty easy I am wondering if I keep the emissions equipment in tact can I still pass the test? I don't wanna sink money into this if I cannot pass. Thanks guys

Unread 04-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hello hurricane, I have an 87 with the Weber 32/36. I have ditched most of the emission crap, I have kept the CTO valve, EGR, CAT (I think that's it). I have passed my tests here in PA when I have driven over 5000 miles. I try and keep it under so I am exempt. I also have the HEI distributor so I also lost all of the ignition module and wiring. The Weber does take some time to get running right and I am still struggling fine tuning mine. Good Luck.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
hurricane99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks jim for the response. i think i might get the weber and the crt juicebox upgrade. i am glad i can switch carbs and pass emissions anything is better then 8 mpg i was getting when it barley ran with the carter carb
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Get a real weber from redline weber, not one from some other shady place. Some places sell cheaper versions of webers that are made by another company and weber puts a sticker on it, those one suck. Get one from a reputable shop so you have no trouble
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
hurricane99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds good. i had planned on buying it from redline if i decided on that. ive thought about the howell emisions kit but i dont wanna sink 1200 into and occasional driver. thanks for the responses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.