Jeep 2.5 turbo install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Jeep 2.5 turbo install

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!

Unread 12-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
kevin564

Jeep 2.5 turbo install

Hey, I have a tired 4 banger jeep and im sick of fighting winds for speed on the highway!!! I ran across this e-book on ebay that claims to have a parts list for a turbo system for the 2.5 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWDVW I have interest in building up my 2.5 because I am not interested in low MPGs, or swapping and sourceing a whole bunch of parts, I just dont have the time. Basically, I am looking for ANYONE with knowledge of forced induction on this engine, sources of FORGED internals including crankshaft and rods. My goal is to build the system, blow up my current engine, and build an engine capable of 15-25 psi boost. ANY input (good or bad) would be great. If this works out, I want to make a FREE guide for 2.5 owners on this forum.

95 YJ- 2.5- CAI, Throttle body spacer, lift shackles (poly greaseable), 31x10.50 BFG A/Ts, Delta H4 headlamp conversion, 2 competition SPL boxes w/12s and 1500 watt monoblock (for now), misc. electrical upgrades
kevin564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
redjeep669
2009 JK Wrangler 

some guy on the 4banger forum was emailing the ebay book to people. also, honda guys have been half assing turbo's for years. i was one. i had several honda/acura's over the last 8 years with all kinds of mods done from all motor itb's to full race turbo setups. my itb integra was featured in super street. the issue is with fuel management. there are no stand alone systems set up directly for jeeps and there are no diy laptop systems like crome or hondata for jeeps. your stock ecu just won't handle the added airflow. you need to upgrade fuel maps. this is where the problem is. if you think you can just throw a turbo manifold on and run a turbo you are wrong. it won't run properly and you will not make gains like you think. your ecu will be trying to compensate for the added numbers. and if you think for a second a jeep 4 cyl is capable of being built to handle 25psi of turbo boost, you're nuts. there is no aftermarket suport for the motor which means everyhting will be custom... cam grinds, pistons, rods, valve springs and retainers, cranks. i could go on. all of these need to be top quality to even think of runnign 25+ psi. it'd cost you 10x what the vehicle is worth for only 30-40 hp to the ground - and that's if you have axcess to dyno and tuning equipment.
redjeep669 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #3
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

search the forum.... there have been a dozen threads on this in the past two months with some great info.... bu to save you some time searching and save you money i'll sum it all up for you.....

there is no replacement for displacement and the powerband sucks. period.

-Erik <--- wonders what kind of engine swap you will choose. sbc?
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
notch4u

do what i want to do..do a ford 2.3T motor swap with a ranger TC and trans

get yourself a MErkur wiring harness as they simply require a power, ground and a run to the fuel pump basically and you are ready to go..you can either try to use the old gauge sensors over again or swap over to a full autometer display

these motors boogie
00 Yamaha Kodiak on 27"s
notch4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
kenny kustom
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeep669
. the issue is with fuel management. there are no stand alone systems set up directly for jeeps and there are no diy laptop systems like crome or hondata for jeeps. your stock ecu just won't handle the added airflow. you need to upgrade fuel maps.

Split second make an fuel/timing management unit for jeeps. I have the FTC1 for my 2.5l. I have an avenger supercharger with a 6 psi pulley. All sitting on the floor in my shop waiting till next week to be put in.
kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
accord387

Megasquirt will work for fuel management also. Redjeep, this isn't goign to be 15-25psi from a pt67,GT35/40/42 or some other giant turbo like hondas run. Atleast i hope not, that powerband would be terrible for what we do. Somethign like a GT28RS or gt2871R with 15psi could produce an outstanding powerband... Should be pretty linear too...
As for internals You could use some forged 4.0L pistons and get some custom rods made, or find some other rod that will fit your crank journals and be long enough and get the forged 4.0L pistons wrist pin location/size custom for your set-up. I wouldn't bother with the crankshaft. . Hesco makes valvesprings/retainers/camshafts... but if you want to try and push a lot of power through your motor i'd get the head worked on (as it sure as hell isn't a honda head lol) and change out your transmission. There are a lot of things that need addressing when wanting to bump up power... which is why lots of people just swap motors. To be Honest, i'd probably swap in a different 4 banger before i went crazy with the 2.5L. The newer 2.4L from the neons has a lot more support (The 2.3L from the Merkur is definately a stout motor also). Their also is a big replacement for those old *** high displacement v8s, its called technology... which is why we have so many 4 cylinder imports putting down 800+whp, which is also why most people buy aftermarket heads for their v8s.

Last edited by accord387; 12-28-2006 at 10:36 AM..
accord387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

lmao here, you say you dont have the time for a swap, but you talk about doing stuff that requires custom made rods, crank, pistons etc etc etc. and not to mention the electronics that go with it.....
the easiest way to get some power and reasonable fuel mileage is to go buy a bust up 4.0 cherokee for under a grand and get to it. i'd say for well under 2k, you would have a 4.0 yj, with the auto/manual that came behind it., tell you now, the ax5 will not handle any more power! so there is a tranny to find aswell....
i just put a bored over 4.3/700r4 into my yj, for probably less time and money than you will need to boost the 2.5 and rebuild the tranny the 1st 3 times after it grenades on you...
i chose the 4.3 for the size, weight and fuel. i dont need a v8 in a yj, the 6 will do nicely. if you insist on blowing that thing, keep us posted. but there is a time when you say that what you have in there is not a good candidate for more power. i know guys want to do something different, use what they got, blah blah blah. but when the custom fuel pump/distributor/plugs/baffled oil pan/oil lines to the turbo/ whatever other custom stuff on there takes a dump on a sunday afternoon, who ye gonna call? ghostbusters? try and stick to something that you can get parts for anywhere.
just my opinion, i've been hearing the 2.5 turbo song for ages and yet to see a complete one that behaves well.....built for less than a motor swap!!
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
kevin564

@#$$*%! tired engine

Thanks for everybody's input, I am calculating costs of 2.5 turbo vs. other small engines. Even though the jeep isnt my daily driver, I want to make trips in it without spending hundreds in fuel! Obviously, I am not an expert on doing engine swaps, but could it be possible to use a normally transversely mounted engine into a longitudally mounted one using the engine from an SRT-4, obviously not using the tranny. I am positinve that these things can easily put out 400hp with stock internals. I am also wondering about anybodys expierence on swapping an OBD2 engine into a vehicle designed as an OBD1. Thanks again for the input
95 YJ- 2.5- CAI, Throttle body spacer, lift shackles (poly greaseable), 31x10.50 BFG A/Ts, Delta H4 headlamp conversion, 2 competition SPL boxes w/12s and 1500 watt monoblock (for now), misc. electrical upgrades
kevin564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
slater03
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you happen to find an srt-4 engine it probably wont be cheap. Plus if you got different 4 banger you would still have to find a way to hook it up to you tranny which could be impossible. Since the AX-5 is a weak *** tranny you would have to probably upgrade it like mentioned earlier. If you found a full engine, tranny, and t-case out of any size truck (4.3 out of an s10 is nice and cheap) or and you would get more power and probably better gas mileage.
Unread 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin564
...but could it be possible to use a normally transversely mounted engine into a longitudally mounted one using the engine from an SRT-4, obviously not using the tranny...
Not if you still want to keep your transfer case. Don't know if you are looking at transaxle tranny's with those little fart can motors you're talking about, but it would be a mess getting them to work with a vehicle with a live front axle. And you would lose 4x4. Mouting it longitudally, it might work if you could get the tail shaft on the tranny to line up with the transfer case. Keep in mind nobody makes an adapter for these wierd applications.

You will aboslutely not get a wave from me if I hear your Jeep has a coffee can'd 4 banger. You Jeep deserves better. Those motors can make a lot of power and can make some good noises, but not in a Jeep.

Engine swaps/replacements are not the most dificult things to do on vehicles. Why not a 4.3 or 5.7 Chevy swap? Fill up the space in the engine compartment that AMC gave you.
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
lildavid67

Not to sound like a downer, but you're fuel mileage is going to go way down with the turbo. Plus, like they've said above, the powerband on a turbo is exactly the opposite of what you're gonna want from a jeep motor.
lildavid67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i could give you step by step directions on the 4.3/700r4 swap. and the chevy already had a 231 t/case. used the rear of the jeep case to the front of the chevy case....
i paid $800 for the complete running s10 blazer. i could have just put it in there, but decided to totally rebuild and bore over the motor. i am using the jeep radiator, wiring from painless ($325 well spent) and made fuel lines etc myself. i would say that the swap could be done for under $1000 plus the price of the donor if you cut a few corners and maybe even used the chevy harness!!
bang for buck, with fuel mileage? cant beat a v6 i think.
gets rid of the 4 banger, the crap ax5 tranny, and still can use the 231 you already have!!! and there are tons of aftermarket companies that exist for the chevy swaps, so plenty of resources aswell (YOU WILL THANK ME FOR THIS ADVISE!!)
try to go with the flow for the most part, it is cheaper and a whole lot less headaches. read my thread (the swap is officially underway) and see all the questions have been answered, and advice given. then imagine trying to go it alone, 'cause no one has ever put a 4cylinder XXX make into a jeep....
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #13
accord387

400whp will not be possible with a 4 banger and a low/midrange powerband, i dont know why people keep stating a turbo doesn't produce a good powerband for a jeep, its all about picking a turbo that suits your needs, a large turbo like high horsepower 4 cylinder cars run obviously doesn't work.... If you want lots of power (which i don't see the point in for a jeep....) i suggest swapping in a bigger motor of some sort. The 4.3 seems like a great move, their good motors and easily available like previously stated. The SRT-4 motor is the same basic 2.4L used in TJ, so mounting a tranny/transfercase wouldn't be very hard, but again your 400whp goal and the powerband we need is not realistic, a boosted 4.3L would be a better bet at those numbers. I just dont see any reason for so much power, i'd rather invest in a nice transfercase set-up.
accord387 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i'll have a smile on my face while my 50k mile old my 102 hp (probably 80whp or so) 2.5 liter 4 banger crawls over the rocks you 400 whp ricers are stuck on
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #15
Punisher
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
i'll have a smile on my face while my 50k mile old my 102 hp (probably 80whp or so) 2.5 liter 4 banger crawls over the rocks you 400 whp ricers are stuck on

No words have ever been so true.
See ya on the trail.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.