JEEP 2.5 stalls after less than a minute or idling or driving, fuel stops spraying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JEEP 2.5 stalls after less than a minute or idling or driving, fuel stops spraying

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 02-21-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

JEEP 2.5 stalls after less than a minute or idling or driving, fuel stops spraying

1989 Wrangler 2.5L 4 banger, thorttle body injection (1 injector, no fuel rail)

new problem.. after running for a minute or less the injector in my throttle body stops straying fuel.

i have replaced the fuel pump, strainer, and gasket for the top of the tank where the assembly seals and it still does it.

fuel sprops spraying and it dies. after it dies i try to crank it again and no fuel sprays. after a few times fuel starts spraying again and it cranks and runs for another minute or less. thought maybe fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator was bad so i replaced the pump.... regulator will be in stock tomorrow morning @ 9am for me.... how hard is this to install?

the fuel filter was almost brand new but i removed it and replaced it with a piece of hose just to see what happened and it still acted exactly the same. filter is now reinstalled.

has anyone ever had this problem before?

-Erik <---- confused

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

bump

crank position sensor... would that cause this?
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if you want, i can probably swing by tomorrow afternoon/evening to see if maybe we can get it going?
Unread 02-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going with fuel filter.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

dude come by, hahahaha

the more heads the better

fuel filter is brand new. thought that MAYBE it was the culpret anyway so i pulled it out... and it spilled out lots of clean gas no water, dirt, etc. i replaced the filter with a hose just to see what would happen. same problem. i reinstalled the fuel filter there-after.

could crank position sensor cause this type of problem?

and i ordered that new fuel pressure regulator.... anyone ever installed one on a throttle body injectoed 4 banger? looking for suggestions to make it as simple as possible.

-Erik

Unread 02-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

where do u live and what time will u be there?
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you can't follow this, use mapquest or call me... i'll be home all day after 11am...

anyone else who wants to help, rob me, give me money, etc.... if you can't find me with this info you're just SOL.

-Erik <--- too poor to be afraid of thieves

Unread 02-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

5-5:30 good?
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

AWESOME... i should have my new fuel pressure regulator on by then assuming it goes well (never installed one before so this should be interesting).... might even have a crank position sensor installed if i can't find anything else to replace....

you don't have any 2.5L parts around do you? specifically the fuel injector that mounts in the throttle body?

Unread 02-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I assume you don't' get a check engine light? Check your grounds especially the one for the fuel pump if it is even a bit lose it will cause this very thing. Make sure the fuel evaporative system is not clogged either.
Unread 02-21-2006, 08:58 PM   #11
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

my egr system is almost toally removed (egr valve is still there but its all plugged up) and my charcoal canister has been long gone as well. my main. required light was removed about 4 years ago but it lit up when i stuck a bulb in it last year... i promptly removed the bulb again. the only indicator lights on my dash that work are blinkers, high beams, seat belt, and the shift arrow.... come to think of it... what signals the shift arrow? i didnt think i had any vacuum lines connected to anything except MAP, 4WD, and PCV....

the ground strap on the driver's side is good and the ground cable on the passenger side that goes to the battery is good.

the vent tube for my fuel tank that vents into the passenger side rear quarter panel is functional as i checked it today when i dropped the tank again.

the connections within the tank on the fuel pump and pickup assembly are all snug... i made sure of that prior to reinstallation.

the more i think about it... this stated after i was working on the jeep in a light rain a couple days ago.... tomorrow i'm going to replace the fuel pump relay if i can find it, and check all my connections to make sure they aren't shorting out on something or wet inside the plugs....

-Erik <--- still baffled though some new ideas have popped in my head of things to check for

Unread 02-22-2006, 05:16 AM   #12
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
AWESOME... i should have my new fuel pressure regulator on by then assuming it goes well (never installed one before so this should be interesting).... might even have a crank position sensor installed if i can't find anything else to replace....

you don't have any 2.5L parts around do you? specifically the fuel injector that mounts in the throttle body?
i don't have any spare parts laying around.... my jeeps still a virgin at only 102,000 miles.... haven't had to replace anything major yet...
Unread 02-22-2006, 07:37 AM   #13
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

lucky you......

does anyone have an extra known working injector laying around they'd sell?

Unread 02-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

replaced fuel pressure regulator... still have the problem....

after it turns off i can hear the fuel pump relay click and i can hear the pump send more fuel down the lines.... injector is all i have left if this is a mechanical problem....

i'm going to replace the crank position sensor now.... it looked pretty greasy from my old oil leak so maybe thats it?

Unread 02-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if your gonna be around... i'll be there about 5.... we'll get it figured out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.