JCR 1 Ton tie rods & Horrible TURNing Radius - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JCR 1 Ton tie rods & Horrible TURNing Radius

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The cast knuckle?

Unread 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

so you are saying those are cast steel not forged. and that is why people won't/don't weld them- because they would need to be preheated to weld and then heated to de-stress after welding.

In that case I would probably tack up the pieces and have someone at the local metal fab shop weld them hot and final because they can heat them properly. Last thing I would want is for someone to get hurt because my brittle steering knuckle shattered on a pothole...
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
target4fun
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Look on the JB4X4 web site it clearly says, "The stock YJ drag link will be too short to reconnect to the JB-RSB after installation. A new drag link can be assembled from OEM parts which is detailed in the instructions."

The solution is a longer drag link not a drop pitman arm. I used a drag link from a XJ cut it in the middle to the correct length in the JB instructions, butt welded it and then sleeved it and welded the ends of the sleeve, never had an issue and also run 1 ton TRE's.
I have the JCR draglink not a stock one. I wonder if the length can be adjusted out enough. Has anyone a good measurement on what a soa drag length should be?

91 YJ Renegade: 05 tj Motor, NV3550 Transmission, 1 ton Tie rods, SOA w/stock leafs, 33x12.50, 4.11 gears, Tom Woods Drive shafts and SYE, ford 8.8 in rear,M.O.R.E. Rear Traction Bar, D30 front, Intelltronix gauges, HID conversion hella black magic windshield lights, hella renegade fog's in fenders.
target4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If the issue was the length of the drag link your steering would only be limited in 1 direction. That was already stated earlier in the thread. Did you replace the pitman arm with the drop pitman when you installed the new steering links? If so, swap back to the stock arm (which was also previous suggested).
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
target4fun
1991 YJ Wrangler 

K ill buy stock pitman arm and try that. My jeep came lifted with no stock pitman.

91 YJ Renegade: 05 tj Motor, NV3550 Transmission, 1 ton Tie rods, SOA w/stock leafs, 33x12.50, 4.11 gears, Tom Woods Drive shafts and SYE, ford 8.8 in rear,M.O.R.E. Rear Traction Bar, D30 front, Intelltronix gauges, HID conversion hella black magic windshield lights, hella renegade fog's in fenders.
target4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Im not sure if this will help but my a old drag ling for this setup is 33 3/4 center to center of the tie rod end.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this is helpful since I'm SUA? But in running the same 1ton set up... I am using the stock pitman and my turning radius is darn near the same as stock. Maybe lost 1/8 inch to the knuckle stops but hardly notice it in turning.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #23
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
I know that bracket from JB is supposed to be the slick ticket but I have a question. Really two questions.......
Don't know, for the price it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Plus I didn't wanna booty fab a knuckle and have it end up like this trying to get off a trail .....

Assuming you have the skill to do it, go for it and post up your results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target4fun View Post
I have the JCR draglink not a stock one. I wonder if the length can be adjusted out enough. Has anyone a good measurement on what a soa drag length should be?
I understand that, but the JCR one is stock length correct? If you don't have the directions for the JB bracket, I'd give them a call. I would think if you explain the situation they'd be more than happy to give you the measurement you need.

The JCR draglink is just a piece of tubing threaded at each end right? If so I don't see why it couldn't be lengthened the same way I did mine. I mean it's your stuff so do what you will with is, but that's what I'd do.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had to extend mine to get full steering

From the site:
The Drag Link:

The stock YJ drag link will be too short to reconnect to the JB-RSB after installation. A new drag link can be assembled from OEM parts which is detailed in the instructions.

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Don't know, for the price it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Plus I didn't wanna booty fab a knuckle and have it end up like this trying to get off a trail .....

Assuming you have the skill to do it, go for it and post up your results.

I understand that, but the JCR one is stock length correct? If you don't have the directions for the JB bracket, I'd give them a call. I would think if you explain the situation they'd be more than happy to give you the measurement you need.

The JCR draglink is just a piece of tubing threaded at each end right? If so I don't see why it couldn't be lengthened the same way I did mine. I mean it's your stuff so do what you will with is, but that's what I'd do.
That's a farmer fab. Those city boys didn't know what baling wire was or what it was used to bale.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #26
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's a farmer fab. Those city boys didn't know what baling wire was or what it was used to bale.
well, as a farmer, you should know now it is baling string!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I was referring to the pre-farmer fab fix that got him off the trail, the original way his PO had done the knuckle.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.