JB4x4 HiSteer, Drag Link Clearance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > JB4x4 HiSteer, Drag Link Clearance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGR8TOPS HD TJ Replacement HingesPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness Kits

Unread 04-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
NewKindOfClown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

JB4x4 HiSteer, Drag Link Clearance

Hey all,

I just installed a set of axles I picked up (SOA), and the guy must have been running crazy lift. The rear pinion angle was 32°! I shimmed both axles for now since I'm rushing to prep for a weekend trip, but I have a new problem.

The guy included the steering in the sale and said he'd been using it, but I can only make a quarter turn left before the drag link hits the spring. I'm also limited to a little over an inch of droop on that side for the same reason.

Am I missing something here? What are my options for fixing this?

1993 YJ, 4.0L, D30/8.8 SOA, RE1444 1.5" springs, MORE 5/8" boom shackles, JB4x4 HiSteer bracket, stock pitman arm

20150405_214355_1428324647082.jpg   20150405_214344_1428324672580.jpg  

Last edited by NewKindOfClown; 04-06-2015 at 07:53 AM..
NewKindOfClown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you using a drop pitman arm?
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
NewKindOfClown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I installed a new stock pitman arm with the axle swap. Sorry, I added that to the first post via edit
37" Goodyear MTRs
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you pull the shims on the front, what's your caster angle? Also you can roll that retaining clip up if it's contacting the bolt and nut on your drag link.
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
NewKindOfClown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The angle iron he welded on for strength is contacting the edge of the leaf. I just installed the 6" shims (aluminum, temporary until we move perches), and I can measure the current caster when I go downstairs (and I'll edit this post within the next 20 minutes when I do). The driveline angle still isn't right, as the 6° shims weren't enough in the front. It needs 3-4° more to bring the pinion and driveshaft in line. These things were practically pointing at the sky when I got them... I know the extra few degrees will move the steering up a little higher, but I don't think it'd be enough to drive.
37" Goodyear MTRs
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did he cut his old drag link in half and use angle to extend it? Flipping the drag link should give you a little clearance since the angle will be on top, but its not a permanent solution.
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
NewKindOfClown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, I'm so burnt out from the work that I didn't even consider a half turn on the drag link. Thank you. Now let me get down there and give you some answers.

My last trip to Rausch Creek left me with two broken drive shafts, a broken D35 pinion yoke, a broken TC yoke, and blown #2 and #3 cylinders. It's been non-stop work since July (in a parking lot) to get this thing ready for this weekend, and my optimism is dwindling.
37" Goodyear MTRs
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
NewKindOfClown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Caster (measured on the bottom of the C) is 1-1.5° with the 6° shims installed to LOWER my pinion angle.

The drag link is solid. He added the angle to strengthen it for the oversize tires.

I just finished rotating it a half turn. I can turn the wheel farther left than before, but it's still contacting.
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So if you remove the shims you'll have 7* caster? Are the new perches parallel to the original ones? Everywhere I've read about soa has always wanted approximately 7* caster for the dana 30.
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Caster angle trumps pinion angle, adjust/build around that. I'd also look at building a new drag link.

Looking for 92+ front female seatbelts
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
StanF
Web Wheeler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Caster angle trumps pinion angle, adjust/build around that. I'd also look at building a new drag link.
+1

A new double cardan front driveshaft and new yoke for your NP231 may help with your driveshaft issue.
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Start from the beginning. Pop the drag link, steer both ways, then lock the steering wheel in the center of rotation (so it takes equal turns each way to hit the gearbox internal stop, no matter where the actual steering wheel points). Then make sure the pitman is pointing about straight backwards, fix it if not. Then, with the tires straight, adjust the drag link length and put it back on. Now see how the steering is lock to lock.
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
NewKindOfClown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I took off my 1-ton steering to install these axles. Shims and stock steering parts are all temporary, but I didn't know caster is so important. So is the consensus that I should remove the front shims? If I do, the steering will be even closer to the leaf spring.

I should mention I installed a TJ NP231, and this D30 has solid shafts. Also, I'll be towing the YJ behind my J10 if the Wrangler is ready to go to Rausch this weekend. So it won't be seeing road miles if that makes a difference for anyone's advice on this temporary setup.

And thanks again. This is my first time messing with a front axle.
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
NewKindOfClown
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don, that's all been done. The problem is my drag link is contacting the leaf spring and limiting my ability to turn left, as well as my passenger side downtravel.
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I understand you're just trying to get it going, but......

I'd cut those perches off, they're super tall and that's likely a big reason why you're contacting springs/drag link. When I set my perches when I did the SOA I simply set them parallel to the stock perches. If the stock ones are still there it's easy to simply get them "level" then tack perches to the top side "level".

The stock YJ drag link if too short to use the JB setup, I got one from a XJ cut it in half and cut out what I didn't need (it's quite a bit longer than a YJ). Then butt welded the two pieces together, ground it smooth, then sleeved it with some square tubing plug welded in several spots and fully welded at the ends.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.