J.B. conversions > = < Novak sye - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > J.B. conversions > = < Novak sye

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

J.B. conversions > = < Novak sye

Which is better? I had decided on the jb shorty kit but it's back ordered till the end of july and I need it by the second week of july. Are the novak short shaft kits just as good?

Unread 06-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can't go wrong with the Novak kit but the JB kit is superior.

I haven't seen the cheap hack n tap kits break yet so go ahead and get what is available
Unread 06-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

hmm.. I have a chance to get a dana 300, maybe I should just go that route and buy a flip ring.
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
89yjparrothead
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the standard length JB Conversions SYE and love it. While you have the case down and apart, buy the wide chain kit for it also.
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a jb conversions 231hd with the ss sye and all the goodies and it has held up real well over the last couple of years. I also have a ton of novak stuff on my rig too, and those guys are great to deal with. All I can say is both companies are standup and I dont hesitate on getting stuff from either. Jb's ss sye is the best out there though. If you weren't out in Utah I would say just by my tcase but shipping alone would prob kill the savings.
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I'm really thinking about the d300 swap. What else is needed to do the swap other than the flip ring?
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well with the time crunch, I scrapped the d300 idea for now. Other than the over sized oil delivery in the jb kit, what ways is it superior to the novak? They look like they give pretty much the same length drive shaft, and the same type of yoke. The bearings I would think would be the same. So is either main shaft stronger than the other? Does either one install easier than the other? I have a week left before I dive into everything, and I'm just wondering if it is worth the wait in order to get the jb kit at the end of july.
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Their website is rather convincing. Check it out.
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Kamikaze
1988 YJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, neither option is bad. It will hold up way beyond the actual strength of the 231 design. Either option will be the strong point in that t-case. Good luck.
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've been out of Jeeping for a few years before recently getting back into it, but back then they were good.... any reason you didn't mention TeraFlex as an option? They make a super short too...

http://www.teraflex.biz/231-extreme-short-shaft.html

another possibly option. I don't have it, but it looks fairly similar. Once I'm ready to go SYE, I'll be going with JB because I'm going with the NP241 case, and they're the only ones (that I've found) who do a super short.... but those too are out til at least mid July.

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
TebbsJeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wanna say that the teraflex and novak are the same thing. They do alot of things together so it wouldn't surprise me if they were. Teraflex is about twenty dollars cheaper than getting it straight from novak. And with shipping costs it's pretty much the same price for me if they shipped it to me or if I drove up to get it. The instructions for both the jb conversions and the novak look the same for the most part. So as of right now I'm leaning towards ordering the novak kit from teraflex unless someone knows a solid reason to hold out for the jb kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.