ive tried every thing !!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ive tried every thing !!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #31
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes test or change the sensor on the thermostat housing first. That is the sensor your getting the code for?

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #32
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah only codes are 12, 22, 33. Only concerning one is 22. Can drive it to point A to point B just a Lil trouble in that gear. I hope it focusing. My luck it wont
cody413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #33
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And laybackman, what do you mean by a timing light ?
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You've gotten a lot of theories and advice. I feel like, due to your inexperience, it would be best if you focus on, and solve one issue at a time. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that there can be many theories and some will be wrong or address issues that are unrelated to the issue you posted about.

My advice is if you can't test your current coolant temperature sensor, the next best thing is to replace the sensor with a new one, unplug your negative battery cable for about 10-15 seconds, and then drive it for about 20 minutes to see if the code and the 4th gear issue pop up again.

Do this first, and then move to the next theory. After all, you KNOW you have an issue with the temp sensor. Clearing that up may clear up your issue. If not, at least you have that issue sorted out and can rule it out.

In my opinion, you should spend $18 on a multimeter at Autozone, spend an hour reading the booklet on how to use it to test resistances (ohms) and test your coolant temp sensor and wire to see if it is, in fact, bad. By doing this, you may save $13, you will learn a skill that you will use again on your YJ in the future, and you will have a very handy YJ troubleshooting tool (and know how to use it). I'm becoming a big fan of troubleshooting to find the root cause of an issue before throwing parts and money at our YJ. I wasn't always like that, but over time, finding the real issue and knowing that you fixed it right, for just the money you needed to spend, is actually the fun part. I am active on here and see simple to diagnose issues turn into a complete clusterf**k of guessing because the OP has changed random parts without doing the basics of investigative troubleshooting. Don't be that guy.

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #35
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That was a great advice. ^^ I will got get a meter tomarrow and start from there. You don't just get born knowing everything. Only one way to learn
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #36
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody413 View Post
And laybackman, what do you mean by a timing light ?
It is a tool used to check engine timing.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #37
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, but it's pretty useless on his YJ. Computer controls everything and timing chain anomalies wouldn't be temperature dependent.

Were getting off track. Follow the errors.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #38
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Yeah, but it's pretty useless on his YJ. Computer controls everything and timing chain anomalies wouldn't be temperature dependent.

Were getting off track. Follow the errors.
It is not useless if he can determine that his timing is all over the place at idle. That is usually caused by a stretched timing chain.

Add that to the fact that he just demanded an increase in timing advance from near idle in 4th gear by hitting the gas on a 22 year old engine and timing can cause it to bog and almost stall....until the ECU can guess what happened and then make the necessary adjustments.

If it was a sensor out of range his CEL would light up.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #39
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
It is not useless if he can determine that his timing is all over the place at idle. That is usually caused by a stretched timing chain.

Add that to the fact that he just demanded an increase in timing advance from near idle in 4th gear by hitting the gas on a 22 year old engine and timing can cause it to bog and almost stall....until the ECU can guess what happened and then make the necessary adjustments.

If it was a sensor out of range his CEL would light up.
I'm not saying it isn't the timing chain or his advance mechanism. I am saying that he is throwing a CEL Code 22 - Coolant Temp Sensor. IMO, once he has that sorted out, Charlie Mike on more troubleshooting if it doesn't clear it up.

Unread 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #40
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like they are all giving you some real sound advice.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #41
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I'm not saying it isn't the timing chain or his advance mechanism. I am saying that he is throwing a CEL Code 22 - Coolant Temp Sensor. IMO, once he has that sorted out, Charlie Mike on more troubleshooting if it doesn't clear it up.
Agreed!

Fix the obvious, with some reservations. Like an O2 sensor code which does not indicate a bad O2 sensor, but usually a cracked manifold/exhaust pipe up stream of the sensor.

Sometimes we bombard the OP with our guestimates. Then I forget if they follow up on any/all of them....I'm old and although my memory is flawless....my recollection is a bit .....shall we say problematic...

Unread 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #42
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Agreed!

Fix the obvious, with some reservations. Like an O2 sensor code which does not indicate a bad O2 sensor, but usually a cracked manifold/exhaust pipe up stream of the sensor.

Sometimes we bombard the OP with our guestimates. Then I forget if they follow up on any/all of them....I'm old and although my memory is flawless....my recollection is a bit .....shall we say problematic...
The issue is that there can be (and usually are) so many underlying issues on a 20+ year old Jeep that it's more a question of where to start and what path to follow. Will the CTS solve his issue? probably not, but it is a start.

Plus - if he buys a multimeter AND learns how to use it, he's taken a step towards troubleshooting electrical for himself. The only part of our YJ i haven't been into is the diffs ( other than to drain and refill) and the front hubs and u-joints. Damn YJs are like an onion.. peel one layer and find another and another..all the time fighting back tears.

Unread 10-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #43
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

All great advice. You can never have to much advice when it comes to Jeeps. Which I learned really quick with my 20 year old Jeep. Still running great besides the fact of 4th gear trouble. Which didn't happen on a 30 min drive today
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #44
saintk99
1995 YJ Wrangler 

cody413...i live in punta gorda...i am learning to work on my yj too....if you ever want to wrench on them a little i have a few tools.
saintk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #45
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Only way to learn is to practice and tinker around. And saintk99 I will for sure take you up on that offer. Always looking for Jeep buddies to work, ride, and talk about stuff to improve our Jeeps. Thanks for all the help everyone

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.