ive tried every thing !!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ive tried every thing !!!

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ive tried every thing !!!

I have a 92 wrangler with the 2.5. Im having a problem after it get to normal temp. It'll start and idle fine. But when I get to 4th gear and I'll b coasting and go to hit the gas to maintain speed. (still in 4th) and it will big and jerk like it's gonna stall. I'll have to stop accelerating and then try again and it will clear. Only happens in 4th gear. I've changed TPS, plugs, thermostat housing. Fuel pressure is good. Just had a head job done a month ago. Idk if a 02 sensor can do it. It's Also a manual.

cody413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ive tried every thing !!!

I have a 92 wrangler with the 2.5. Im having a problem after it get to normal temp. It'll start and idle fine. But when I get to 4th gear and I'll b coasting and go to hit the gas to maintain speed. (still in 4th) and it will buck and jerk like it's gonna stall. I'll have to stop accelerating and then try again and it will clear. Only happens in 4th gear. I've changed TPS, plugs, thermostat housing. Fuel pressure is good. Just had a head job done a month ago. Idk if a 02 sensor can do it. It's Also a manual. It is also throwing code 22 ( temp thermostat) cause this?
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've definitely heard of cases where a bad O2 sensor can cause issues once warmed up, though I've no personally experienced it.

Try unplugging the O2 sensor first and see if there's any change in the behavior.

The recent head job seems like a red flag, though. Did it start before or after? Why did you need it done?

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If your getting code 22 you need to take care of that first. Yes it can cause this issue. Its the sensor in the Thermostat housing. I think its about $30 for a replacment.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It started happening after. But the reason it went it is because I went Mudding more like swapping being a idiot chasing pigs.And it wouldn't start. Mechanic said I warped the cylinder head. It was happening right after the shop but I changed the TPS and ignition coil and cleared up till now.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The ECm is telling you what the problem is or atleast part of the problem. Listen to it. You need to change or atleast test the temp sensor.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Where are the sensors ? I heard there's two.,When I it the head job he put the one by the coolant hose in the front of the engine.
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just looked at it. Both are brand new.
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They can be bad out of the box. I would hope for that tracing wires is no fun. Check to make sure the connections is tight. Reset the ECM(Dissconnect the battery for 30 seconds. Start it back up and see if the code comes back.

Unread 10-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I disconnected the battery for 20 min still on there. Everything I've been reading is sensor related or a fuel pump. Could it be the oxygen sensor
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody413 View Post
I just looked at it. Both are brand new.
I looked at the pistol. It didn't look loaded....

"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them." -Obiwan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody413 View Post
I disconnected the battery for 20 min still on there. Everything I've been reading is sensor related or a fuel pump. Could it be the oxygen sensor
EDIT: To reset the ECM, simply disconnect the negative battery cable, leaving the positive cable attached, for a period of no less than 10 seconds. Disconnecting the pos and neg terminals may or may not net you a reset depending upon the order in which you reinstall and the speed of re-installation.

The electronic device that was designed to help you diagnose issues with your vehicle is telling you you have a bad temp sensor.

You reset the ECM to clear the code.

It tells you again that the temp sensor is bad.

Must be the O2 sensor.. right?

Test Your Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor:

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

To clarify: I suggested unplugging the O2 sensor not because it was most likely, but merely because unplugging it is easy and free and can help you eliminate one possible source very easily.

If you're getting a error, follow that up as the most important.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OP I am noticing a pattern here that goes along with what I have been telling you. I went through trouble shooting with one of the most qualified people on this forum (Hint: HE designed part of this system for Chrysler) One of the things he taught me is if the computer tells you something listen to it. It is telling you for a reason. You can repeat the code after a reset. THat says bad temp sensor or wiring between it and the ECM.

Unread 10-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
OP I am noticing a pattern here that goes along with what I have been telling you. I went through trouble shooting with one of the most qualified people on this forum (Hint: HE designed part of this system for Chrysler) One of the things he taught me is if the computer tells you something listen to it. It is telling you for a reason. You can repeat the code after a reset. THat says bad temp sensor or wiring between it and the ECM.
:deadhorse:

EDIT: You may want to follow this other thread on the YJ forums. Looks like the OP has similar issue(s): http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...thing-1669905/

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
cody413
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I will defiantly have to test the temp sensors. maybe just buy new ones since they are cheap. Which inner should've focus on more. Front or back one ? And if I unplug the 02 sensor and leave it unplugged . How will I know if it's bad ? Will there be no problem with it out ?

Tags
bucking , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.