ive got oil in my air filter!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ive got oil in my air filter!?!

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ive got oil in my air filter!?!

i recently bought a 92 yj with a 4.0liter and i was checking everything out and when i pulled the air filter there is oil inside the box and on the filter. what could be causing this?!?

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
buzzbrick
1986 CJ7 

That sounds like a PCV issue. They're cheap and easy to install, I'd start there.
buzzbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/archive...php/t-411.html
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
brc94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Call up a dealer and tell them you need a CCV kit. Should run you about $25-30.

Red Jeep Club Member #518
brc94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbrick View Post
That sounds like a PCV issue. They're cheap and easy to install, I'd start there.
hey guys thanks, and yeah the pcv seems in bad shape. i hope the engine isnt bad, it has 147k miles on it. its seems to run good just the oil in the filter problem.
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Its either an issue with the CCV system, or you have engine blowby. I had the latter I my old 2.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
Its either an issue with the CCV system, or you have engine blowby. I had the latter I my old 2.5.
I also have blowby in my 2.5. The engine still seems to run well despite spitting out oil.
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
yjislander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

(insert forrest gump voice) It happens....I had the same thing, the above stated fixed me right up
penaties™
cought™
buissinesses™
mabey™
seel™
come'in™

Christian Jeeper #4

92 Yj on 32's
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
I'm so poor, I bought a hooker then beat her up and took my fake money back.
yjislander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Ironman23
1987 YJ Wrangler 

is this post refering to the actually intake filter or the breather filter inside the factory air cleaner housing?
Ironman23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
humbert810
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. Sounds like PCV. Once you fix this look up the Oil Scrubber that another jeepforum member posted in the I made _____ for my YJ. It goes in your Crankcase vent tube to celan oil before putting it into the air box to keep the filter dry.
33x12.50x15 Firestone Destination MT's
This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.
humbert810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Blow by is also caused by piston rings being blocked or caked up on the rings which causes pressure to blow back out through the valve cover and into the vent tubes going to the air filter.

I had this problem on my 2.5l so instead of rebuilding the engine i bought a new Remanufactured engine with a 3 yr unlimited milage warranty.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

the 91+ engines don't use a PCV, instead they use a CCV. the only major difference is the first uses an actual valve that's replaceable, the second does not. it's a common problem that's usually easily solved by cleaning the tubes in the system. the sludge will build up in the output line until it plugs it and then the fumes have nowhere to go but back up the fresh air intake line that goes back to the air box taking the oil with it. if cleaning/replacing the lines doesn't do the trick however you may need to take the valve cover off and give the inside a good cleaning. that was the case with mine. my front port was caked with carbon deposits, grease and oil. a little kerosene, a tooth brush and some dental picks too care of things. no more oil in the box even with 160K on the clock.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
Kraxen
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys. i pulled all the hoses and cleaned them and i pulled the valve cover; cleaned that good replaced the gasket and i have to say is the bolt near the fire wall is a pain lol anyways i havnt ran it enough yet to notice any more oil coming out and to top it off i bought a new air filter and the guy didnt have one for a 4.0 yj so i got one for a 4.0 cherokee and its to big. go figure the same motor with different sized air filter >.<
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-YJ-X View Post
thanks guys. i pulled all the hoses and cleaned them and i pulled the valve cover; cleaned that good replaced the gasket and i have to say is the bolt near the fire wall is a pain lol anyways i havnt ran it enough yet to notice any more oil coming out and to top it off i bought a new air filter and the guy didnt have one for a 4.0 yj so i got one for a 4.0 cherokee and its to big. go figure the same motor with different sized air filter >.<
I buy Fram air filters at WalMart for my '91 & '93 YJ's. Fram part number 3363 and it costs about $3-$4 dollars, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.