It's a Love/Hate relationship. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > It's a Love/Hate relationship.

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippiGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
li3dmyfac30ff

It's a Love/Hate relationship.

I currently have an '89 YJ. The drive train is stock (currently). I brought it home (a 100 mile journey). I was elated to be the owner of a "brand new to me" Jeep. The day I got it plated and inspected the battery completely crapped out as did the alternator. I replaced the alternator and battery and all was running smooth. The next day I drive it and it has some serious issues. At about 2000 to 2500 RPM in 2nd through 5th gear it sputters like it's being starved of fuel but only going uphill. This being a serious issue to me I go to my local AutoZone and buy the following :
Fuel Filter
Plugs and Plug Wires
Air Cleaner
Oil and Oil Filter
I complete this and the engine is still doing the same thing. So I make another trip to my local AutoZone and buy the following:
Cap and Rotor
Ignition Coil
Still same issues, next trip to AutoZone:
Fuel Pump
This solved my issues for a little while. Now she is back to the same old tricks again. It's not quite as bad as it was still driveable but has a terrible time going uphill unless I shift up.
At this point I am considering rebuilding the carburetor (until I can afford a better one than the stock Carter) and doing the "Nutter Bypass".
Is there something I missed and am I going to acheive the desired results of a smooth running Jeep after these "upgrades"?

li3dmyfac30ff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
li3dmyfac30ff

Thanks to "greyarea" a fellow JF member, I will be replacing my stock Carter carburetor with a Weber 34. While I have everything tore down is there anything I should do, other than removing the excess vacuum, Team Rush (future upgrade), Nutter Bypass, and removing the pulse air system and sealing off the tubes for that, that any other YJ owner's with the 4.2L I6 can recommend. I am open to anything as long as there is good justification behind it.
li3dmyfac30ff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by li3dmyfac30ff View Post
Thanks to "greyarea" a fellow JF member, I will be replacing my stock Carter carburetor with a Weber 34. While I have everything tore down is there anything I should do, other than removing the excess vacuum, Team Rush (future upgrade), Nutter Bypass, and removing the pulse air system and sealing off the tubes for that, that any other YJ owner's with the 4.2L I6 can recommend. I am open to anything as long as there is good justification behind it.
Glad things are coming along for you. I did my nutter and checked my timing before I changed carbs, I think it's better to do it that way. I did my teamrush after I swapped carbs. Let us know how things are going, there are plenty of guys who have gone to weber, so you will have all the help you need along the way!

Tags
4.2 , carburetor , fuel , nutter , nutter help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.