It's Alive!!! The tranny works!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > It's Alive!!! The tranny works!!!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's Alive!!! The tranny works!!!

After 9 weeks of frustration, I finally have a running Jeep again. It may only run once before something breaks, but it's running. Swapping in an AX15 was fairly easy. Finding out why the AX15 kept locking into 5th gear wasn't easy. Shift rails don't have to be bent very much to throw everything out of tolerance. I guess a good thing is that I know the inner workings of a manual transmission very well now. I also know how long it takes to order and wait on parts deliveries.

Biggest lesson learned----just because you don't believe something is the problem is no reason not to check it anyway.

lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah? What was the tallied total (parts only)? Am curious as i fear that one day i too will have to do the same thing in my '89.....
I've heard numbers all ove the place (although they typically are in the $1800~$2000 ballpark...
thanks in advance.

john
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbikers
Oh yeah? What was the tallied total (parts only)? Am curious as i fear that one day i too will have to do the same thing in my '89.....
I've heard numbers all ove the place (although they typically are in the $1800~$2000 ballpark...
thanks in advance.

john

i hope that's installed!!!! an ax15 can be found at a j/y fairly cheap....if your spending that kind of money, might as well go w/ a stronger unit (NV4550)
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, that's just it...when reading some posts regarding the BA10 and the conversion the posts read "be ready to spend $2000", so that was why the question. I was hoping that the parts would be less than half of that, i'll do the rest myself ...so back to my question....how much just for parts??

Thanks
Unread 06-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission $150.
NP231 $100.
External Slave and master $120
New seals and shift fork pads for tcase $90
Seals, syncros, and bearings for transmission $350. This would have been cheaper if I had just bought a rebuild kit instead of replacing parts as I found them bad.
5th counter gear $120. Do NOT remove this gear with a 2 jaw puller the way the book shows. It breaks teeth on the gear.
New 5th gear syncro, keys, and springs because the new gear is the post '92 version $35.
New 5th gear shift sleeve $40. Part of my trial and error.
New 5th gear shift rail $30.
Cheap transmission jack from Harbor Freight $60. WELL worth the money since it cost $40 a day to rent one. Easier on the back too.

I could have save about $200 in parts if I had believed the shift rail was slightly bent when my little pea brain told me to check it and I refused.

I also could have saved about $100 if I had bought a total rebuild kit instead of trying to do it piece by piece.

But that's just the way I seem to do things. Those costs are all approximate because it would make me mad at myself to pull the receipts and see what all I wasted again. Overall, if I were you, I would watch for a cheap used tranny and tcase, rebuild them, and install them yourself. This was the first one I had ever seen the inside of. I'm not afraid of a manual transmission any more.
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
jipjip

but if your just doing a swap from the ba10 to the ax15, then you won't have to rebuild it unless you know there's a problem. to just do the swap, all you need is the tranny and t-case. all the rest bolts right up.
oh and a different d/s too.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Chuck2543

I actually just finished a rebuild on my AX5. Nice little project, transmissions are. Parts actually took longer than the labor. Those transmission rebuild kits are great, paid about $140 for mine, and got all the synchros, bearings, and seals. Total cost of project including clutch and some new tools ~ $400. Once you crack a transmission open, and get it back together successfully, you're not as afraid of that little box anymore.
33" BFG A/T
Reman NP231
Custom Fab Front and rear bumpers.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Chuck2543 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck2543
I actually just finished a rebuild on my AX5. Nice little project, transmissions are. Parts actually took longer than the labor. Those transmission rebuild kits are great, paid about $140 for mine, and got all the synchros, bearings, and seals. Total cost of project including clutch and some new tools ~ $400. Once you crack a transmission open, and get it back together successfully, you're not as afraid of that little box anymore.
Mine would have been cheaper but for 2 things. First, if the counter 5th gear teeth hadn't gotten broken by using a 2 jaw puller like the manual said---the gear on the end of the countershaft has bolt holes to use a bolt style puller---I could have saved $120. Then, if I had checked the straightness of the shift rail before buying a shift sleeve and more syncros I could have saved another hundred. Also, I bought syncros and seals before cracking the case open and finding worn bearings. a kit would have been smarter. Like you said, after that there's nothing to be afraid of in that little box any more.

And jipjp, if you meant drive shaft by the D/S, the original fits fine. the BA and the AX15 are exactly the same length.
Unread 06-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Chuck2543

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah2420
Mine would have been cheaper but for 2 things. First, if the counter 5th gear teeth hadn't gotten broken by using a 2 jaw puller like the manual said---the gear on the end of the countershaft has bolt holes to use a bolt style puller---I could have saved $120. Then, if I had checked the straightness of the shift rail before buying a shift sleeve and more syncros I could have saved another hundred. Also, I bought syncros and seals before cracking the case open and finding worn bearings. a kit would have been smarter. Like you said, after that there's nothing to be afraid of in that little box any more.

And jipjp, if you meant drive shaft by the D/S, the original fits fine. the BA and the AX15 are exactly the same length.

I had actually made 2 trips to autozone trying to find a puller that would fit right on 5th gear. I finally broke down and bought a 7 ton puller from sears. Came off real easy, with no damage. The trick is to make sure the pulling arms put the pressure on the inside of the gear, not the teeth. I was lucky and caught that before i put too much pressure in it.
33" BFG A/T
Reman NP231
Custom Fab Front and rear bumpers.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Chuck2543 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.