it's 12:45am and in 7 hours i am replacing my fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > it's 12:45am and in 7 hours i am replacing my fuel pump

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 09-30-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
j-man

it's 12:45am and in 7 hours i am replacing my fuel pump

so i just studied my chiltons and haynes manuals, and i am fairly sure that my heep isnt starting because of a dead fuel pump.

story time!

leaving school to go home, i am at my dorm complex's stop light, with the tranny in first, clutch down, waiting to go. all of a sudden, without warning, it went dead. no hesitation or anything. this has never happened before, although i have had many starting problems lately, and i never thought it would be a fuel problem because as long as it eventually started i never thought a pump could be intermittant like that. so all the basic ignition stuff like the coil plugs etc were replaced when i got it 6 months ago. then this happens. we got it towed home from long island, and its still not starting. we put some gas in the throttle body, and voila! it starts and dies 2 seconds later. bam fuel problem. so a new pump and both filters are going to be replaced tomorrow by yours truely. im a little nervous, ive replaced alternators and valve cover gaskets before lol but never a fuel pump. wish me luck and tell me anything i should know before hand!

thanks!

pioneer cd deck, sony xplode speakers
cragar rims/30" continental

soon to come:
2.5 spring lift
1" body
31" tires (i like fender clearance :) )

[COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club #297[/COLOR]
j-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
JJorda
Jeep. Jeep? Jeep! Jeep.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with it! You did check for power at the throttle body first, to make sure that your injectors aren't the problem, right?
1989 Jeep Wrangler - Daily Driver and project - Red Jeep Club #216, NRA Jeep Club #5
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Main Project <--454, TH400, 4.10's, FAST
1982 Caprice Classic - Another project <-- 350/700R4, 4 wheel discs
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - Yet another project <--goal of 60 mpg
JJorda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This fix is a sintch.

Firstly, get a jack and some plywood and jack up the gas tank skid plate untill the jeep just barley moved upwards. then,

Looking at the gas tank skid plate, remove all the bolts from the front of the skid plate, next in the rear, remove only the short bolts and leave the bolts connecting to the straps alone.

SLOWLY, lower down the gas tank whena ll bolts are off and at about half way, stick your hand and a screwdriver and unscrew all the clams and wire harness. Dont worry about the gas spilling out, just hold the two gas lines up and they will stop. After you have released all the hoses and such, lower the rest of the tank down and move out of the way to work on.

When you look at the tank, there is that metal plate on top. below that is the mischevious fuel pump. unbolt those bolts and take that sucker out, just remember how you took it out as you'll want to replace it with the new one correctly.

Installation is reversal of removal and you should probably have a freind hgelp you as I'm guessing your gas tank isnt empty.

Good luck.
Unread 10-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
j-man

well, it's done and everything seems fine. at first it wasnt starting up, we had to clean the fuel regulator power connectors, and then it burst to life. battery was also pretty dead, so we had to jump it with my dads car. the whole thing took about 13 hours, because i went through 6 pumps, none of which fit, until we just took one that was sort of close and made it fit. someone needs to make a jeep fuel pump that fits. it really pisses me off. anyways, i have retired my saturn for the two weeks the jeep has been sitting, and made a comeback. its now in my dorm parking lot looking sexy as usual. haha
pioneer cd deck, sony xplode speakers
cragar rims/30" continental

soon to come:
2.5 spring lift
1" body
31" tires (i like fender clearance :) )

[COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club #297[/COLOR]
j-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.