Issues with '78 F150 Front D44 (looking for new axles) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Issues with '78 F150 Front D44 (looking for new axles)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Issues with '78 F150 Front D44 (looking for new axles)

Hey guys,

The other weekend I tore up my dana 30 (ball joints ripped out, snapped axle, tore hub CV ears...etc). (the story, pictures, and video of that can be found here)
before this breakage I had broken my center shaft < 1 month earlier. actually I replaced this with my spare the day before this, haha :-/

So, I think it is time to upgrade, and go SOA all in the process. my goal is to run no larger than 38" tires

I found a guys with a '78 Ford F150-- front D44 rear 9". this would be a good set, however I think it has the dreaded cast radius arm wedges. I am pretty confident I could get the pair for $300 (maybe a little less).

How big of a deal is it to work around this? Is it something to completely avoid?
What would the solution be? cut out the wedge section and re-sleeve or something like that?

Or is it best to just keep looking? Time is not really an issue, my jeep is up on stands, and I can let it sit for as long as I need to--although I'd rather have it up and running sooner, I want to make sure the SOA is done right so I will progress as time and funds allow.

I really only NEED a front axle, as I have an 8.8 rear, but if I can get a 9" or something stronger then I could sell my 8.8--however then I would be limited as far as axle width and bolt pattern. What other options should I look for?

It seems like it is hard to find anything decent that isn't way overpriced.

Thanks

Here are some links for information (for my and others' reference):
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...a-44-a-747194/

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
cowboy63b
1997 ZJ 

hack off the radius arm crap and runn the 9 and 44, just my .02
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
levergun
1979 CJ5 

I would keep the 8.8. The 9" isn't worth it. Cast perches are impossible to work with. Possible just more trouble than you would want.
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by levergun View Post
I would keep the 8.8. The 9" isn't worth it. Cast perches are impossible to work with. Possible just more trouble than you would want.
Yeah that's what I am worried about. Being that whole radius arm wedge piece is cast there isn't really a way to just hack it off.

How impossible?

I was thinking maybe I could cut the tube and re sleeve it with DOM (like joe dillard did with his d30 in his write up)

But yeah....it could definitely wind up being more trouble than it is worth

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
cowboy63b
1997 ZJ 

plasma cutter, or hack off what you dont need, and build your own brackets for a cool SOA, or even better, go find a ford D60(solid, not the TTB crap), and corp. 14B and re center the perches to your width, and run 1 tons!
Unread 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
hack off the radius arm crap and runn the 9 and 44, just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
plasma cutter, or hack off what you dont need, and build your own brackets for a cool SOA, or even better, go find a ford D60(solid, not the TTB crap), and corp. 14B and re center the perches to your width, and run 1 tons!
i think people are missing the point of your post. you really have to look at the axle assembly. dont discount it until so. people will spout off about what year assembly has what but its really moot as there was some leeway year to year. all radius mounts from any year are "cast" steel. the difference is one is a single unit that the tubes are pressed into; the other is made up of two pieces that are welded onto either sides of the tubing. it is real easy to tell the difference even before pulling the unit from the vehicle. ive found a 78 with the more desirable two piece design even though people will argue that 77 was the last year.

you will need to cut the assebly down as it will be way too wide for the 8.8. a couple inches are fine but you are looking at a difference of 8." also if you are using the factory 4 on 4.5 pattern you will need to change that. this is where the previous doesnt make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by levergun View Post
I would keep the 8.8. The 9" isn't worth it.
the matching 9" would come in handy. matching gears, width, and pattern. the 8.8 is fine for the dana 30 crowd but makes for allot of work for those looking for a front axle replacement as well.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will have to go back out to verify if it is the two pc or one pc. If it is the one pc should I totally avoid it?

If I do get it I will keep it full width and run it with the 9"--i'd have to regear and weld up new perches and stuff regardless of axle since I will be doing soa.

9" is stronger anyway right? Even tho it is lp and has drum brakes.

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Provojeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just put a D44/9" from a 76 F-150 SOA under my jeep. The axles are 5" wider than my stock axles so my wheels stick out a bit more. I strongly suspect that your D44 has the two piece axle tubes and that they will need to be either re-tubed or sleeved and that will cost you a bit of cash. As for mixing the D44 and the 8.8 there would be a significant width difference between front and rear and, as mentioned, the D44 and 9" are 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern while your D30 and 8.8 are 5 on 4.5.

I am very happy with the combination on my jeep. You can get alloy axles shafts for the D44 and the ring and pinion will be stronger than you current D30. The drum brakes on the 9" were not an issue for me. If you can get around the two piece axle tubes then go for it, but do the SOA right and don't cut corners.

Good luck.

Last edited by Provojeep; 08-14-2010 at 09:15 PM..
Provojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
parkerm26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i would say ditch it. i tried this with a bronco D44 but i just got so fed up with modifying it so much that i scrapped it. go to 1 tons. 78-79 f350 (some 250's) have the right pumpkin placement up front and you wont second guess 40's on those, especially with a 200 hp engine. just gear it right and it will be better in the long run
Unread 08-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provojeep View Post
I just put a D44/9" from a 76 F-150 SOA under my jeep. The axles are 5" wider than my stock axles so my wheels stick out a bit more. I strongly suspect that your D44 has the two piece axle tubes and that they will need to be either re-tubed or sleeved and that will cost you a bit of cash.
I guess I'm not seeing why this would be a big hassle or expensive..could you please explain?

Could I just just cut it off, get some DOM, and do something like this? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...beware-793813/

Seems like that would work, but I don't know. I will see if I can go back out there and check if it has the single cast mold or the welded on wedge. If it is the cast piece I will probably just avoid it and keep looking, unless someone says the above is a viable option

I think I am going to tear down my jeep today and start posting stuff up for sale that I am not going to need

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Cajun90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just leave the radius arm pads on the axle and weld on your your spring pads. I'm not sure if the radius arm pads would interfear with your spring pads? Just an idea and I am not sure if it would even work.

I just pulled front and rear axles out of a 8/77 ford f -150 which should be a 78 and it was the 1 peice axle with weld on radius arm pads so check yours to be sure.
Cajun90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun90YJ View Post
Why not just leave the radius arm pads on the axle and weld on your your spring pads. I'm not sure if the radius arm pads would interfear with your spring pads? Just an idea and I am not sure if it would even work.

I just pulled front and rear axles out of a 8/77 ford f -150 which should be a 78 and it was the 1 peice axle with weld on radius arm pads so check yours to be sure.
I just checked it earlier today. it is the type with the large cast for the radius arm wedges. makes it pretty much unusable short of re-tubing the thing. Which isn't really bad, so I may come back and do that later if I can't find some other option.

but something is bound to turn up!

thanks for the info, everyone.

Build Thread
jeep stuff
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Provojeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabrah View Post
I guess I'm not seeing why this would be a big hassle or expensive..could you please explain?

Could I just just cut it off, get some DOM, and do something like this?
Yep. You just need to find the DOM to sleeve the existing tube or to replace the entire tube. DOM is not cheap but if you can weld it is not a difficult fix.
Unread 08-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Read this, it is the bible of the Dana 44
Mr.N's Dana Articles to Include 44, 60 information.

The vast majority of responses here are from folks who really do not know what they are talking about.

After you read these article you will be informed enough to make a wise decision.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Read this, it is the bible of the Dana 44
Mr.N's Dana Articles to Include 44, 60 information.

The vast majority of responses here are from folks who really do not know what they are talking about.

After you read these article you will be informed enough to make a wise decision.
Yep, I read that site, that's how I actually found out lots of detail on what to look for on these axles I was looking at.

I wouldn't be scared to re tube it, but then I just really don't think it would be worth it. the 9" is LP, and isn't THAT much greater than the 8.8 I already have (esp if I wind up with a super88 kit).
and the d44 isn't THAT much better than a d30, esp once a d30 has chromo shafts.

So...I am thinking that I may just stick with what i have (d30/8.8) and get the chromo stuff for those and limit my tire size to 35s. in the meantime I will keep my eye out for some d60/70s which I'll jump at if they aren't ridiculously expensive.

bigger would be better, but also more expensive...and time consuming. I don't DD my jeep, so it probably *should* be bigger by now, but I don't get to go wheeling as much as I used to (or have as much free time or money!).

actually I did have a guy around here who wanted to trade a d60/70u (35 spline shafts and all that) for my axles + $800 cash, but his front axle his psd so then I would have to find a dana 300, and...and...and etc.

Build Thread
jeep stuff

Tags
9" , axles , d44 , ford , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.