Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Israeli AIL Storm grille restoration

6K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  bruinjeeper 
#1 ·
I shipped an american grille to Israel, then I went there and traded for a grille from an AIL Storm or Sufa.

The new grille has no wiring or bulbs, but it has H4 headlights.
It doesn't have a hood latch, and i'll have to make a hole in the grille to open it.
The plastic bezels are broken. one broke at the screws and the other cracked in half.
What is the best way to wire it with these headlights?
How can I repair/replace the bezels?

Grille and my New Jeep

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I shipped an american grille to Israel, then I went there and traded for a grille from an AIL Storm or Sufa.

The new grille has no wiring or bulbs, but it has H4 headlights.
It doesn't have a hood latch, and i'll have to make a hole in the grille to open it.
The plastic bezels are broken. one broke at the screws and the other cracked in half.
What is the best way to wire it with these headlights?

Grille and my New Jeep
Your screwed on that one, you aren't gonna find any parts for that grill around here or anyone that knows jack about it...good luck

#6 ·
#10 ·
Ship it to me, I'll even pay the freight.
Send a pix of the business end, and let's see what you have. It appears to have marker lamps on the sides, are there bulbs in there? Might even be 24V, Don't really see what the problem will be wiring it. The hard part will be making it fit.
When you remove your current grille, make certain the wiring stays with the body.

Regards,

Jim W

#13 ·
For some reason I don't foresee too many issues. It is based off of a YJ, so most of the mounting should be the same. The headlights are H4 so that's no big deal (though I recommend relays for everyone). The turn signal/marker light is just bulb or socket.

The only thing I wonder on ths the hood latch. I bet a little research about the donor will show how they did it. Maybe they did without it?

None the less. It's still cool!

#14 ·
I think I would rig up some kind of remote hood release pull for the original hood release, instead of cutting holes in the grill/screen

a simple hole drilled into the tab of the factory release lever, a couple of big split rings, and a cable with loops at each end would do the trick

#16 ·
are those lenses DOT approved?

here something different like that goes under the magnifying glass at the inspection station

would hate to see you go through the work, only to be turned down at inspection time by some overzealous DMV worker because of something trivial

#17 ·
thanks for the wiring diagram.
and I am going to try to to make the remote hood release.
first i gotta replace the small plastic mounting tabs for the headlights 3 broke during shipping, and i have to figure out how to fix the bezel.
the holes look to be in the same place as any other yj grille.
here are some more pictures
thanks for all your help

Attachments

#20 ·

You may have some luck with a plastic welding kit from Harbor Freight or the like. Make the repair then spray paint them. That is such a neat grille, I'm sure you will find a way to make it work. If not, put me in line for the impending auction. :D

#24 ·
Hey Brooklyn:

1 Repair the cracked bezels with black MarineTex. JBWeld on steroids. Just a little at a time, and use a Dremel and sandpaper to shape it. The MarineTex will fill the gaps and add strength. Then, you can use a little Bondo or glazing putty to mint them out. Prime and paint.

2 While I do not know anything about that grille, and H4 is an H4 so you should be able to splice on the connectors you need. I agree that you should wire the headlights thru relays.

3. Use the regular old Jeep external hood latches. You don't need anything else IF you have good-quality ones and they are installed properly.

4 Your Jeep looks fantastic with that camo paint job and it will look even better with the Israeli grill.

:)

#25 ·
thanks for all the help
its taking a while because im replacing the engine in the jeep and its a slow process between work and school and the fact that im doing it in a relatives driveway not that close to my my house.
im going to try making the bezels on inventor and print them out in school.
Ill use the latches until i get around to installing an hood release inside the cab. what car can i get that out of?
ill post any updates
thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.