Investment guidance, proper ways to spend money on YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Investment guidance, proper ways to spend money on YJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Investment guidance, proper ways to spend money on YJ

I wanna spend money accordingly on my yj. I have another thread going about springs. I've made my conclusions on that.

My list

2" BDS springs all 4 corners
New U Bolts
Bushings
8.8 from local PP

Now PLEASE help me with this. I'm going with a SYE, boomerang shackles.

What do I need to get as in SYE and shackles?

Is there a 8.8 swap kit available? Perches etc........

I'm still learning on the jeeps. I wanna build this yj to be a fun toy and DD. I'm askin for help from all you seasoned jeepers please.

Thanks
Brandon

vdubbles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you're only lifting 2", do you really "need" an SYE? With a 2" lift, you may very well end up with no vibrations. Even if you did, they'd probably be solved by a mild TC drop (if you're OK with a TC drop). If you were putting on 4"+ of spring lift or going SOA, I'd agree with you, but with only 2" of lift I'd wait to see whether you have a problem before trying to fix it.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Search around about 2" springs, maybe I'm thinking of OME, but I think they have regular 2" springs and Heavy Duty 2" springs. HD springs may give closer to 4", so search around just to CYA.

As far as SYE, if this isnt a DD you can try it out without one first, just make sure you dont get crazy shackles because that counts towards lift needing an SYE. some 5/8 shackles from Crown would probably be good and they're like 55-60$ shipped and thats all four corners, bushings and greasable bolts.

8.8 kit, I cant say, but give your shocks some thoughts when you look at brackets, if you raise them you may also limit travel, some people have even used Dana 30 spring plates and the swaybar part as the shock mount.

All just food for thought! enjoy!
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I left out.

I currently have SOA on 35-12.50-15

Stock springs are pretty much flat!
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

SYE Rugged Ridge $173.95

MORE 5/8 lift boomerang shackles
MORE 8.8 axle swap kit
MORE Driveshaft flange adapter

I've found this so far

I chose BDS springs because of reviews and warranty. 2" lift with SOA should set me rather nice
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That makes more sense... If you're already that big, have you thought about stock Wagoneer springs? You'll get 2"-2 1/2" of lift, plus you could get a little bit of stretch as well.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

that's going to be a giant. What are your gears and how soon are you going to 37's?

If already SOA, I'd personally look more into tummy tuck than lift springs, and definately not more than 5/8" shackles.
Waggy springs probably not a bad idea.
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It had 37s on it when I drive it home. Ditched them for 35s.

Wouldn't wagoner springs stretch and cause a lot if issues? I have a hard time finding jeep parts around here. So it's just as easy to go with lift springs. Ya really think 2" springs on SOA will make a monster?

If D35 last till fall I'm goin 8.8 stock piling parts now.

I'm sorry to be so petty. I just wanna do it all RIGHT AND SAFLEY the first time. I have my kiddos that love the jeep.

Day I got it with 37-14.50

This last Saturday
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wagoneer springs don't stretch it much (approximately 2"-3" total). It's enough to help with stability (on and off road), yet doesn't require steering modification (other than maybe some adjustment). With a D35 in the rear, you're fine on clearance, with an 8.8, you can "adjust" your fuel tank skid either by bending it, or cut out a bit and weld in some metal to create a recess, then use a heat gun on the plastic tank and form it to the skid.

Unless you really know what you're looking at, the stretch is undetectable, but it helps road manners as well as climbing.
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I didn't think you're being petty at all. We're all here to pick up information and give it when we can.
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Both of those pics look good. Stock Yj springs are pretty much flat to begin with. the monster part is just my personal opinion, it might work out ok, but 2" is still a lot of extra lift, remember you're also adding 5/8" shackles. I rarely hear about people addint lift springs that get LESS than the advertised amount. so that 2" could be 2.5 or 3" and then 5/8" on top of that. Shackles are easy enough to obtain and probably wont be part of the same shipment/purchase as the springs. so maybe get the shackles and try them out and see what you think?

Is there rear wheel well cutting planned?
I dont know jack about the strech springs implementation, just that they're nice up front for approach angles and getting the front tire to hit before a bumper.
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Plans are...........

Comp cut

home brew.
Flat fenders front and rear
Light bar
Hood hoop
Rock sliders
Swing out tire carrier
Roof rack "for fishing gear"

As for my gears I think there stock now. Was gonna change after rear axle swap.

You see shackles posted in pic, I think I'm gonna try booms first before springs. Guy on here has 5/8 booms and 2" BDS springs. On 35s.

Looks great

Check out my thread on springs, what led me to my decision.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...rings-1504858/
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
vdubbles24
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've owned this jeep since 2-1-2013 my first jeep ever!
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

PM BERSK here on the boards about shackles. He makes them from 0" lift to 1.5" lift. His prices are amazing. And his shipping is fast and reliable. That's where I got mine. It will save you a lot of money over the MORE shackles.

2" springs will make that thing retarded huge. Unless you're stretching it and going to full size axles, I think that would be too much. SOA already gives you 5-6" of lift, so adding another 2" you would be at 7-8" which is a butt ton.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
PM BERSK here on the boards about shackles. He makes them from 0" lift to 1.5" lift. His prices are amazing. And his shipping is fast and reliable. That's where I got mine. It will save you a lot of money over the MORE shackles.

2" springs will make that thing retarded huge. Unless you're stretching it and going to full size axles, I think that would be too much. SOA already gives you 5-6" of lift, so adding another 2" you would be at 7-8" which is a butt ton.

Cheers
Eddie definitely has a good deal and you can't beat it with a bat wrapped in barbed wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.