introducing myself - and some questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > introducing myself - and some questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-11-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
BrianK

introducing myself - and some questions

hey all- im a 24yr old from upstate NY. i dont have a jeep yet, but in the near future i hope to purchase a mid 90's wrangler. i hope to get a lot of useful info from you guys. first i need to know what to look for and what not to in a used jeep (cant afford new at this point) any and all help is appreciated guys. this may be a dumb question to some of you, but were all hard top wranglers designed to be able to be removed? which motor is more reliable? the I4 r the I6? it will be mostly used as a daily driver with some light off-roading, nothing too serious (yet)
thanks again all

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
SethNCSU

look for a 91 or newer I6 (4.0L). all hardtops are removable.
SethNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:06 PM   #3
flashJP

my 2 cents-
ive got a 2.5 '89 YJ, and i couldnt be happier with it. I'm approaching 115K miles and the engine starts up every time and feels solid and idles smoothly.
Hardtops are cool, pretty quiet and will prob hold heat in better in the winter, upstate NY can get cold, i know.
Of course this is just 1 model, 1 engine, but for a 13 year old jeep, its still got power and looks great.
goodluck finding your jeep
15x7 OutLaw II
NEW: distributor cap,rotor,spark plugs,wires,fuel filter,ccv&pcv, steelhorse console...
flashJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2002, 12:13 AM   #4
Bob J

I had a 95 YJ w/ the 2.5l - it's what made me love Jeeps so much

You will apprciate the hard top once october/november come around however if you can, get one with dual tops because don't forget about our hot summers I once left my hard top on til June and I had to pull over for a pit stop because I was about to pass out from the heat. I'd say the most reliable engine would be the 2.5l, mine took alot of abuse, and I see alot of people saying they have well over 100k on them.

When you go to look for it, make sure 4wd works, check it out, make sure it doesn't make any LOUD noises when engaging/disengaging, it will make some but only a little pop/click noise. Check the springs for any cracked leafs. Also look on the skid plates, if you see alot of scratches it's been dragged alot. And check out to make sure the vent system still works, keep in mind if it doesn't its no big deal, cables for both levers will only run you $60 but if it doesn't work, it would make for a good barganing lever to lower the price

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:57 AM   #5
rlasker3

I have a '93 2.5L and I love it!!

The only problem that I've run into is that the Catalytic converter has needed to be replaced twice. Once on recall and again about a year later. The second time I think was because of a bad muffler caused by the first recalled converter. I also had to replace the starter but I actually enjoyed replacing it myself which is a big plus. Jeeps are easy to work on.

The 4.0 is a gas hog and the 2.5 does fine unless you have large hills to climb. If you expect to be in hilly areas and expect to pull a lot of stuff then the 4.0 will be worth it.

A Hard Top is a must if you live in an area where it gets really cold. I don't have one and haven't suffered for it but I live in VA, which never gets really cold. Just remember that you need to find a place to store your hard top in the summer.

Once you get your Jeep subscribe to the 4WD Hardware mag. It is totally devoted to Jeeps and will make you drool.
<a href="http://www.4wd.com" target="_blank">http://www.4wd.com</a>
rlasker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2002, 09:49 AM   #6
Drunc

I've got the old I6 4.2L and she stills runs great, even with just over 200K....
Jeep: '88 YJ Laredo I6, Kenwood Deck, Amp and 6x9's, 10" pioneer sub, 2.5" Skyjacker Kit with a 1" body and new front shackles, 32" Mud Kings on 8" Desert Crawlers, CJ style replacement mirrors, ditched the trackbars and the endcaps
Drunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2002, 10:02 AM   #7
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Are all the people in here 2.5 owners?? oh well the 4.0is very good too, it may suck gas but it can handle alot higher speeds better on the highway. My brother has one in his cherokee too and its the only strong thing on that car after 120k. I plan on taking mine well past that. As for the hard top make sure you get ac or have a good place to store the hard top in the summer because theres nothign like having a jeep in the summer.

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2002, 11:16 AM   #8
4wheeler4CJ

The 4.0 sucks no more gas than the 2.5, because it works much less. Go with the 4.0L or you'll kick yourself later. If you're using it as a daily driver, you'll be much better off, better passing power, better towing, better hills, better everything.

I'm not knocking you 2.5 owners, but the 4.0 also has a better longevity record. I have seen many 2.5's dead after 100,000, but 4.0's are never dead anywhere near as low miles as that, unless something is grossly wrong due to poor maintenance or nasty abuse. Most go well past 200,000 with proper maintenance.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2002, 11:17 AM   #9
4wheeler4CJ

By the way, WELCOME!
Unread 04-12-2002, 04:23 PM   #10
BrianK

thanks for the info guys- i will prolly go with the 4.0 for towing power, so i can tow the jetski to and from the lake.. hopefully i will be in a wrangler sport by the end of july at the latest. what is the towing capacity for a 4.0? two jetskis on a fairly light trailer are ok right?
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2002, 10:09 PM   #11
Mr. Mopar

I towed a car trailer with a 68 firebird about 70 miles once. it was way to much for the jeep i know. first gear was tough but once i got her moving it drove fine. dearched my springs big time. 2 seadoos on a trailer no problem
Unread 04-13-2002, 10:10 PM   #12
Mr. Mopar

that was with a stock 4.0L
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:25 PM   #13
4wheeler4CJ

You are limited with towing capacity on the manual trannies (3500#). With the 4-Spd. Auto, you can tow 5000#. I have done it in my XJ with no problem.
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:32 PM   #14
cjud4x4

Pulled a snowmobile trailer with two larger sleds on the trailer. Was still able to maintain 65 mph.
First gear was pretty useless, but other than that there was no problems.

"Get to Jeepin, or get out"
cjud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2002, 10:37 AM   #15
clarky711
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Brian,

I have owned three jeeps, all with the 6 cyl. in them. It is the only way to go. Also, you should definitely get a hard top with the full steel doors for the winter time. I am also from upstate NY, and if you ever want to go 4 wheelin, let me know. There aren't too many people up here that go out, not like out west anyway, so I would be glad to help you out. Good luck.

Mike

Previously: 01 TJ on 32s, 94 YJ on 33s, 89 xj on 31s, 97 TJ on 31s, 79 CJ5 on 31s.

http://www.AdirondackJeeps.com
clarky711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.