Internal vs. External Clutch Slave - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Internal vs. External Clutch Slave

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-30-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Internal vs. External Clutch Slave

From what I hear, the external clutch slave is much less labor intensive to replace when (not IF from what I hear) it goes.

My question is other than the difficulty of replacing the slave, is there any difference between the reliability between internal and external?? Does one fail more ofter than the other?

I can probably get a smokin' deal on a beat '91 XJ with 4.0L HO, AX-15, and NP-231 to use at least for its trans/t-case to replace my BA-10/5 / NP-207... Would it be possible to pick up anything from a j-yard to convert this '91 AX-15 to the later '94+ external slave??

Thanks for any input.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
From what I hear, the external clutch slave is much less labor intensive to replace when (not IF from what I hear) it goes.

My question is other than the difficulty of replacing the slave, is there any difference between the reliability between internal and external?? Does one fail more ofter than the other?

I can probably get a smokin' deal on a beat '91 XJ with 4.0L HO, AX-15, and NP-231 to use at least for its trans/t-case to replace my BA-10/5 / NP-207... Would it be possible to pick up anything from a j-yard to convert this '91 AX-15 to the later '94+ external slave??

Thanks for any input.
as far as reliabilty, I don't think one is better then the other. only thing is, if the new slave is bad when you put it in there, the tranny needs to come back off again. not too bad really, just HIGHLY annoying. No doubt the external is the better way to go. I have heard of people doing a conversion on the older trannys to allow for an external slave, but I don't know the specs off hand myself. you might search Pirate for it, I'm pretty sure that's where I read about it. If i remember right, you need the fork from an external model, the new slave and you may have needed to fab your own support for something. I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be more specific.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
GreenReaper93

I tried to do the conversion with my '93 YJ. My only reason for failure is that I couldn't find all the parts in time. You'll need the bellhousing from a '94+ AX-15, the throwout bearing, the pivot cup, the throwout fork, return spring, and the external slave from what I remember. There's no real need to fab a support for the External Slave (unless you want to try and beef it up for an extreme case - can't see how, but anything's possible). External is much better. Parts can be hard to find at times for the swap, but if you have a line on parts I'd do it! Good Luck!
GreenReaper93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.