Internal tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Internal tire carrier

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Internal tire carrier

I had decided some time ago, that I didn’t like the look of my spare tire hanging off of my YJ tailgate. Because of the weight it wrecked the original hinges and they had to be replaced. I could buy or build a swing away tire carrier. But, that leaves the tire basically where it is now. Hanging off of the back of my YJ. I have been thinking about this for some time now. One day I had this crazy thought about putting it inside the YJ.
My first thought was a side mount above the wheel well. But, when running topless it would stick out like a big spare tire, wouldn’t it? Then I thought wait a minute, my YJ, probably like yours, has a fold and tumble rear seat that has never been unfolded or un-tumbled as far as I can tell. It is a musty moldy piece of upholstery that takes up about the nearly the same amount of space my spare tire uses. I also decided to incorporate the stock spare tire holder also. Then I decided to use the threaded inserts to anchor this tire holder down since they are already there aren’t they? I run a stock height
28” tire but decided that I should build this carrier to accommodate a 31” tire.
Next decision was what to build this carrier out of. My first feelings were
1 ˝” or 2” square tubing would be good. I didn’t price out the actual cost of this stock. I just assumed it was going to be expensive. You know what they say about assuming anything don’t you?
So I started scanning Craigslist for materials. One day some ‘material’ showed up on CL for sale. You'll never guess where this guy got this stock from, and I mean never. BUT, I give you a hint in my first picture. Got two lengths for $20.00….I needed every inch I bought, the way it worked out. The odd shape of the stock I bought was a pain in the neck to make any angle cuts. So I made a 'few' (a dozen)bad cuts. The stuff is “L” shaped so when flipping it, etc, you have to keep the orientation correct or it won’t match up with the adjoining piece. And I found it impossible to cut this stuff accurately with my 4 ˝” angle grinder….so that meant buying a chop saw. See where this is going cost-wise?…..no you don’t… not just yet my friends.
So I start pricing out chop saws. Lowes had a DeWALT 14” unit for $200.00. That was a bit steep for me so I looked around and Bam! My local HF had a $149.00 chop saw ‘on sale’ for $99.99. So I go to HF, scoop one of those suckers up, bring it home and proceed to cut my first piece of stock. The cheapy Chinese blade was glazed before I finished the second cut. I could have hit it with my grinder wheel dresser but it was off to Lowes for a good blade instead. I bought a DeWALT blade and 8 cuts later the HF chop saw dies. I swear I did not lay on this saw at all. It just went belly up. Must have been made on Chinese New Years Day by some hung over Chinese child. Now I am madder ‘n hell with myself! I have to box up this POS chop saw and bring it back to HF……..and go to Lowes to buy the DeWALT chop saw I thought was too expensive in the first place! Annnnnd if I bought the square tubing in the first place I could have made all my cuts with my 4 1/2'”angle grinder! Live and learn, but I do gots me a fine chop saw now don’t I!?
The pictures tell the rest of the story I guess. The final fit gives me about
21” of space between the face of the spare tire and the tailgate.

Forgot to post this picture....

These measurements are approximate.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)

Last edited by laybackman; 05-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: FORGOT A PICTURE!!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its cool but I don't know why you would want it there. Considerings its stock leave it on back if you want it inside put it on rollbar that loooks cool
crazyquadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, very unique and still leaves you decent space in the back for storing junk. I kinda like it in a crazy home made kind of way.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquadder View Post
Its cool but I don't know why you would want it there. Considerings its stock leave it on back if you want it inside put it on rollbar that loooks cool
I didn't want it on the tailgate or in front of the tail gate! I wanted the tailgate to be flush for a future project I have in mind
Not up on the wheel well. I didn't like the look when the soft top was off, other than that it was doable there. And on top of the roll bar was no good. If placed there, neither of my tops could be used. Hung from under the roll bar I considered but that was not good IMHO either. I felt it was good there because it took up virtually no more space than an item that was never used, and it is still easy to get it if necessary.

Where on the roll bar were you thinking?

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good to me. I am planning to use those mounting points where the back seat was to bolt down a tool box. Found one at Tractor Supply that will fit nicely. Plus my 33" tire will be a squeeze.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Looks good to me. I am planning to use those mounting points where the back seat was to bolt down a tool box. Found one at Tractor Supply that will fit nicely. Plus my 33" tire will be a squeeze.
That is also good use of what many consider wasted space. This YJ is not a daily driver. It is a 'garage queen', so it is used usually when I want to throw the dog in back and take the wife for a blast around the countryside every once in a while.

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well i likethe way the rock crawlers do it and mount it between the 2 bars in the back. It would fit fine with any top unless you have family style
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyquadder View Post
well i likethe way the rock crawlers do it and mount it between the 2 bars in the back. It would fit fine with any top unless you have family style
I do with a '95YJ and I didn't want to mod the roll bar.

Unread 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think it looks pretty good. Although you might of thought of future mods like mayby going bigger tires and having the rack be good to go for all tire sizes. I am just saying this for anyone that wants to copy you.

Personally I need all the room back there that I have. Between two dogs it can get a little cramped and also down in SouthWest Florida it gets hot as hell and I need the AC to flow to the back for the dogs.

All in all very nice work. Thanks for the write up.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
crazyquadder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A/c way to just rub it in
Unread 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I think it looks pretty good. Although you might of thought of future mods like mayby going bigger tires and having the rack be good to go for all tire sizes. I am just saying this for anyone that wants to copy you.

Personally I need all the room back there that I have. Between two dogs it can get a little cramped and also down in SouthWest Florida it gets hot as hell and I need the AC to flow to the back for the dogs.

All in all very nice work. Thanks for the write up.
It will hold a 31" tire now and you could build it taller if one wanted to. I felt I would not go bigger than a 31" tire myself. This would definitely not be a good mod since you have two dogs and need to use your AC in your cimate. I have a Portguese Podengo Medio. He is full grown and is ~35lbs. He fits well back there and you can still get a few bags of groceries back there up on the wheel wells when necessary.

Unread 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very cool man! Very unique project and looks like it will hold up great. I like the tire cover on there, looks great.
Unread 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
Peltboy25
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This is a perfect example of Jeeper ingenuity. While I am scratching my head at your displeasure with a tailgate mounted spare, it's your Jeep, man! And I like the way you solved the problem.
Unread 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peltboy25 View Post
This is a perfect example of Jeeper ingenuity. While I am scratching my head at your displeasure with a tailgate mounted spare, it's your Jeep, man! And I like the way you solved the problem.
I decided that I really like the old school look where the tailgate is pretty much a flat panel.
My next project is going to be moving my gas fill location to where the TJ gas filler is. Then I will block that hole off. Then I will be relocating my licnese plate to the tailgate. I think I am going to do a custom insert for the plate also. I will probably do another write up on that project also.

Mods in general are an individual thing. Some will like what you do and others will not, but that is OK with me. I figure sharing what we all do is great for others.

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Sorry, but I'm not digging it.

I would not want a tire that close to me in the cab. It totally blocks any access you might have in between the seats reaching back for stuff, you have to smell the rubber from the tire, it obstructs the view IMO and it takes up too much space the way you built it.

I personally would have just left it on the gate or built a swing away carrier. If you must have it inside the cab, either mount it sideways towards the back on the driver's side or lay it down on the cab floor if you don't want to mess with the roll bar.

It's your rig and as long as you like it that's all that matters, but I would never put my spare there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.