JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Internal Slave Cylinder Quick Disconnect (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/internal-slave-cylinder-quick-disconnect-756337/)

Cruisers 04-18-2009 09:51 PM

Internal Slave Cylinder Quick Disconnect

I bought the clutch master cylinder adapter and steel braided line from Advance Adapters. Underneath at the slave cylinder, I have taken off the quick disconnect from the metal line coming off the slave cylinder. It is a male end. The new steel braided line is a male end. I used an inverted flare line coupler to connect them, bypassing the quick disconnect althogether. Luckily, the bleeder screw worked and I successfully bled the lines. After about a three mile drive and some shifts, it appears that so far I have no leaks and my clutch works fine.
QUESTIONS: Is this a long term solution? Am I going to blow out my internal slave cylinder? What was the purpose of the quick disconnect? What am I missing here, if anything?

Opihi59 04-18-2009 11:17 PM

The quick disconnect was the technique utilized to connect the line from the master to the slave cyl. I had my pop loose on me a few times, completely lost faith in it and the internal slave so I converted to external slave.

If your fab doesn't fail or leak, it sounds like a permanent enough solution.

Regarding the blow out question for the internal slave cylinder--I seem to understand you have replaced your clutch master cyl (?). The general finding on replacing one component of the clutch hydraulics is that likely the other component will soon fail. If you are running a new clutch master, I would be willing to bet your clutch slave cyl will be soon to take a dump.

It is a simple enough process to replace your internal slave with an external slave. You just gotta round up parts first, and of course it is the opportunity to put in a new clutch as part of the process. Planny writeups on here if you choose to do this. I did it on my 93 and I'm real happy I did.

Cruisers 04-19-2009 09:46 AM

Good Advice

That's good advice about changing out the slave cylinder, and doing the clutch while I'm in there. I've looked at the sticky on this and it looks like a project in my very near future.

In the meantime, I'm still wondering what the purpose of the quick disconnect is other than just functioning as a quick disconnect? Why is it designed as it is? I can find no info on this part. Anyone have any ideas?

Burnerman 04-19-2009 11:51 AM

I dunno about why they used it but... How much was that kit from Advance Adapters? Why just had to deal with that quick connect in my sons YJ and it looks like it's weeping. It's the plastic line and I've heard it's dealer only and around $75. We just did the clutch and slave so the external is out for now. Just wondering what's the cheapest way to fix it.

Cruisers 04-19-2009 05:58 PM

Advance Adapters Solution

I had read your previous posts. I don't understand why Advance Adapters made their steel line hose with the adapter that they did. I will call them Monday. But why leave us with two male ends to put together and not even suggest an inverted flare coupling? Even better, why not design the proper end to go into the quick disconnect? It doesn't look like it would be that hard for a design shop such as theirs. I mean after all, they designed an adapter for the other end, the clutch master cylinder end!

I KNOW I need to drop the tranny and replace the internal slave cylinder with an external one, and I will do that, but in the meantime I'd like to drive my Jeep. I just don't want to damage it in some way (or leave myself stranded) by using this flare coupling/ bypassing that quick disconnect if it performs some vital function, such as regulating the fluid pressure or something like that.

Also, if your setup is weeping I'll bet that mine will start that too once I start four wheeling. What a hassle, and it all started when I cur that stupid plastic line off the barbed fitting on the old clutch master cylinder. I was STUPID for not reading all the advice on JeepForum FIRST!

So, I paid for a subscription here. I know it will pay for itself in the advice I get.

By the way, I have $77 paid to Advance Adapters, including shipping to Indiana. Then I have $3.47 in an inverted flare coupling plus gas to drive the 47 mile round trip to the only place open that had one on a Saturday afternoon in rural Indiana.

Sigh.

Burnerman 04-19-2009 06:03 PM

Ok.. I guess I'll stop by the dealer and see what their real price is for the stock replacement. In hindsight I guess we shoulda done more research and swapped to and external slave... Oh Well.. live and learn...

wendell 04-20-2009 07:10 AM

Bernerman, I've seen your jeep on many post and it allways catches my eye. You have a very sharp YJ!!!!!

Burnerman 04-23-2009 05:14 PM

Thanks Wendell. I took my sons ZJ to the dealer to get 2 free rotors, a new free cat, an ECM flash and a new shifter lockout. Open recalls are pretty cool. Anyway I asked the parts guy how much the clutch line from the master to slave was... $180!!!!:eyebulge: This is just the plastic line with that stupid quick disconnect on the end. He said he could make me a deal and sell it for $160.. That's nuts. If Burnerboy's leaks we're gonna be fabbing stuff up.

davebl260 08-27-2013 11:09 AM

Slave quick disconnect

My question is, how did you get the quick disconnect off of the new slave cylinder?

I'm having a similar problem right now w/ the new slave on my 1991 wrangler. The new slave from Advance Auto has the quick disconnect that does not connect w/ the existing hose from the master cyl. No one at AA seems to know why the new slave is not compatible w/ existing hose and if there is an adapter. Very frustrating because the new clutch and slave are already installed and everything put back together except connecting the existing hose to the new slave. help!!!

davebl260 08-27-2013 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to mention about removing the quick disconnect from new slave - I've tried using a line wrench but even with that I can't get it loose. Put so much pressure on it that the line from the slave started to bend so I stopped in fear that I would break it and have to start the whole job over again.

This picture shows the new slave lines next to the existing hose.

Luuca 08-27-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebl260 (Post 15841642)
Forgot to mention about removing the quick disconnect from new slave - I've tried using a line wrench but even with that I can't get it loose. Put so much pressure on it that the line from the slave started to bend so I stopped in fear that I would break it and have to start the whole job over again.

This picture shows the new slave lines next to the existing hose.

My 91 leaked from that "quick disconnect" thingy after I put in a new clutch, master and slave. I ended up having Hose-Man make me a steel braided hydraulic line that replaced the existing stock line on the jeep. Over 2.5 years ago.. no issues. I found that I could not remove that "Quick Disco" from the stock line.

Not much help, but there was my solution. Hose cost me $90 with the rush order. I took them the stock line so that they could see the length and the connectors at both ends.

Best of luck.

davebl260 08-30-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luuca (Post 15842807)
My 91 leaked from that "quick disconnect" thingy after I put in a new clutch, master and slave. I ended up having Hose-Man make me a steel braided hydraulic line that replaced the existing stock line on the jeep. Over 2.5 years ago.. no issues. I found that I could not remove that "Quick Disco" from the stock line.

Not much help, but there was my solution. Hose cost me $90 with the rush order. I took them the stock line so that they could see the length and the connectors at both ends.

Best of luck.

So the existing hose you see in my photo, is that what you had on yours? Getting mixed feedback from the forum but trying to determine if that existing hose is OEM to the '91 wrangler. If so then Advance needs to explain why they are selling a replacement slave that doesn't work without additional modifications.

Luuca 08-30-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebl260

So the existing hose you see in my photo, is that what you had on yours? Getting mixed feedback from the forum but trying to determine if that existing hose is OEM to the '91 wrangler. If so then Advance needs to explain why they are selling a replacement slave that doesn't work without additional modifications.

To be clear:

My hydraulic line from the master clutch reservoir was some sort of plastic molded line with a large quick disconnect thing at the end of it.

My throw out bearings both the old and new one I got from autozone did not have any quick disconnect on it.

Because my line was plastic, I didn't want to put too much force on it trying to remove the leaking quick disconnect section of the line.

I had a hose made to replace the line. The throw out bearing was correct.

In another thread, a member posted that you can remove the quick disconnect off the slave cyld side with "two wrenches".

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

The time now is 03:02 AM.