Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Internal Slave Cylinder Question

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  leecotrell 
#1 ·
hey guys..quick question..just did the slave cylinder deed on my 88 yj 2.5..
quick question..on the slave its self, it comes compressed with @ plastic keeper straps. Now i installed it without popping those off..i figured that as the clutch builds pressure it would pop those keepers itself and begin to function...Is this correct??

And if this is correct, my dad and i i are having a hell of a time bleeding this thing..in fact we cant get any pedal pressure built at all. that is why i was thinking maybe i shoulda poppped those keepers before we put the bell housing back on..Just didnt make sense. figured those keepers were there for a reason..

any help is appreciated..Thank you..and if i did it right this thing is a real biitch to bleed

#2 ·
You did the right thing by leaving the straps on the slave cyl.
Normally you fill the system and bleed it. The the first time you pump the clutch with the bleeder closed it builds up pressure and pops the two straps.
Just top off the master as required after that.

Make sure your pressure bleed the system (having someone pump the clutch as you open and close the bleeder).
Gravity bleeding never seems to get all the air out.

Sounds like you still have air in the system or possibly the master died.
I've had a number of master fail once a nice new slave was installed.

#3 ·
No the plastic "keepers" stay on. I prefilled the slave on my son's and then we bled it after the tranny install. You just crack the bleeder and push down the clutch pedal slow and close the bleeder before you bottom the pedal/ You can get 2 strokes of the clutch before you have to refill the master. Once you get all fluid and no bubbles the slave will extend and pop the plastic clips off. If you remove the clips before bleeding the slave will hyperextend and ruin the seals....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.