Internal Slave Cylinder blew up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Internal Slave Cylinder blew up?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Internal Slave Cylinder blew up? Time to change the clutch! (2.5)

Driving to the lake on Sunday led to this:

From what I understand, the Internal Slave Cylinder (forever known as the ISC from now on) just expelled all fluid, leaving my clutch soaked, and the pedal on the floor.

I haven't pulled the trans, but that is what I've hypothesized due to fluid dripping out of the bell housing, and it not being in the reservoir.

From what I've searched on about the ISC through this forum, the fastest way to alleviate the problem is to either burn the Jeep to the ground, or sell it and buy a newer model with an external slave cylinder.

That being said, if I don't choose to go either of those routes, I'll need a new clutch (kit) and ISC.

(Clutch kit from RockAuto.com)
Quote:
EXEDY Part # 01033
Includes Slave Cylinder; Disc mm 225; Disc in 8-7/8; Splines Dia 15/16; Splines 14; Islander; S Model; Sahara; Base Model
It's $160, a good brand that hasn't failed me in the past. Those replacements were on Hondas and Nissans, and cars to boot. I don't know how it will hold up to the POWER of the 2.5 liter engine.

Anything else I'm going to need? I know I'll need to either get my flywheel resurfaced or replaced, and new trans fluid, transfer case fluid, clutch fluid, and a whole lot of degreaser.

Should I change out the rear main seal while I'm in there? I'd hate to have to pull out this trans more than once.

Any tips, tricks, or donations are always handy.

caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

No they are real good from the factory my original went 120K until I swapped up to an external mod with parts from a 94. Yeah they are a PIA and they are also touchy when you take it apart you will see the hokey setup with O-rings and a clip for the input line. Get a trans jack from harbor freight makes it a lot easier it was only $75 and I use it all the time. I am too old to be bench pressing trannys anymore.
trans-jack.jpg  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I was thinking about the transmission jack...I might as well pick one up.
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here we go.

Transmission jack has been purchased.

Ordered a clutch kit, master and slave cylinder, and flywheel, $215 shipped from Rock Auto. Gotta love that site!

It's probably best I change all these parts out for new ones, I don't want to have to drop the transmission a second time, I don't know how old any of the parts are.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there?
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

as your changing the flywheel I think you pretty much have all the parts covered. I'm about to do the same job on my 87 4.2, my slave went out today. I also ordered from rock auto.
one trick I learned the last time it went out, just start it in gear, drove mine home about 10 miles, a little tricky shifting without the clutch but it can be done.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Why not covert to 95 external slave? New bell housing and MC and no more internal crap.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

I had the misfortune to get two bad ones .The third one that is in it now has held up nicely. Had to put one of them in after getting back from the middle East with a hand injury made it that much more fun doing it with the use of one hand.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy View Post
I had the misfortune to get two bad ones .The third one that is in it now has held up nicely. Had to put one of them in after getting back from the middle East with a hand injury made it that much more fun doing it with the use of one hand.
Well that sucks! I hope I don't run into that same issue...any idea why they were bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Why not covert to 95 external slave? New bell housing and MC and no more internal crap.
My reason being is that while I can take my time to get this back on the road, I don't really want to spend a time searching for a bunch of stuff to convert the AX5 to an external slave setup.

Had I an AX15, and a 4.0, that'd be a different story. I will be looking into the 4.0/AX15 swap in the (near?) future...
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
as your changing the flywheel I think you pretty much have all the parts covered. I'm about to do the same job on my 87 4.2, my slave went out today. I also ordered from rock auto.
one trick I learned the last time it went out, just start it in gear, drove mine home about 10 miles, a little tricky shifting without the clutch but it can be done.
I didn't want to chance it driving 15 miles home, the AX5 is supposedly weak, and I'd rather not blow that out too. Although I'd have an excuse for an upgrade!
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy

I didn't want to chance it driving 15 miles home, the AX5 is supposedly weak, and I'd rather not blow that out too. Although I'd have an excuse for an upgrade!
I drove my Yj from Md to Tennessee with no slave cylinder (line blew ) it had a ax5 and I was towing a trailer match your revs per gear and it'll slip right in gear.

I find myself shifting a bunch in my 89 with ba10 with out the clutch quite often also. I guess I've been driving a Stick way too long and know my vehicles sweet spots
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

All the purchased parts have arrived!
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission is out, clutch is out, flywheel is out. I took a bunch of pictures, I'm hoping they'll be enough for a halfway decent write-up. I'm having an issue with the master cylinder, but I may pull that with the line attached and pop the roll pin out on the bench.

I officially hate the JEEP assembly line of Canada, I'd appreciate if they put change out either the metric, or standard, bolts so that they may ALL BE THE SAME STANDARD OF MEASUREMENT!!

It's break time and pizza is hitting the spot.

I'm also looking for info on how to put in the new pilot bearing. I noticed it's in the old flywheel, but mine isn't already installed.
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pilot bearing no problem mine went in easy. A little light oil on the flywheel
Put it in best you can by hand and then tap in
If needed use a socket same size and finish

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
caoboy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Pilot bearing no problem mine went in easy. A little light oil on the flywheel
Put it in best you can by hand and then tap in
If needed use a socket same size and finish
Thanks!

Again, thanks for the advice on the transmission jack, probably the best investment for this swap, it was nice being able to just adjust the transmission up and down to get the top bolts out...(which are a total PITA!)
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

for the pilot bearing find a socket that is slightly smaller diameter than the bearing and drive it in. just did mine today only on the 6 cyl its in the crank not the flywheel so I had to remove the old one first. packed it full of grease and used a bolt that fit tight and hit it and it popped out, thanks for the tip jeep forum.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.