Internal/External Slave swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Internal/External Slave swap

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Internal/External Slave swap

I'm working on swapping in a new tranny. My current one had an external slave, recently replaced, and I'm curious if its possible to adapt an external setup to n older tranny. I cant visualize where the slave connects to the tranny? If it's part of the bellhousing, can I just use the older setup?

TIA

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

btt. I found a cheap AX5, which might oersuade me to scrap the AX15 swap for one more round. I want my Jeep up, cheap, and this might work. However, the one I found is an internal(91). I have the bellhousing, master/slave assembly and such from my current tranny. I believe I need to swap in the front bearing retainer. Right? Can I use the one from ym blown AX5? Anything else I would need to swap in the internal as an external?

TIA

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Unread 05-03-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
lostboy

AX5 will not bolt to the 4.0 motor and the AX15 will not bolt up to the 2.5.
You can use an older ax15 with your bellhousing if that's what you have already.
The external slave on the ax15 bolts to the bellhousing.

Not sure about the ax5 setup.
Unread 05-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was planning on swapping the AX15 behind the 2.5 using a write-up on pirate. However, I found an AX5 for real cheap so am going to give it one more try. Just need to know how to convert an early AX5 to an external slave. I think it just requires bolting up the front bearing retainer from my old one. Just need some confirmation.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Unread 05-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Road Head

Yes, simply replace the input bearing retainer on the earlier AX5 with the one off of your tranny, and then use the external slave bellhousing, throwout bearing, fork, master and slave. One thing that I think you will need to do is replace the pilot bearing to match the tranny that you bought. AX5 input shafts differ from internal to external slave, so you should just have to get the pilot bearing to match the tranny.

On my 92 YJ, i bought a busted 97 tranny for the input bearing retainer and the bellhousing. I replaced my input bearing retainer with the later model, and bolted on the bellhousing, then put on the external throwout bearing and fork assembly. I did not have to change the pilot bearing because I kept the same tranny.
Unread 05-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awsome info. Do you know offhand if the OD of the bearings are the same throughout the years? I should e abel to buy a stock pilot fromt he earlier tranny's, right? Also, I'm assuming the swap of the bearing retainer is as traightforward as it sounds?

Thanx again

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Unread 05-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Road Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
Awsome info. Do you know offhand if the OD of the bearings are the same throughout the years? I should e abel to buy a stock pilot fromt he earlier tranny's, right? Also, I'm assuming the swap of the bearing retainer is as traightforward as it sounds?

Thanx again
I am not sure of the OD, but I think they should be the same. You may want to try to confirm that elsewhere though. And yes, the swap of the bearing retainer is very simple. Unbolt both of them, clean the surfaces, use gasket maker to make a seal, and put the external retainer on the working tranny.
Unread 05-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Mr. Notorious

what's involved from changing an internal AX15 to an external AX15? They're both from the same motor, should the external bolt right in? Would it be cheaper to just get the belhousing from a 94-95 AX15 and rebuild my Ax15?? My syncro's are in rough shape so I'm trying to plan for the future... TIA

1967 FJ, linked, 350 chevy, 35's, arbs, blah blah...
2002 TJ

"If you're not moving ahead, you're falling behind"
Mr. Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
Road Head

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=535317 A write up I did on JU
Unread 05-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
Road Head

BTW, I have an external slave cylinder AX-15 bellhousing sitting in my attic. I bought it, then found an entire busted tranny w/ bellhousing. If anybody needs it, I will sell it for $50 plus shipping (thats what I paid for it).
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just read your JU post and it sparked a new question. Do I have to get the clutch and pressure plate for the older tranny(will be a 91), or are they all the same. Also, would the throwout be universal or would all components have to be for the 91 and not the 95(the blown one)?

THanx again.
I hate to ask so many questions that could probably be figured out, but the rig is 3 hours away. I can't see any of the parts I'm talking about until D-Day,and I'd like to complete it in one weekend/trip and not have to drive back there for round 2.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Unread 05-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #12
Road Head

I used the clutch/pressure plate from the 95.

This may help clarify things:

The input bearing retainer on the external slave cylinder style transmissions has a "nose" upon which the throwout bearing and fork ride on. This should be the same parts (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, fork, pivot ball, spring clip) for 94-00 and maybe even for the NV3500 (the newer 5 speed from 00-04). The input bearing retainer on the internal slave cylinder style tranny does not have the "nose". The throwout bearing and integrated fork are actually clipped to the input bearing retainer.

In your situation, you will need to use all your original components (input bearing retainer, bellhousing. clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, fork, spring clip, pivot ball) from the 95, and the tranny and pilot bearing from the 91. So the ONLY parts you should need would be the 91 tranny and a new pilot bearing. However, depending on how many miles your clutch has on it, it may be a good idea to replace it. For you this is simple. For those of us who swap from internal to external, we need all the external parts, which can get expensive.
Unread 05-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #13
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanx again. I was planning on replacing the clutch/pressure plate while in there, and will also be installing my new inertia ring

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Unread 05-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well my one good deal fell through. However, I may have found another. Any reason an AX5 from a 87 XJ wouldnt work?

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.