Intermittent starting problem... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intermittent starting problem...

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
squattingdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Intermittent starting problem...

I am trying to track down the problem with my 90 YJ not starting every now and then... couple of questions:

How much power should run to the fuel injector? If no power, does that mean a bad ECM?

...The engine will turnover constantly and not fire. Then the next day it starts up just fine! Thanks in advance for any help...

squattingdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squattingdog
I am trying to track down the problem with my 90 YJ not starting every now and then... couple of questions:

How much power should run to the fuel injector? If no power, does that mean a bad ECM?

...The engine will turnover constantly and not fire. Then the next day it starts up just fine! Thanks in advance for any help...
If the engine is turning I don't think it's a bad ECM?
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

We need more info, Engine, trans, mods to the engine, when maint was done, etc.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
BASSPLAYER1

I had the same prob. when it got cold out it waseven worse!!! It was my computer!!!! I own a 95 yj 2.5 5 speed.

Good Luck
BASSPLAYER1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
squattingdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stock 2.5L engine, stock AX5 tranny, with split fire spark plugs, msd 8mm wires. Regular maintenance is kept up. ...I posted this thread last night and now it is running??
Unread 03-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
squattingdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSPLAYER1
I had the same prob. when it got cold out it waseven worse!!! It was my computer!!!! I own a 95 yj 2.5 5 speed.

Good Luck
How can you test the computer? Is it a driveway job or is there special tools involved?
Unread 03-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
MudDancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squattingdog

I had similar problem with my 87 YJ, 2.5l 4banger, TBI, stock. I thought it had something to do with my fuel pump. What I found was 2 Relays that transmitted electrical signals to componets (such as fuel and ignition). Also known as (ASD) Auto Shutdown relay. They are located on passenger side next to battery, one was black the other blue plugs. the cost was around $8.00 each. After replacing them my problem was cured.
MudDancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
squattingdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well i will definitely will replace them and keep the progress posted....thanks
Unread 03-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
squattingdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

..Replaced both the relays...nothing has changed The same problem still exists...maybe a 12 pound hammer??
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I went through something like this last week, but when I traced the wires going to the fuel pump I found a 4 foot section that was dead.
Check to see if you are getting power to the fuel pump, clean your crank position sensor, clean all your grounds and connections, check for cracks in the distributor cap and see if the rotor is good.
I started replacing too many things and it was a simple piece of new wire and she starts and runs everytime. Trace all the wires to the pump and test them every foot. There is a section that wears out just above the rear axle where the wire rubs on the frame. Mine wore through the plastic protector.
It's worth a shot and at least you'll know if you have power to the pump, then you can eliminate other things as you go.
Good luck.
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
squattingdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the help... will definitely check this tomorrow...I'm sure if the problem persists then I'll be back on here asking more questions lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.