Intermittent Starting Issue Fixed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intermittent Starting Issue Fixed

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
kbson
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Intermittent Starting Issue Fixed

I've learned a lot from this forum, and just wanted to post this in case it helps someone in the future. I was having intermittent starting issues. Some days the engine would start right up, some days I would get no crank at all. I thought the starter motor was bad, because I could knock the old starter and get it to start on a few occasions (this turned out to be just a coincidence).

I took the starter to AutoZone and they put it on their tester and it failed. Cool. Problem solved (in hind-sight this may have been a coincidence as well because the guy might have hooked up the starter to the machine incorrectly based on the fact that when he hit the test button it blew a breaker in the wall panel-haha). New starter was installed in a few minutes. The Jeep started up just fine for a couple of days, then back to the same intermittent issue, only this time it would fail more often than start.

I tested the following:
- I could start the jeep by jumping the battery and ignition terminals on the starter with a screwdriver. Starter motor was fine.
- I was getting constant power to the starter relay in the power distribution center (aka PDC, fuse box) as it should
- I could hear/feel the starter relay clicking when the key was turned to 'start'. For good measure I even swapped it with one of the other identical relays in the PDC. Same thing…relay clicked, starter did not crank. Relays are fine. Ignition switch must be fine.

That left me feeling that the issue must be between the starter relay in the PDC and the starter. I followed the green wire from the ignition terminal on the starter solenoid back up towards the PDC. The wire went into a wiring loom then came back out of the wiring loom and into a connector. I though I would check the resistance of the green wire, so I went to disconnect this connector. When I started wiggling the connector, the green wire pretty much just fell out of the female connector. So there was my intermittent issue…sometimes it was making contact inside the connector and sometimes it wasn't. I disassembled the connector, reseated the wire (with a dab of solder this time) and put the connector back together. Plugged it in and problem solved. It took me a while to figure out how to take the connector apart, so maybe these pictures will help someone. It starts with using something like a pick to pull the white retainer out (there's a little hole that a pick fits in perfectly). Then push the metal part out toward the wire side of the connector. There is a small tab inside the connector from the female end that you might need to mess with when taking apart/putting back together. Use a very small flat screwdriver.

img_1940.jpg

img_1915.jpg

img_1916.jpg

img_1928.jpg

img_1931.jpg

img_1939.jpg

Last edited by kbson; 01-13-2014 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: typos
kbson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the great write up and pix. Very neat soldering job and professional habits.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great info. Thanks for the writeup!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
mipstien
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've been having a similar issue and this is giving me a couple of ideas to look into. Thank you for the write up and pictures!
mipstien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I had the same thing going on about a year ago. It has stopped doing it but I will look at this. I bought the switch that the key pull rod goes in to but have not changed it.

Tags
crank , intermittent , start , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.