intermittent no start/surge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > intermittent no start/surge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
baddkarmaracing
1995 YJ Wrangler 

intermittent no start/surge

my 95 yj has an intermittent starting problem, and i have been chasing it for the past couple weeks

heres the deal: when it wont start the check engine,and upshift light (its 5spd) will not come on when i turn the key to the run position, and it will turnover but never fire as long as want it too. but when it does start they both come on.

if i turn the key and back on and leave it in the run position for a while i will here a relay clicking and then magically it will start. i figured out that th clicking relay is for autoshutdown and replaced it thinking that would solve my problem but of course not, that would be too easy,so i talked to some friends about it and everybody said crank sensor so i replaced it and that didnt help a bit. i have been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this damn thing out but cant find anything wrong.

so does anybody have any ideas? and sorry for the novel lol

Unread 02-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
baddkarmaracing
1995 YJ Wrangler 

oh and driving down the road it has an intermittent surge problem
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
baddkarmaracing
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok i have tried everything i can think of short of blowing it up.
heres a list of things i have replaced:
1. distributor cap
2. rotor in distributor
3. electronic pickup in distributor
4. plugs/wires
5. speed sensor (mopar tech suggested this)
6. up stream o2 sensor (had a check engine light and only code pointed to this)
7. oil and filter (needed change bad, wasnt expecting this to fix it)
8. crank position sensor

somebody help me please this is driving me crazy
Unread 02-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
baddkarmaracing
1995 YJ Wrangler 

seriously nobody has an idea????
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
V8HAHA

We've just puchased a 93 2.5l, it's it's seeming to have a similar issue. It's had a low idle issue, but only when coming to a stop when driving. I may have found that issue to be a very clogged PCV valve. I have it unhooked from that and it seems to have picked the stopping idle up.

Today it wouldn't start after lunch. let it sit for about 20 minutes, and it started up. It did stutter a few times when I first tried to pull out (also 5 speed). It drives, accelerates, and decelerates fine. Took it home, found the PCV issue, but checked the throttle body it's a little dirty but not blocked or obstructed in any way. I didn't check the IAC or any other sensor, but did test for vacuum leaks with starting fluid and found nothing. Then buttoned it up due to time, and took it for a spin, all seemed well. let it sit for another hour or so before I had to go out again, and it had a hard start issue again, but started on the 2nd try.

I haven't changed anything but plugs and air filter...but wasn't real excited about just replacing all the ignition parts to chase this...

Anyone else?
V8HAHA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #6
Larry93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check for possible low voltage to fuse block. Check for corrosion.
Larry93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
JIBTEXHNKA
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Check out this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/

Sounds like that's what you've got - you're not getting fuel or spark (or your check engine light) because the ECM doesn't know it's supposed to be on. If you leave the key in the "on" position eventually it turns on and runs your fuel pump and gives power to the ignition.

Washington Virtual Jeep Club
JIBTEXHNKA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.