Intermittant wiper switch question.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intermittant wiper switch question..

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Intermittant wiper switch question..

Does anyone know if the intermittent wiper switch/turn signal switch from a tilt wheel column fit into a non tilt column? They are different P/N but whats the difference? I have the switch in my old tilt column and want to swap it into the new non tilt but I really don't want to tear both columns down only to find out it totally won't work. Plus I'd rather sell the tilt column (auto) whole if it's a no go.. Thanks

Unread 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Like you mentioned, the p/n's are different between the two applications. Just by comparing the photos of the two, the one for the tilt appears to have a longer wire harness and the wires are attached on a different location of the switch. I assume this is to allow for the tilt movement of the column. It may work with a tilt column intermittent switch in a fixed column, but not the other way around. Of course this is only a guess on my part, and if no one chimes in who actually has done it, then you will end up being the guinea pig for others that face this situation in the future. Good luck!
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We'll see if I get the motivation to do a tear down... It looks like alot of little work.. I can turn wrenches very well but the little stuff can get me aggravated real quick
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I understand the hesitation about tearing down the tilt column. When I installed the intermittent switch into my standard column it was a major P.I.T.A., but worth the trouble when all was said and done. Intermittent wipers are worth any work it takes to make it happen IMHO.
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Idaholtby, what parts did you use to get intermittent wipers in your Jeep. I was thinking of hitting up the local Jalopy Jungle and grabbing parts off an XJ. What all do I need? Just the switch and controller or is there extry wiring i'm gonna have to juggle with?
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I went with all new parts when I upgraded to the intermittent wipers. I'm not saying that you can do so with junk yard parts. In the very least get a new intermittent wiper control module, (used ones are suspect), beyond that, you will need a new stalk and switch(internal to the steering column) in order for the intermittent wiper function to work. You will have to tear down the steering column in order to do this. It is a bit of work, but the end result is worth it. When I did mine, I sourced all new parts, some from Quadratec and some OEM. The switch and stalk was aftermarket, while the control module was OEM. I have never had a problem with this mod and could not be more happy with it.
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the hijack, where did you source the control module from? My factory intermittent wipers, are, well intermittent!
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

grab all you can from the junkyard cherokees... they are just taped/valcrowed up under the dash

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KAS View Post
Sorry for the hijack, where did you source the control module from? My factory intermittent wipers, are, well intermittent!
As far as the intermittent control module,.. I went with a new OEM from the dealership. You can get it far cheaper from the yard off of a Cherokee (like previously mentioned), but these seem to be problematic, I chose not to deal with that. You can choose either way, it all depends on your wallet vs quality. Your choice. It is a krap shoot with a used module.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.