Interior options other than rhinoline? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Interior options other than rhinoline?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Interior options other than rhinoline?

Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of my build and we're almost ready to do something to the interior. I had planned all along to have it all rhinolined. I was chatting with my cousin and he has concerns with doing that. The reasons he suggests it might be a problem:
  • It's really difficult to remove if I ever want to do it over
  • It's hard to keep out of the bolt holes and have it still look good
  • It's not terribly more durable than paint if you get the right stuff (he is the painter so I'm not sure exactly what he is talking about)

What do you guys think? I can agree that I think a painted surface would look nicer. Assuming he has a product in mind that can provide the durability needed I might go that route.

Has anyone else done something other than rhinoline?

Thanks
-JV

jvallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...-liner-875162/
/thread
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard of Monstaliner. Is there an advantage over rhinoline? We've already got the Jeep completely taken apart and have access to a paint booth and all of the equipment we need. It seems to me Monstaliner is targeted at roll-on DIY applications.
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mosnta can be sprayed as well. That link I posted is a 350 is page thread in the vendor forum. Read up. And ask questions. Magnet man will answer them right away. His service is top notch
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, x2 on the Monstaliner. It's sexy as hell, strong, flexible, and UV permanent. Plus it's really well-priced, and easy to use. I think there hasn't been a single person who's used Monsta and been even close to less than totally happy with it. It's incredible. Did I mention sexy?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-tj-evolution-lady-1183495/"]My Totally Rad Build Thread[/URL]
SarahRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

my vote goes to U-Pol Raptor

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...ng-tub-580879/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...-rocks-867787/

Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

monstaliner. i have used 4 gallons of monsta on my rig over the past 2 years during my re-build. uv permanent, spray or roll, hard as heck, very user friendly, and the best customer service i have ever seen from any internet vendor. also if you do nick it up you can just touch it up. try to get the line-x or rhino shop to just spray a few ounces over a portion with some rock rash on it or where you dropped a half a load of cinderblocks on it.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
jvallery
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What about removing monstaliner if I decide to go a different direction later. How does one go about that?
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

most bed liners are designed NOT to be removed. Monsta is no exception. Granted the cheap ones will remove themselves for you no problem. Both my Duplicolor spry in garbage in the YJ and the Herculiner in the bed of my Ram are peeling badly. the here i can pull up in strips by hand in the areas its been peeling. the Duplicolor i can scratch off with my fingernail. Monsta would probably need to be ground off
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Redlightracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvallery View Post
What about removing monstaliner if I decide to go a different direction later. How does one go about that?
Just ask your self one question , what the hell would you do down the road? Put carpet in , want it a different color? we have the DIY stuff from advance auto parts and it was sprayed on with a gravity gun(body shop did it) And we love it! It was a lot more durable than paint, I was think like your friend and the paint shop said if you paint it , it will scratch ! The great thing about the DIY stuff no matter what kind , if it does scratch or chip you can touch it up and you cant tell! (has not happened to me on our job) ONE Thing you have to do is PREP IT RIGHT clean the tub, sand with sand paper the tub , clean the tub, roll the on the bed liner !!! Go for it you will love it we did our roll bar to and no problems !!!

here are pics of our jeep and you can see it sanded down b4 the rino liner .
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/o...ation-1254165/
Redlightracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
SarahRose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Monstaliner isn't designed to be removed. It would be tough to get off. Probably you'd have to grind it off, like 92 Green YJ said. But NOBODY who's done monstaliner has ever wanted to take it off. Just sayin'

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-tj-evolution-lady-1183495/"]My Totally Rad Build Thread[/URL]
SarahRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
bdheaton
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If for some crazy reason you wanted to put carpet back in the rig, it could go right over the monstaliner. I just got some in. I'll be trying it out on my new bumper this weekend.
bdheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
Grenadierbeef
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have also used the Monstaliner. This stuff is great. Stripped out the interior and sprayed it in. I used to do automotive refinishing years ago and from my experience in both painting and using the Monstaliner I will address you concerns.

1. Not sure how your "factory paint"is holding up in your interior now. I can only assume it needs some attention or you would be considering spending the money in a different area. With that being the assumption do you really want to have to do all that work again to repaint. Because regardless of what paint you use it will get scratched and chipped. I'm not saying monstaliner will not chip if hit just right but I can promise its alot easier to cover and conceal than paint. If your looking for that show room reflection of yourself every time you look down while driving wondering where that noise is coming from look then go with paint.

2. What other possible direction besides paint or bed liner could you go inside the tub? I say if your looking for a worry free interior go with the monstaliner. If your looking to possibly chrome plate the interior in the future, sure paint is probably easier to remove. I just can't think of a reason why you would want to remove it.

3. If keeping bedliner out of bolt holes is an excuse for your painter not wanting to use it then find a new painter. I had my 8 and 6 year old putting foam ear plugs in the bolt holes and we waded up newspaper in the drain holes. This was the easiest part of the prep. If this is to hard for your painter then I would definitely question how the final job is going to turn out. Prep is key.

All of this being said, I went through the same thing when I decided to do the monstaliner. I'm a fanatic when it comes to having the paint inside and out looking good (I'm still fighting the urge to spray the exterior with monstaliner because I like the shine of paint). I had also never heard of an interior done in bedliner. I finally had to ask myself a question. What was the primary purpose of my jeep? For me it will be used mostly for hunting and trail riding (not a daily driver). I also had to determine my budget. For me the monstaliner made more sense because it was quite a bit cheaper than the rino, linex, and the paint. Being cheaper it is allowing me to put my money in other more needed areas. If you roll it on you save even more money because you don't have to make sure everything is masked off.

As far a the decision between monstaliner and upol my decision was based on manufacturer provided color and incentives. Upol is tintable but you have to go to a paint store to get the color. I was able to do a one stop shop with monstaliner and it was delivered to my front door within the week. This equaled more savings because I didn't waste the gas driving to a paint store. Monstaliner also provided me with a free can of chassis saver with the promo code and they also sometimes have a free shipping promo.

I hope in some way this helps.
Grenadierbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

You don't have many options unless Martha Stewart has something new up her sleeve

- exposed paint
- carpet
- bedliner
- wallpaper?
- Faux finish

People don't bedline a tub with intentions of changing their minds.

There are many choices on the market. You have contractor spray-ins like Line-X, Rhino or dozen + other less known brands that are not DIY products and will cost $500 to $1000 +

Then there are the DIY items either rolled or sprayed, $50 to $150

Is there a difference between contractor spray and DIY, YES

Without going into chemistry, it's all based on your budget and what you feel is necessary to spend. If budget is tight but you are concerned with durability, cleanability.. stay away from duplicolor, herculiner or durabak.

If pockets are deep and full you can drop more cash on a non-diy product of choice. Line-x is prob the top choice

That's my .02 and I didn't even mention our product once

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvallery View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of my build and we're almost ready to do something to the interior. I had planned all along to have it all rhinolined. I was chatting with my cousin and he has concerns with doing that. The reasons he suggests it might be a problem:
  • It's really difficult to remove if I ever want to do it over
  • It's hard to keep out of the bolt holes and have it still look good
  • It's not terribly more durable than paint if you get the right stuff (he is the painter so I'm not sure exactly what he is talking about)

What do you guys think? I can agree that I think a painted surface would look nicer. Assuming he has a product in mind that can provide the durability needed I might go that route.

Has anyone else done something other than rhinoline?

Thanks
-JV
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenadierbeef View Post
3. If keeping bedliner out of bolt holes is an excuse for your painter not wanting to use it then find a new painter. I had my 8 and 6 year old putting foam ear plugs in the bolt holes and we waded up newspaper in the drain holes. This was the easiest part of the prep. If this is to hard for your painter then I would definitely question how the final job is going to turn out.

For everyone and anyones info, I've done 4 jeep tubs and 20+ pickup beds and never once plugged any holes for seats hardware or bed tiedowns

As long as you are not waiting 10 + days to bolt stuff back all you do is take an x-acto knife and twirl it in the bolt hole to get the excess coating out. Little WD40 spray helps also

Line-x or other contractor sprayed polyurea plugged holes would be a different issue since that reaches most of its hardness immediately and you would need a tap to ream out the holes
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.