Interior Lighting and Radio issue- Please help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
someoldyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Interior Lighting and Radio issue- Please help!

I canít find another thread that exactly matches the issue Iím having so Iím looking for some guidance.

Some back story:

A few months back, I bought a decent (or so I thought) 93 jeep yj as a side project Ö It took a few months of searching, but I finally found a rust free frame 93yj with a 4.0, new 2.5in lift and no other mods. I most likely overpaid for the thing, but it is what it is. Be ready for lots of questions. Iíve started to tear into the thing and noticed quite a few issues that I need to address, plus a lot of dirt under the dash...

So the first thing I wanted to do was replace the radio. The previous radio would not keep the presets if you turned the car off, so my thought was that the PO didnít wire it correctly. So I ripped the old radio out, wired up the new radio to the wiring harness and plugged it in. I couldnít get it to turn on.

So here goes my limited diagnosing skill. I checked my connections to the original radio harness, re-soldered and tried again. Nothing. So then my thought was that the radio was bad, so I wired directly to the battery and low and behold it turned on with the red aux from the original harness and the yellow power from the radio connected directly to the battery. So itís the yellow circuit the radios plugged into which is the issue.

When I bought the jeep, the interior lights would only come on if the key was either in the aux position, or turned on. I checked the wiring and you know what I noticed; the same yellow circuit that was giving my radio trouble connected to the interior lighting. So I cracked open a repair manual I found online (thanks Redneck Garage) and looked at the interior lighting wiring diagram. Not sure what Iím looking at or even where I should start checking with the volt meter.

I checked my fuses and they were all good. My door grounds are all fine and the bulbs are good as well. If I connect everything in the below sequence, I can tell that the dimmer switch is working. Everything else in the jeep is working. I also checked the interior fuse panel for fuses 7 and 10 and both have 11.8v coming from the block. I did notice that there was an orange and white wire hanging down, but I think that it has to do with the radio illumination so Iím not too worried about that (if not please warn me now).

I can get both the radio working, as well as the interior lighting if I connect both the jeep radio yellow circuit from the jeep radio harness + yellow wire from the radio + a wire directly to the battery positive terminal.
Any ideas on where to begin? Where would the power enter the circuit? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

93 Jeep YJ 4.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2015, 12:59 PM
1949er
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The aftermarket Radios W/memory have 2 power legs , one is switched for power & the other is constant 12v for memory and usually the wiring layout is on the unit itself , the interior lighting is also hot all the time and is switched with the dimmer control or the door jam switch to get the ground.

EDIT-- Factory radio has switched power only and the interior lighting on my YJ with hard top had the dome light wires in the top harness with hard top gone and re-route the constant hot and switched ground wires I now have under dash lights also mine never had the door switches .
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
someoldyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response.

I noticed that my interior lighting comes in though the 20a fuse 8 and enters the headlamp switch through a pink/red wire. It looks thicker than the other wires.
The power is reading 12.23v so its hot.

I then traced the wire to the headlamp switch. The diagram shows as a black/yellow wire coming out of the headlamp switch. When I take a reading of the black/yellow wire and the switch off, I get no power through bk/yl. If I turn the light switch on, I get power to the bk/yl wire which reads 11.84v.

From the radio, the constant 12v yellow should be connected to the pink from the factory wiring harness, but when I check that connection, I get no constant power. The acc red cable has power when the key is on.

Should I get no power through the bk/yl wire when the headlight switch is off? If so, that could explain why my yellow circuit is not getting power.

The jeep also has a factory hardtop which is currently off. Do I need to do something to the rear hardtop connector to complete the circuit? Sorry if its a stupid question.
Attached Thumbnails
YJ Int Diagram 1.jpg  

93 Jeep YJ 4.0

Last edited by someoldyj; 11-28-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I pressed submit too soon.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-28-2015, 04:01 PM
1949er
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll see if I can get some wire colors for you tomorrow .
post #5 of 8 Old 11-29-2015, 03:19 PM
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

post #6 of 8 Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
someoldyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Paulsadog that was my post on the other fourm. I appreciate the help in sorting out my issue.

Thanks 1949er for the offer on getting wire colors. I'm learning slowly how to read the wiring schematics.

Needed some assistance pretty quick since I wouldn't be able to work on the jeep for a few weeks. Only had a day left before I had to leave.

Turns out I had an issue with corrosion on a wire leading into the fuse box. Replaced the wire and was able to get the lights and radio circuit to become hot. Some how I blew the fuse in the engine compartment fuse box, so replaced it again and haven't had an issue since. Didn't have a chance to run the car for more than a few min before leaving. I'll follow up if I have another issue.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-30-2015, 07:12 AM
1949er
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I used a pink wire from the top harness ( constant hot ) and pulled it forward for the interior lights , the ground connector on my 94 was at each corner of the dash and that is a pale yellow/straw ?? color to me - bad color vision Ha HA - that is a double wire that goes to ground when dimmer is rolled to dome position , my radio is in a center console now and haven't been able to confirm the wires yet but there is only 3 being used from factory plug , I need to pull my heater control for repair & will figure out what wires the radio uses as under dash access is limited with the A/C unit.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM
1949er
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pulled the radio today and the wires from the factory plug used on mine are yellow - constant 12v - orange / white tracer ? and red keyed 12v there is a black ground also , this is on a 94 YJ and factory speaker wiring is abandoned .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.