Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Interior Door Handle breaking

8K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  xeroid81 
#1 ·
I own a 95 YJ. Have broken 3 interior door handles.
2 on the drivers side and 1 on the passengers side.
The plastic handles do not take the pressure required to release.
I have adjusted and lubed the door release mechanism, but stil breaking the door handle.
My question is :
Are there any after market interior door handles that are made of metal or something stronger than the plastic stock OE?
Any help would be much appreciated.

sreno

#2 ·
easy there hammer hands...

Sorry that's not helping, I have never seen aftermarket that were not plastic. Why don't you try and fabricate some sort of support? I actually can't even remember how the handles are shaped, even though I touch it every day, but i'm sure there would be a way of strengthening them up. I'll look later and see if I have any ideas.

#4 ·
I have replaced several of them, since I have broken many of them.
They are not too bad.
You get real good at taking off the window crank, door strap, and door cover.
A couple of rods connected to the interior door release and one screw and their you have it.

#6 ·
Still looking. I've gone through 2 sets of the cheap plastic crappy ones on the left side. I think part of the problem in the seal around the door makes it hard to open and close. The handle can't handle the extra pressure needed to unjam the door. (plus my husbands hands)

#7 ·
I've broken the original and two of my "fixes" so far. That little plastic piece that holds the bars is the culprit in my case. Opening the window and reaching outside gets old ;) but what ya gonna do? Doors are off now, but I too have to fix this again. AL would be sweet. Let me know too if you find that vendor.

#8 ·
Guys, to be honest I was not looking. No one responded and this post is over 2 years.

I cannot find the receipt now but took some pics so folks do not think I am nuts. These are very solidly built. Have not broke the aluminum version in ~ 4 years.

I think (?) I got these off eBay but searched just now on both eBay and the web....nothing.

Attachments

#10 ·
I know that this is on old post. I pm'd the OP for a source for those inner door handles. Hopefully for me and everyone else he found his receipt and we can all end the inner broken door handle nightmare!!!!:D

#13 ·
I did that just in case but the El Cheahpo Dorman handle broke at the socket where the rod goes through the plastic handle......again. :brickwall
I am hoping to find the aluminum units stevehoj mentioned.
In the meantime I have been tinkin' about creating a mod to make the plastic handle stronger or to replace it completely. If I create a new unit I will start a new thread about my 'ventures' but mention the new link here also.

#14 ·
Just stumbled across this zombie thread, and OMG, must...have...billet...handles. Found a company called Petroworks, who makes those handles... for Samurai'. Only. Wtf. Having those cast or machined would b cost prohibitive. And... obviously, someone made the ones pictured, so let's find em.

#15 ·
Ok guys, I will once again look through all my receipts tonight. I keep everything and to be frank, it ticks me off I could not find the source where I got these years ago.

I still have the Jeep and they are nice handles. No issues with installation besides opening up the door recess slightly so they slippped in better (little die grinder work).

Will report back.

#16 ·
Had a pair of these and like folks are saying they came off ebay. Turns out there was enough variance in the factory fitment (all encompassing words) that the seller finally gave up and discontinued them.

On mine I had to mill the sides as they were too tall. Which ultimately cased them to crack because the aluminum was so thin.

My belief is that the seller got a pair of handles and designed his pattern/tooling around THAT pair. Then found out the hard way the differences between the years. While the plastic handles were patterned off a different model are turned out to be a more generic fit. Suspect that Chrysler used various vendors for the handles and doors through the years and each vendor made them a bit different.

#17 ·
Had a pair of these and like folks are saying they came off ebay. Turns out there was enough variance in the factory fitment (all encompassing words) that the seller finally gave up and discontinued them.

On mine I had to mill the sides as they were too tall. Which ultimately cased them to crack because the aluminum was so thin.

My belief is that the seller got a pair of handles and designed his pattern/tooling around THAT pair. Then found out the hard way the differences between the years. While the plastic handles were patterned off a different model are turned out to be a more generic fit. Suspect that Chrysler used various vendors for the handles and doors through the years and each vendor made them a bit different.
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards a fix of my own design....unless I screw it up, then it is off to buy yet another handle.

#20 ·
No luck folks; did not find anything. Like I thought, and stated by others above, I believe they were an eBay item and maybe that is why I never kept a receipt.

Take care.
Thank you for looking!

#19 ·
those are sweet looking!! the old 93 we used to have had broken handles when we bought it but i put replacement ones in and never broke them again. my 87 has never broken and the dang door seals are super fluffy so you really have to slam the door and it puts a lot of stress on the latch, i bet.

but, those suckers are sweet. i wouldn't mind having some either, just for the cool factor

#25 ·
I installed after market (metal) cj type handles 14 years ago and never had a problem since. I don't care much for straps. Never have. The holes line up perfectly. The only thing I did was to use the little chrome end pieces from the originals under the screws purely for cosmetics. I got them from JCW for about 8 bucks each IIRC. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.