Intake vs Carb vs Cam - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intake vs Carb vs Cam

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus89YJ View Post
If you can give me some quick direction on uploading pictures I will add a picture of the head gasket as well as a picture of the block
The forum software won't let you post pics early on .

You can upload the pics here

TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

And post a link to each photo.

Unread 10-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #17
Corpus89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the pictures of the head gasket and the engine block.

Corpus89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #18
Corpus89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If someone can come up with something better to do with it than pull it and re-ring it, I am all for it. I dont really mind doing it, but I am not totally convinced that it is going to fix the problem and that is a lot of work just to hope it gets better. I said earlier that after it runs for about 5 minutes there is already oil coming out of the fill plug, some other places it comes out that I can see are the dipstick tube and the vent on the back of the valve cover. Also, I started it the other day (after the head gasket was replaced) and I didnt have the air cleaner housing on and it blew the pvc out of its grommet. I am starting to think that when I pull the oil pan I am going to find parts of rings laying in it, or find that whomever did the engine work the first time put the rings on in the wrong order or upside down or something.

For the record, the odo shows right around 200,000 on it but the engine has been rebuilt before. You cant see it in the picture but the piston says its .40 over.

Last edited by Corpus89YJ; 10-12-2010 at 06:43 AM..
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus89YJ View Post
The head and the pistons all look brand new and you can still see the cross hatching in the cylinders. I bought the Jeep from a guy that used it as a hunting vehicle and I talked with his mechanic and they estimate that the motor has roughly 30,000 on it.

then:

For the record, the odo shows right around 200,000 on it but the engine has been rebuilt before. You cant see it in the picture but the piston says its .40 over.

This changed everything. A field overhaul that is blowing head gaskets indicates a botched job.

Everything on that engine would be suspect in my book. Rather than spend money on that one, I would consider finding another engine. Maybe your accessories can be re-used.
Unread 10-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
Corpus89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok for those of you helping me out, thank you. I got on Craigslist and found a cheap 4.2 that a guy is selling. I do have a question though. His has a plastic valve cover and mine is aluminum, are these interchangeable? I still think I am going to pull the motor and rebuild it, but this way it will give me time to get it machined and done correctly this time. I guess the reason I am asking about the valve cover is because I could just swap them as I get closer to completing the rebuild. The guy has an offenhauser intake and a header that go with it but everything is from an 85 model. Do you guys see any problem with swapping out parts from an 85 to an 89? In the pictures of the 85 it looks like the fuel pump is on the opposite side of the block and some other minor differences, should I expect to have to modify the wiring harness for different sensors and stuff or is all of that going to be in the same place.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Corpus89YJ; 10-12-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Unread 10-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #21
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The valve covers are not a straight swap as far as I know. If I was building that motor I would install a 4.0 head and Comp cam/lifters. Upgrading the power while it is being rebuilt is cheaper that doing it down the road.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
camshaft , carburator , intake manifold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.