Intake Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intake Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-26-2002, 04:28 PM   #1
jfarrell

Intake Question

If I put a later model cone style K&N filter setup on my 90 YJ 2.5L with TBI will it cause it to run lean? Just wondering, looking for some more umh as all the 4 bangers are!

jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 05:22 PM   #2
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't run lean it will get more air. If you need more umph for your 2.5L go here

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/jyokomura/tech/throttlebody01/index.html" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/jyokomura/tech/throttlebody01/index.html</a>

I have some 4.0 TB's here for sale, i'm asking $75 for them shipped.
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2002, 10:35 PM   #3
jfarrell

Thanks for the response! My only concern is that it is a Throttle Body Injected engine and that the fuel injector is also inside of the throttle body. I know that 89 and 90's were made this way, changed to port injection in '91. I just wanted to make sure that this mod wouldn't cause the mixture to run off because of the fact that its getting more air. I know the fuel injector pulses in response to the position of the TPS that's why I was concerned that the engine might run in a lean condition. Has anyone done any mods with the TBI 4 bangers, anyone else curious? I wish that I would have found a 91, it would make this mod so much easier!
jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2002, 10:25 AM   #4
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I totally forgot about that the 90's have TBI (the 3 bolt as opposed to the 4 bolt ones on MPFI) The ones I have are all for MPFI...
04' Dodge Ram

Unread 03-28-2002, 09:31 PM   #5
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, I have a 4.0 liter TBI throttle body from an 87-90 Cherokee. I mistakenly bought it to put on my '94 not realizing there was a difference. It's just sitting on a shelf gathering dust. It doesn't have any sensors, and I'm not sure if the injector is the same but you could find out from a dealer. I just want at least some of my $$ back out of it. Find out if it will work then email me if you want it. I'll sell it for $20 plus shipping from 64114. I also get cheap shipping through work. Same goes for anyone else needing a TBI throttle body.

Thanks,
Tommy
tgraves01@msn.com

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Click the link on my sig for more 4 banger stuff!
04' Dodge Ram

Unread 03-29-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

The engine's computer should re-adjust when it senses more air intake, shouldn't it? I would say it will adjust the fuel to make the right mix. Shouldn't be a problem.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.