Intake Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Intake Question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-26-2002, 03:28 PM   #1
jfarrell

Intake Question

If I put a later model cone style K&N filter setup on my 90 YJ 2.5L with TBI will it cause it to run lean? Just wondering, looking for some more umh as all the 4 bangers are!

jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't run lean it will get more air. If you need more umph for your 2.5L go here

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/jyokomura/tech/throttlebody01/index.html" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/jyokomura/tech/throttlebody01/index.html</a>

I have some 4.0 TB's here for sale, i'm asking $75 for them shipped.
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2002, 09:35 PM   #3
jfarrell

Thanks for the response! My only concern is that it is a Throttle Body Injected engine and that the fuel injector is also inside of the throttle body. I know that 89 and 90's were made this way, changed to port injection in '91. I just wanted to make sure that this mod wouldn't cause the mixture to run off because of the fact that its getting more air. I know the fuel injector pulses in response to the position of the TPS that's why I was concerned that the engine might run in a lean condition. Has anyone done any mods with the TBI 4 bangers, anyone else curious? I wish that I would have found a 91, it would make this mod so much easier!
jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2002, 09:25 AM   #4
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I totally forgot about that the 90's have TBI (the 3 bolt as opposed to the 4 bolt ones on MPFI) The ones I have are all for MPFI...
04' Dodge Ram

Unread 03-28-2002, 08:31 PM   #5
PoorFool
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, I have a 4.0 liter TBI throttle body from an 87-90 Cherokee. I mistakenly bought it to put on my '94 not realizing there was a difference. It's just sitting on a shelf gathering dust. It doesn't have any sensors, and I'm not sure if the injector is the same but you could find out from a dealer. I just want at least some of my $$ back out of it. Find out if it will work then email me if you want it. I'll sell it for $20 plus shipping from 64114. I also get cheap shipping through work. Same goes for anyone else needing a TBI throttle body.

Thanks,
Tommy
tgraves01@msn.com

www.kcjeepclub.org
PoorFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 09:22 AM   #6
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Click the link on my sig for more 4 banger stuff!
04' Dodge Ram

Unread 03-29-2002, 11:44 AM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

The engine's computer should re-adjust when it senses more air intake, shouldn't it? I would say it will adjust the fuel to make the right mix. Shouldn't be a problem.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.